Tufenkian Avan Dzoraget Hotel
Golden Palace Hotel(Tsakhkadzor)
$112
$91
Hotels.com
All reviewsthe riverhotel is locatednice hotelindoor poolthe main roaddining roomroad worksdebed canyonremote locationbreakfast buffet isevening mealunder constructionhigh standardluxury hotelroad leading to the hotela nightmarereal surprise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 15, 2011

The hotel is owned by the Tukenfian carpet family and is one of 4 owned by them in Armenia. Its on the road from Tbilisi to Yerevan and is about 30 miles from the Georgia/ Armenia border. A taxi from the border will cost about $20. You can’t miss the hotel as you approach through the stunning scenery of the Debed Canyon. it’s a large modern stone structure right on the banks of the river. Our room was of a high standard. Clean and well decorated. We had hoped for a river view room but the hotel doesn’t have many of these and a tour group due in that night had taken them all. Instead we had a room facing the rear of the building with a view of the mountains. Also opposite was an apartment block inhabited by local farming people. It was a little strange to look out onto this from a luxurious room but apparently they were their first and they’re probably as bemused as were were at the fact that a posh hotel has appeared on their doorstep.

The hotel is literally in the middle of nowhere but is ideally placed to explore the local UNESCO site monasteries. There’s no where to go on a night though so we ate in the hotel. The food was good and the young waiters and waitresses were friendly. Unfortunately on the night we stayed there was a power cut for a couple of hours which also meant the water pump stopped working. I needed a shower so had a makeshift one with a couple of bottles of mineral water from the restaurant. I told the waiter what I was doing so it was a little disappointing when I was charged for them. The hotel couldn’t help the power being off but a top class hotel would normally offer these free as a goodwill gesture.

In summary- Avan Dzoragets is probably one of the top hotels in Armenia and is a stunning location. It was definitely the best class hotel we stayed in during a 9 day trip.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LS13
Reviewed May 21, 2011

The setting of this hotel is in between a breathtaking rock mountain and a river. Air is so clean a city dweller could faint. Clean rooms, friendly service (they employ village folks here), understated and cozy design, comfortable beds, and plenty of amenities, like Internet (in this rural area! - I am actually using their wi-fi connection in my room to write this), definitely make this hotel a superb place to stay, even if you are fussy. If you're too fussy - there is never a perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: Riverside rooms have a great view
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank LoveParis4ever
Reviewed November 26, 2010

I stayed at this hotel in the end of October and it was amazing. You have many tourist attractions including grand churches only ten minutes away by car. However, yoiu have the peace of a village in a luxurious setting. Food is great and so are the views. Staff is very polite all around very organized.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sev8196
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Although the setting is reasonable - apart from busy main road - and apparent 'higher' standard this hotel is purely aimed at large package tours.
We arrived (two of us) having booked a month earlier and were told there was no dinner available. (Reception was by far the rudest we encountered in Armenia.)
There were two coach parties booked in. After prevailing hotel to serve us a meal (it is in the middle of nowwhere) it was comical to watch waiter trying to take an order of 'a la carte menu' . (Food very average). Clearly a novel experience as all coach parties come in for prepared (and identical dinners - we know we saw!). Swimming pool very tatty - but obviously not used - I had to get key which again caused surprise and consternation. Breakfast was a disaster as coach party had already been (and gone) and tatty remains only were left. I can see attraction of hotel as a coach stop but not much else.
Shame as both other hotels/guest houses in Tufenkian chain in Armenia could not be faulted.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2010

The place is a visual wow! - especially in a country where most hotels are either old school cookie-cutter chain hotels or made in really bad taste Soviet- or Oligarch-style. The American-Armenian founder who has helped revive the wonderful carpet-weaving industry in Armenia has a great sense of style in an Oberoi ethnic-chic sense. Just what the country really needs. Sadly staff as still retain a Soviet-service menytality. When I found that the internet cable in my room was not working, the night receptionist said there was nothing she could do. In the end I went downstairs to insist I use her computer to tell family and friends where I was. She sais she was busy working but finally accepted to allow me 5 mins! Suggestion - put one computer in lobby for guests - most dont travel with own computers on vacation. Dinner was good but we cannot eat on the beautiful terrace outside above the river! so wre stuck indoors and could just as well be in Yerevan. Wake up guys! My balcony overlooked the river but when I opened the doors I forgot to switch off lights and within seconds the room was filled with flying insects so I had to sleep with tv on to distract them :( Pity there was no light on balcony I could use to lure them out. Food was great and as I am an omlette freak I was trilled to find a choice of three for breakfast. No espresso or Nespresso though, so bring your own Red Bull if you need a morning wake-up shot. Final warnings are that the single beds are really a tiny singles not a queensize and swimmingpool is spa-type to float in but not for those who like to swim lengths as I do. Overall, truly a fantastic visual experience and I sincerely hope that the group goes from strength to strength and imparts its sense of good taste on the oligarchs and other old school types who tend to be sitting on most of the nation's wealth. Thanks to its diaspora, Armenian hotels are becoming as cool as the majority of the people you will meet in its cities and villagers. A country filled with the kindest people you could ever wish to meet. Hope you will visit.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends