“Beautifully restored resort”
Review of Hawks Cay Resort

Hawks Cay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Reviewed October 25, 2010

We stayed 2 nights in Oct 2010. The resort was beautifully restored, the rooms large and luxurious, 2 pools- 1 for adults only, multiple hot tubs, man made lagoon. The service was top notch, valet parking, just call down and the car is there before you are. Restaurants had limited menus, maybe because we were there off season, so try local restaurants nearby instead.This was a very relaxing, beautiful resort. No negatives during our visit.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,850)

Reviewed October 24, 2010

I am so happy we chose hawks cay for our anniversary and vow renewal. We originally wanted key west but this ended up being perfect! The location is perfect, half way down the islands. The resort is beautiful, well kept and spacious but not overcrowded. We love walking around a resort to explore and there is plenty to check out here. The food was pretty great and not too pricey. We tried all three restaurants and all were great in there own ways. Every single staff member (at least 25+) was so great and friendly except one person we encountered. We also used the spa and fitness center and it was great as well and pure relaxation. We stayed at the sunset villa and although it was a short walk it was somewhat nice to be away from the action. Our unit was small but nice and updated. We liked that you could rent bikes and kayaks although we didn't get around to. The tranquility pool was awesome. So nice to be away from the kids if you choose (the point of our trip was romantic). And our highlight was an awesome vow renewal ceremony we had at the gazebo. We did it last minute and they organized with flying colors. If was so special and we were treated wonderfully. This place is perfect and great value for the cost and what you get.

1  Thank Jcjohnson1021
Reviewed October 24, 2010

Our second visit to Hawks Cay, we were really looking forward to it , and we were not disappointed.Beautiful location, stunning pools, excellent service, only one drawback, no facility to make a cup of coffee in your room in the morning, please get it sorted out, it's a basic. The resort is on the expensive side, but you know that when you book it, so don't be surprised. The food at the poolside bar is excellent ! We will be returning at some point in the future, and would fully recomend a visit to this fantastic resort.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2010

My new bride and I stayed at Hawk's Cay Resort for our honeymoon. When making reservations online, I sent a note along with my reservation information notifying the resort that this was a special trip for us as newlyweds and said I'd appreciate if they could do something special to acknowledge that when we arrived. You would think that a place that has rooms in the $500 to $600 per night range would send back a response perhaps congratulating us on our marriage or vowing to make it a honeymoon to remember. Nope, no reply. Upon arrival, a great hotel, having the knowledge that this was our honeymoon, would probably say, "Welcome, Mr. and Mrs. _____! Congratulations on your marriage!". But not this place. No acknowledgement whatsoever.

Okay, maybe there's a bottle of champagne chilling in the room, awaiting our arrival. Nope, nothing. I'm not looking for anything expensive, just maybe an inexpensive bottle of bubbly to toast to. After all, I advised them that we just got married and I am spending thousands of dollars for a 4 night stay, right?

Several hours after arrival, my wife's sister called her and asked if we found anything special in the room. Unbeknownst to us, she had contacted the resort independently and PAID them to put champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in our room. We didn't find anything like that. After a few phone calls, the resort claimed that they had erroneously reserved 2 rooms for us (like a couple on their honeymoon needs two rooms) and had placed the treats in the "other" room. They ultimately brought us the strawberries and champagne but there was no apology, no refund to the sister-in-law for failing to have it in our room as requested and there was no extra small gesture thrown in to make up for the mistake. Apparently they were right about the duplicate room, though, because I checked with my bank and found that they had placed two $500 room deposits on my credit card, eating up my remaining balance temporarily.

The room, while nicely appointed, was smaller than you would expect for that price and we had to get outside. At a bar near the pool we bought two glasses of wine. The bill was $25 dollars for two 4 ounce servings of wine served in little clear plastic cups.

Other quibbles: the room had only a single tiny trash can and it was in the bathroom. You had to walk to the bathroom to throw something away. Speaking of the bathroom, there was no exhaust fan - yuck.

Other than that, the place was great. The grounds are beautiful and festive. There are many activities to engage in. Be prepared to be "nickeled and dimed" to death. We're not cheap skates and we're pretty comfortable financially but, geez, this place knows how to milk you dry.

One more thing: this place is very popular with families with children. There must have been hundreds of them. We knew that going in so it wasn't a shock. If you don't want to be around kids, stay away from here. If you have kids and don't mind blowing money left and right like you're at a good strip club, you'll love it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Will032
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Our family really enjoyed this place. The pools and activities for my toddlers were great. I just wished we would have booked one of the villas since it has a full kitchen (restaurants are a little drive away to other islands) and the food at the resort is ok, but too pricey.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We are just back from a great five days in the Keys. The weather was awesome, and I would highly recommend going this time of year. It can be a little risky with the weather (it poured and they had 8" of rain five days before we arrived), but the lack of crowds and pushy tourists and reasonable prices at both hotels and restaurants made it even more enjoyable. The weather was 80-82 every day and there was a cool breeze most nights. The water can get a little current from the tropical winds and our snorkeling trip was a little choppy.

