We spent 4 nights at Hawks Cay and we enjoyed ourselves immensely - (though we have a few quibbles - that did not affect our stay - but worth noting just so you have as information)
The location is very unique and we really enjoyed the layout. It is about 2 1/2 hours from Miami. The resort and villas have their own island. We stayed at the resort and were in a room on the far left side facing the driveway which I did not have a huge issue with because it was very quiet and we still had sun on the balcony. The room was lovely. The bathroom is very spacious and unique and the shower was great. And we had free wireless, My only complaint with the room itself was the softness of the bed. WOW! I believe it was a new bed (a pillow top) but i felt like I was sleeping in a soft hole. It was beyond mushy and my boyfriend and I both struggled with sleeping through a full night. Way too soft. But if you like soft beds, you are in luck! The resort has 3 pools; the main pool can be used by everyone; there is a salt water pool with a small sandy area surrounding it which is where we spent all our days. There is also beverage and food service at your beach chairs. The burgers were great as were the mudslides! And the final pool is an adult only pool which we probably would have used as well - it was very peaceful and pretty separate, We walked by a sunset pool which is a a bit away from the resort (but within walking distance) It looked very nice as well. There is also a dolphin pool which I have mixed feelings about. While it was cute to see the dolphins - the pool area seemed so small to have them entertaining everyone. But the kids around seemed to enjoy it. There is also a firepit on the patio by the main pool. The staff overall was very courteous. There is a 20 a day resort fee which I appreciated being told about before booking online. And in all honesty, included many perks more so than other resorts I stayed at (it included parking, access to the fitness center, towels for the pools, gratuities for all service (except restaurants); transportation to anywhere on the resort island; and maybe one other thing I am missing). The plus for us was the quietness of the hotel. I am sure that in peak season it could get crazy loud and there may be tons of people.
The points below were just some minor complaints - some had nothing to do with the resort itself but if you are planning a trip just felt it was worth noting. And again, none would make me deter anyone from the hotel, it really was lovely and i would return in the future (though probably in the off season like we did)
- no free coffee in the morning (2 for a cup though you do get free refills up until 11 or 12)
- the front staff was a little flat- not friendly and not really forthcoming with info - at least the girl I dealt with though I did have a key issue which she did fix easily. I just mention because I have read how some people get very upset by unfriendly faces - but she did her job and it did not have any affect on our stay and she was in NO way rude.
- 18% gratuities included on all food/ beverage bills - this was not an issue for me as I usually tip more but saw a few people throw a fit over it. I actually appreciated it.
- If you want to eat off the island, good luck. We tried two places and the food was decent but nothing really impressive and no where I would return. The price at all was reasonable but the food was below average in my eyes. We heard butterfly was good but the night we tried to go they had a wedding. We ended up eating 2 nights at Tom's which is on Hawks Cay and the food was good and reasonable and you could see the water from the window . We did not try the main restaurant at the resort though we probably should have tried it - the breakfast did smell delicious.
So again, we loved our stay here. It was peaceful, enjoyable and beautiful. We hope to return one day and I would definitely recommend.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Preferred Hotels, Travelocity, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Hawks Cay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hawks Cay Hotel Duck Key
- Hawks Cay Duck Key
- Duck Key
- Hawk Cay Resort
- Hawks Key
- Hawks Cay Resort Duck Key, Florida