“Now I remember why I don't go there”
Review of Home Plate

Home Plate
Ranked #26 of 171 Restaurants in Dunedin
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Home Plate is a cozy restaurant that serves Home Cooking with a twist. Open for breakfast and lunch daily. Featuring Lobster Benedict, banana pancakes, build your own omelet, quesadillas, shrimp burgers,wraps, burgers, salads, and homemade desserts.
Dunedin
“Now I remember why I don't go there”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I went for Sunday breakfast. The occupancy was way below half full, maybe 30%, so that were definitely not slammed.

I had to ask for a coffee refill 5 times. I had to ask for water 3 times. The pancake was burnt and I'm not sure what they are using for the sausage and bacon, but it didn't taste like any pork product I have ever had.

Oh wait, I exaggerated, I didn’t have to ask for coffee 5 times. She asked me twice if I wanted more coffee and then did not bring it. Then I had to ask 3 more times.

Even though I live right around the corner from Iris', I hadn't been in there for over a year. Now I remember why I don't go there and hopefully I won't forget again.

• Visited April 2012

Tarpon Springs, Florida
“Too pricey... used to be more family oriented at a lowe cost”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Great atmospher, but was dissapointed to see the prices get upped so much. Breakfast is not that expensive. I would rather go somewhere else and get more if I am going to pay that money!

Visited February 2012
Largo, Florida
“Love this dinner.”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

In the mood for home cooking, you need to check our Iris'. Have been there for breakfast but love the home cooked lunch items. Pot pie is the BEST, better than Mom. And don't forget the cobbler. The black berry is my favorite. Service is good even though this place gets busy. They never forget you. Worth the stop.

Visited January 2012
Florida
“Just a little bit disappointed”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

This was our second visit to Iris' because it's almost across the street from the Blue Jays stadium in Dunedin and we were visiting the area for a Toronto Blue Jays spring training game. We returned because we'd eaten here a year ago during spring training and were pleased. Despite the old facility needing renovations (torn seats, etc) we remembered the food being good and the prices being reasonable.
This visit wasn't as satisfying because, as of a couple weeks ago, they stopped serving breakfast at 11:00 a.m. on game days. We arrived at noon and had a list of only 6 or 8 menu items to choose from ... hamburgers, sandwiches, etc. The only breakfast item available was quiche with feta, tomatos, and spinach. Since we wanted breakfast, we ordered quiche. We were able to select sides of fresh fruit cup and warm fresh baked banana bread, which were a consolation. Good coffee. The food was delicious and the staff was more pleasant than the typical cordial. But while we were eating our quiche, we heard another waitress put in an order for eggs over medium, which really annoyed us. Apparently the game day menu applies only to certain customers.
Quiche for two and two coffees was about $20. The unexpected perk is free parking if you want to leave your car there and go to the game. That saves $10 on parking so close to the stadium.
We'll probably go back next year if we go to spring training again, but we'll be sure to get there before eleven so we can order what we'd like for breakfast.

• Visited March 2012
San Diego, California
“A clean, family friendly place for breakfast”
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Four of us had breakfast at Iris' Family Restaurant and had eggs, an omelet, grits, potatoes, hotcakes and French toast, so we covered most of the items people want in a review. Service was thoughtful and paced well. Coffee cups never empty and syrup was WARMED and not brought to table until it was needed, so did not cool down sitting around. Prices were very reasonable and I would eat there again if in the area. We were visiting for a long weekend, but if we had stayed long enough for baseball games, it is right across the street from one of the Spring Training parks..

• Visited February 2012