The resort is beautiful. I had passed it three years ago on my way to Key West and decided it was on my bucket list to come back to someday. The pools and lagoon are well taken care of and a great way to cool off and/or relax, whether with your family or as a couple. The drinks and food tend to be pricey, but they typically have a special for around $7. Going on the advice of the other reviewers and our sense when we got there, my husband only had a burger out on the Terrace one night (we ate elsewhere the rest of the time). The fries arrived cold (after they walked around with the plate for 5 minutes trying to decipher what table which order went to) and the waiter did not ask us if we wanted another round of drinks. I had asked for a crab cake from the bar menu (we had a big lunch in Miami on the way down) and I was told I could not order off that menu at this time of night (8 or 9pm). Unfortunately, I did not want a burger or pizza or chicken sandwich. I did succumb to the $3 cup of tea "to go" the next morning (in a 12oz paper cup - at least three people asked for a larger vessel), and was a little miffed, but it does include free refills until 11am. However, I have been to many 4star hotels, and they often offer free coffee and tea in the mornings.

The little stuff...this is where they fall short. We did get a great deal and the location is beautiful. I will go back again, but the little details are where you wonder if there is any real "management" there. First off, I pre-ordered champagne to our room and a fruit basket for our friends. There was no champagne when we arrived and they had no record of the order. I told them not to bother, but went through the motions to get the fruit basket "re-ordered" only to be told it could not be charged to my room. I had to pay by credit card or my friend's room would be charged. The whole premise at the resort is that you do not have to carry money or charge cards, so naturally, I did not have one on me and told the front desk not to bother. Guess what showed up at our friend's room the next day? I checked to make sure they were not charged, and so far, they were not.

The third day, we were running low on soap so I stopped at the maid's cart and asked if we could get a new bar of soap. She did not have any. She then checked 4 other rooms (some were occupied and entered without warning) and could not find any soap. She checked with two other maids down the hall and neither had soap. She then went downstairs to the supply room and no soap. It was sort of comical. I told her never mind (she got an A for effort (minus the entering other rooms without announcing herself - I hope they were clothed)), and stopped at the desk later that night on our way back from dinner. They brought me three bars of soap!

The fourth day we went fishing and sightseeing and had a great day, but came back to the resort rather late. When we arrived, ready to take showers and get to bed, we found our room had not been serviced. Since it was so late and we were tired, we called down and asked for extra towels, which were promptly delivered. A hotel like this and our room was not touched? How does that happen?

Last, we asked if we could have late checkout since we had planned activities early the morning of our last day and would need to come back and shower. We understand they were full and could not accommodate our request, but were told we could use the facilities at the marina. One of the showers there had a glass door off the tracks standing in the shower, and the other looked like the shower itself had not been cleaned (soap and residue on the walls).

I am not bothered by the concept of the resort fee, the valet parking included is a great feature, especially when the resort is full, and they had newspapers out in the morning. But the hotel misses the mark for what you are supposedly paying for. There is a $3 minimum fee to use their computers. I had my own laptop but wanted to print my boarding pass. This is free at a Marriott Courtyard!!! The gratuity included in food and drink prices is a little questionable as the pool and restaurant wait staff are a little slow and lacks. We had to go find the server to make sure our bill was paid before we left the pool area.

So would I go back again? Yes? Was it beautiful? Yes. Was it "really special?" Not so much.

Reviewed October 18, 2010

First I must say the resort is absolutely beautiful, clean, well-maintained, and absolutely stunning. The food is great at the restaurants. The chocolate creasants are the best for breakfast. My wife and I got married on 10-10-10 and stayed for our honeymoon. However, I called Hawks Cay many times to talked to a woman named Berry because on 4th of July we went there to check it out and she was working there that day told me since we are going to go Hawks Cay for our honeymoon she told me to call her so she can give us a great rate. I called and called and called and called and left 4 different voice mails and she never responded back. So when I called I demanded to speak with a manager, they were all in meetings so I left a message and sure enough no one called me back. The day of the wedding we have no honeymoon, so I called again and demanded talked to a manager, FINALLY I did!!!!!! I got an alright deal...I felt they could of done more, it took me over a month for me to talk to somebody. I would really recommend booking through expedia and NOT Hawks Cay. By the way, Berry finally calls me back but I missed her call, after I have already checked-in and was leaving the next morning. So I called her back sure enough no answer and I left a voicemail and til this day she never called me back.

• Stayed: October 2010
13 mi away
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
BayView Inn Motel and Marina

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!