“Management is lacking”

Description: (727) 734-4300
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Management is lacking”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stopped in after a day at Honeymoon Island, I will start off by saying Billy Dee was singing that night and was absolutely great. We were seated and our waitress came by and let us know she'd be with us soon. After about 10 minutes she came back by and said she had forgotten about us and would go ahead and take our drink order. While I was trying to order my drink, she interrupted me and told be to be quiet because a song came on Billy Dee was signing she thought was funny. She also mentioned later that her boss was worried she was forgetting things and chuckled -- why are you telling me this - I'm hungry and want to eat a nice meal with my girlfriend.

We ordered an appetizer that was very good, I had fried shrimp which were bland and my girlfriend had crabcakes which were fair. We ordered drinks as well - miami vice and sangria -- we like our drinks strong, but they were poorly mixed and were undrinkable. Mine was so back I sent it back and got a Corona (the waitress obliged without issue) - I have never done that in my life - I hope that tells you something. The foodrunner brought our appetizer and entrees - both times I asked him for tartar sauce and he said sure he'd get them, never did and kept walking by - they weren't that busy (about 60-70% tables full).

I grew up eating seafood in NC on the coast and have realistic expectations - they failed to meet these. Other than the appetizer and Billy Dee's singing, I would have loved to have eaten at a McDonald's or Chick-Fil-A instead of here for better service alone -- I hope that lets you know my standards are not unrealistic.

I really think that main problem here is the waitress (which would really mean that management is not doing their job - I never saw a manager walking around at all). We watched another table that was seated in her area wait for 10 minutes before being served while she stood at the table next to them and carried on a conversation for about 5 minutes with what appeared to be friends. There is something to be said for wait staff being personable, but that can be accomplished while still waiting on your other tables. This waitress was clearly not interested in doing her job -- management should either retrain her or fire her -- but as she was pretty much our sole interaction with restaurant staff, we walked away with a very poor impression of the restaurant.

In summary, the food is fair, I've had better at restaurants that were the same price or less though. The service may be better with other waitresses, it was bad with ours. I would not give them another chance - from reading reviews on Tripadvisor, there are a lot of better places in Dunedin that would eagerly take your money and in turn provide with you stellar service and outstanding food and atmosphere for a similar price.

• Visited January 2013

Stratford, Canada
“Can't wait to return”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Went in on last day of Florida trip in 2012. Drove by many times and wish we had stopped in sooner. Pulled pork was excellent, entertainment was great. Love the outdoor atmosphere. Will stop in many times in 2013.

• Visited March 2012
Venice, Florida
“so friendly”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

If you are anywhere near this place you must stop in for at least a beer. The staff is oh so nice. The beers are cheap. We didn't eat there but I hear the food is good. They have a band on the weekends. We had alot of fun and don't forget to take your pic with the shark out front...lol

• Visited December 2012
Washington DC, USA
“Live Music outdoors and room to dance”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

the food is ok and worth it to have live outdoor music on a nice warm night. i am a picky organic meatless eater but the others really like the food. it's a nice outdoor atmosphere.

Visited January 2013
Clearwater, Florida
“Great Beach Restaurant”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Go to Dunedin, FL., take the Dunedin Causeway towards Honeymoon Island (One of the best beaches in the US), ther on the right is the Island Outpost, with a Great White shark hanging on the porch. Great beach food, breakfast, lunch, and dinner with live music. Real fresh West Florida seafood fixed any way you want it.

• Visited January 2013