“Beautiful peaceful locale”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Long Island, NY
“Beautiful peaceful locale”
Reviewed June 4, 2009

We spent 4 nights at Hawks Cay and we enjoyed ourselves immensely - (though we have a few quibbles - that did not affect our stay - but worth noting just so you have as information)
The location is very unique and we really enjoyed the layout. It is about 2 1/2 hours from Miami. The resort and villas have their own island. We stayed at the resort and were in a room on the far left side facing the driveway which I did not have a huge issue with because it was very quiet and we still had sun on the balcony. The room was lovely. The bathroom is very spacious and unique and the shower was great. And we had free wireless, My only complaint with the room itself was the softness of the bed. WOW! I believe it was a new bed (a pillow top) but i felt like I was sleeping in a soft hole. It was beyond mushy and my boyfriend and I both struggled with sleeping through a full night. Way too soft. But if you like soft beds, you are in luck! The resort has 3 pools; the main pool can be used by everyone; there is a salt water pool with a small sandy area surrounding it which is where we spent all our days. There is also beverage and food service at your beach chairs. The burgers were great as were the mudslides! And the final pool is an adult only pool which we probably would have used as well - it was very peaceful and pretty separate, We walked by a sunset pool which is a a bit away from the resort (but within walking distance) It looked very nice as well. There is also a dolphin pool which I have mixed feelings about. While it was cute to see the dolphins - the pool area seemed so small to have them entertaining everyone. But the kids around seemed to enjoy it. There is also a firepit on the patio by the main pool. The staff overall was very courteous. There is a 20 a day resort fee which I appreciated being told about before booking online. And in all honesty, included many perks more so than other resorts I stayed at (it included parking, access to the fitness center, towels for the pools, gratuities for all service (except restaurants); transportation to anywhere on the resort island; and maybe one other thing I am missing). The plus for us was the quietness of the hotel. I am sure that in peak season it could get crazy loud and there may be tons of people.
The points below were just some minor complaints - some had nothing to do with the resort itself but if you are planning a trip just felt it was worth noting. And again, none would make me deter anyone from the hotel, it really was lovely and i would return in the future (though probably in the off season like we did)
- no free coffee in the morning (2 for a cup though you do get free refills up until 11 or 12)
- the front staff was a little flat- not friendly and not really forthcoming with info - at least the girl I dealt with though I did have a key issue which she did fix easily. I just mention because I have read how some people get very upset by unfriendly faces - but she did her job and it did not have any affect on our stay and she was in NO way rude.
- 18% gratuities included on all food/ beverage bills - this was not an issue for me as I usually tip more but saw a few people throw a fit over it. I actually appreciated it.
- If you want to eat off the island, good luck. We tried two places and the food was decent but nothing really impressive and no where I would return. The price at all was reasonable but the food was below average in my eyes. We heard butterfly was good but the night we tried to go they had a wedding. We ended up eating 2 nights at Tom's which is on Hawks Cay and the food was good and reasonable and you could see the water from the window . We did not try the main restaurant at the resort though we probably should have tried it - the breakfast did smell delicious.

So again, we loved our stay here. It was peaceful, enjoyable and beautiful. We hope to return one day and I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roxiebay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,156)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 4, 2009

enjoyed our stay, would be nice if a snack bar was located closer to the main pool, rather than in the back by the adult pool. At other resorts my wife would send the kids with room key to get a snack while at the pool and not feel uncomfortable with them trying to order food alongside adult drinkers. They have many exterior doors with no hotel key access, which would be preferred especially from parking lot. We loved the beds, very comfortable and rooms decorated very nice. In-room coffee please, this is standard @ many resorts. (room service- $8.00 for half pot $12.00 for full pot is robbery) The quality of food is excellent, but pricey
(I understand,that's anywhere you go in the keys) They sell packaged ice cream in gift shop, but a ice cream shop with desserts would be a treat, especially after dinner hanging out at the fire pit and pool area. We had a great breakfast at "The stuffed Pig" about a 10 min drive south of resort in Marathon. Also, check out the Turtle Hospital ( 90 min tour) nice folks doing great work for the sea turtles. All in all, I would visit Hawks Cay again, nice resort and friendly staff, just missing a few key things in my mind.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank capt_solo77
Houston, TX
Reviewed June 3, 2009

During our trip to the keys we stayed here, at the Waldorf Casa Marina in Key West, and at a friend's condo. Hawk's Cay set the bar by which we measured other accommodations.

We were immediately at ease when we arrived. The lobby is an open, polynesian style design with lots of dark wood trims, inviting chaise lounge chairs, and it looks out towards the pool. The rooms are very cozy, the bathrooms are large, and they seem to have been updated recently. It's hard to resist taking a nap as soon as you lay down. Our room was the most modestly priced room and an island view, but we were not disappointed. If we were on an unlimited budget or honeymoon, I would recommend one of the rooms that opens up to the pool and includes their own wooden porch and steps down to the pool - they looked ideal.

Like other reviewers have mentioned, the activities and poolside beverages are priced probably as they should be when you are the only game on the key - expensive. I recommend doing what we did, which was stop by a liquor store on the way in to buy a shaker and your tropical drink mix du jour. We kept our setup in a backpack and had all the free margarita refills we could stomach. The one time we didn't do this we got a little shock when the bill came. If you want to enjoy a fair number by the pool and aren't sporting your own setup, bring extra coin.

Duck Key is where we would come to relax and 'stay in'. If we wanted to relax AND have night life and more activity options, we would pick Casa Marina in Key West, where you can take tours, do self-guided walks, sail off the beach in one of their Hobies, swim in the ocean, and have your pick of great restaurants (Louie's Backyard was our favorite).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed June 2, 2009

We rented a two bedroom townhome on the marina and was plenty big for two couples. The resort area was beautiful - no sandy beaches, but the lagoon overlooking the water was peaceful and relaxing. Enjoyed the adult-only pool as well. The breakfast buffet is a must - a little pricey but worth it for at least 1 morning (we had it twice). Restaurants are to be desired - not at all impressed and 18% gratuity is included (so attention to service isn't great). So for eating I would recommend heading into Marathon (15 minute drive) or Key Largo (20 minute drive) - the selection, food and price are much better. Snorkeling trip was nice, but next time we will rent a boat for the day. Spent $450 for 4 hours of Tarpon fishing to come back empty handed (luck of the draw). We look forward to coming back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank YoursShoely
new jersey
Reviewed May 28, 2009

My boyfriend and I intended to use Hawks Cay as a base to explore snorkeling in the area. However, after arriving we realized that it is actually quite a drive to reach anything else. So, we attempted to look into their activitiesbut quickly found that they were extremely overpriced...Snorkeling = $60, Meet the Dolphins = $60pp, Breakfast buffet for two w/ tip = $60. I guess if you have a lot of $ to spend then this is the place for you.
As for the resort itself, it is a nice place but it wasnt as clean as i prefer. There was mildew in our shower and on the shower curtain.
We were never given a resort map or any real info so a lot of the resort was left unknown to us. It seemed that the families with kids were having a good time, but again, be sure to have a chunk of $ to spend if you want to really enjoy yourself.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank melissamccrink
Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2009

We stayed at a Villa at the Hawks Cay and I can't tell you how beautiful it was. We have two small children so finding a resort that can accommodate both parents and kids is not always easy.

This resort is located about an hour and a half south of Miami (if memory serves me correctly) which means it is south south south. That is about the only draw-back. It is also about an hour away from Key West if you chose to take a day trip.

We had a two bedroom villa which backed onto a boardwalk with docking facilities. Check-in was a breeze. The hotel lobby and facilities are beautiful. The staff are helpful. I felt like i got what i paid for which is more than i can say for the following week at Disney's Beach club resort!!! (see review there)

There is an adults only pool, a large hotel pool, a lagoon like swimming area, a family pool in the children's area and a splash pad designed around a pirates ship. We went to the children's facilities everyday as our girls loved the splash area. There was a little snack restaurant which was very good and served steamed veggies as a dish for little one. (moms..isn't this good?) The family pool in the children's area has plenty of chairs as well. Our girls got a few braids which was convenient for keeping their hair out of their eyes. The children's club also has a day camp program to keep the little ones occupied while mom and dad enjoy some private time. There are so many activities for children its too much for me to write about. They also have bikes for rent if you want to bike around the key. Since this is on its own little key it felt very enclosed and safe for walking/biking.

The hotel was beautiful and it looked like it had some very nice restaurants for adults. I believe this resort really accommodates adults too.

There is a dolphin learning center which you can take part in for a fee. I think older children would love this. We sat by the edge and watched the dolphins swim. There are also nightly sunset cruises and fishing excursions you can sign up for. We went to the marina when they were bringing in their catches and our girls loved seeing the fish.

There is a golf cart that will pick you up anywhere on the resort and bring you to any spot on the resort. Very convenient and you don't have to wait long.

Lots of families and couples were at this resort. This scores high on my scale of family places to stay and I will , without a doubt return.

cons; there is no internet access from villas (but if you are a techie you can figure this one out); a little bit of a drive to go to off-resort eating places - hint, pizza hut will deliver! There is no beach per se. Although they made it look like a beach it really isn't one. But, who cares, the resort is awesome.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed May 26, 2009

You'd better realize up front that these villas are mostly all individually owned, and the resort is NOT responsible for obnoxious drunken louts that might be renting next door to you. This was our experience. Round the clock disturbance with no accountability whatsoever. We called security and the police, but no one really seemed to have the authority to do anything about it. And because people from our party were seen talking to the police outside, we were harassed by the perpetrators till the morning we left. My friend was walking from our villa to the main resort, and got run off the road by one of our neighbor's SUVs! She made it back to the villa limping and bleeding all over the road. We pleaded with Hawk's Cay to find us another accommodation for the night, but they said that there was NO GENERAL MANAGER ON DUTY! And the buck got passed along from there. At 1am, we locked ourselves into the villa—concerned for ourselves but especially worried about the children in our party. What a nightmare. My elderly parents stayed at the main hotel on the property (thank goodness!) but they said that a dog in the room next to theirs barked half the night. Hotel staff admitted that there were numerous complaints, and that this sort of thing happened all the time, but there wasn't much that they could do. Basically, "get 'em in, get 'em out." No need to foster repeat business. THINK AGAIN before booking here!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!