WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Wellington, Florida
“Ok and expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

Our room was beautiful, clean and well attended daily. We chose to use the Tranquility Pool reserved for those 21 yrs and older. Unfortunately, it was in need of cleaning (tiles quite dirty). Some guests used this area for smoking, though it was not a designated smoking area...tough when you are allergic to smoke. Most amenities for eating at the resort were quite pricey. Driving to Marathon Key for restaurant alternatives was a 25+ minute drive. The buffet breakfast was reasonably priced at $20 per person and the food excellent, including an omelette chef. Seems to be a wonderful stay if you have children and money. LOTS of kids, smokers, and mosquitoes.

3 Thank jlsdavis
Hawks_Cay-FL, General Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time with us and we greatly value your perspective. It is great to hear that you appreciated the beauty and comfort of our resort. Our resort offers guests the chance to try a variety of food options and we are delighted that you were able to enjoy our breakfast buffet. Your comments about the smoking areas at the resort have been forwarded to our management team so that they may be addressed. Thank you for your review and we look forward to having you here again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,063)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Northwest Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

We just returned from our trip. We rented a villa from Saturday-Friday. Let's begin with the good:
-The resort- This place is large with lots of dining options. Poolside or lagoon side service so you can hang by the water or watch boats go by and still get food or beverage. The dolphins were neat to see (did not pay to interact but the guest that did seemed to enjoy it). There is a fire pit with live music on some evenings. There is a fitness facility and lots to do! Overall: very pretty, spacious and full of options- which we like in a resort.
-The activities- The water sport company was convenient and fairly priced. They had many activities you could pick up right at the resort. We found this to be very useful and did a sunset cruise, kayak rental, paddle board rental and snorkeling trip through them. All of those we enjoyed and found the staff very accommodating, helpful and friendly.
-The staff- We did not meet one single unpleasant person on staff while we were there. From the towel people, to the bartenders, to front desk, waiters and management. Everyone seemed very happy we were there and I felt very welcome at Hawks Cay.
-The Villa (see below for more on it)- I loved the patio- both upstairs and downstairs. I also liked the full kitchen, washer and dryer. It was a pleasure to go home with clean clothes. It was a tremendous money saver to eat breakfast and lunch in the villa.

So what was the bad? Some aspects of the villa.
-The Villa- we had reserved a Sunset Villa but were provided an upgrade to a Marina Villa (2005). We arrived very late at night Saturday but could tell things were not as we had hoped.
1- The upstairs is VERY tiny. There is very little room to get around the bed, the only space for a suitcase is in a small unlit closet (the width of which is about the size of a suitcase). This is not a huge issue for us as we don't take up a lot of room but I did stub my toe on the bed frame more than once. The bathrooms were also tiny- one tub next to one toilet next to one sink in a tiny room. I did appreciate the size of the patio and the downstairs, for me, was fine as far as size is concerned.
2- The cleanliness- This particular villa has not really been cleaned properly in quite some time. As we decided to stay put and not seek other accommodations we spent about 45 minutes on Sunday cleaning the villa (door knobs, bannisters, light switches, etc.). The floors are so dirty that you can shower and go walk around the villa and your feet will be black in under an hour. The carpets are stained, the walls need to be cleaned, the tile is really dirty and trust me- I did not really look around at anything to see what else was going on.
3. "Housekeeping"- I say this with quotes because they weren't really housekeepers. There is no Do Not Disturb sign for you to put on your doors. The housekeeping staff came in and would: always make our beds upstairs (they didn't change the sheets based on the black mark on our sheets was always there and in the same location); sometimes they would empty all or some of the garbage in the villa; sometimes they would change the towels. Personally I would have rather not had them in my bedroom to make my bed if that was all they planned to do (I found that fairly odd).

Since we had made the choice to remain at Hawks Cay we took the good with the bad. We really enjoyed our time there and traveled outside the resort for some activities and meals while we stayed on property for others. We did speak with the manager before checking out to relay our issues. He was quite friendly and understanding and gave us a small discount off the bill and offered to personally walk us through a villa for our next visit.

I would definitely try Hawks Cay again knowing the following: 1. I would do a complete villa walkthrough upon checking in (no late check in). 2. I would have a back-up plan of Tranquility Bay Resort if Hawks Cay could not meet my standards. However, I must stress that I really enjoyed my visit there and the resort is almost a perfect paradise!

1 Thank TravelHappyFam
Thank you for sharing your experiences and photos with us. We are delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy many of our amenities including our Sunset Cruise and on-site restaurants. Your comments about our housekeeping will allow us to identify areas where we can make improvements and we offer our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that may have impacted your stay. It was great to have you stay at the Hawks Cay Resort and we hope that you have the opportunity to visit with us again so that we can go above and beyond your expectations.
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

when cruising the florida keys a good anchorage is duck key and the resort is hawks cay marina price is on par with all the other marinas but you get full use of the resort pools restaurants a welcome relief when its 95* out on the water

Room Tip: call ahead to ensure a marina berth
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your review of your stay at the Hawks Cay Resort Marina. Our goal is to provide a great experience for all of our guests and we are delighted that our resort made such a great impression. It was wonderful to have you here and we look forward to welcoming you back again on your next voyage to the Florida Keys.
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

Recent visit to hawks cay resort, we went without our child thinking it was more of an adult resort. Turns out we were wrong the place is packed with loud children.
Upon check in we were delayed in getting our room, then after getting into the room the ceiling fan was about to fall off the ceiling and made terrible noises. We were placed in another room, and told our luggage would be brought up. We went out and enjoyed the pool for 2 hours, when we returned to the new room there was no luggage. I went back to the first room and brought it up myself. After waiting 20 minutes for a manager he gave us a credit, to be used in the resort.
Overall good facilities, beds are old and sheets very rough. I would not go back again,

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
It is extremely disheartening to read that your stay with us was not as expected as this is not the experience we strive to deliver to our guests. We will share your comments with our team as we are always looking for ways to improve our future guests stay. We hope that you’ll allow us another opportunity to welcome you back again.
Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

We recently rented a 3 bedroom Harbor View villa. My husband and I visited along with our 3 kids and my mother in law. The villa was beautiful and suited our needs very well. It had a full kitchen, washer/dryer, 3 bedrooms and 3 full bathrooms. It was very spacious, had a wrap around porch, and a beautiful water view. I got a little nervous when reading some of the reviews but I called and was told all of the luxury villas have been remodeled. Ours was and it was great!

The amenities at this property are wonderful for the kids. Our children (ages 10, 8 and 4) loved the kids club area with sports facilities (soccer field, basketball court, mini golf), playground, and pool. The pool at the kids club was great because it was a lot less crowded than the main pool at the resort. The pirate ship play area was closed for renovation but the resort set up 2 inflatable water slides which were actually better for our older ones anyway. The beach/lagoon is smaller than it appears in the photos. We spent a little time here but you do have to pay extra for the kayaks and paddle boards (which I think should be included in the resort fees).

The service was good for the most part. We ate at the buffet for breakfast and we had a few issues there (didn't get drinks for a long time and asked for salsa which was never brought) but otherwise the staff on property was very accommodating. Our stay apparently came with bike rentals and I was given a certificate upon check in. I don't know if it was my error but I thought it was for 1 hour-long rental. We went to use it the day before we checked out and was told we could have had the bikes our entire stay. Again, maybe they didn't explain it clearly or maybe I should have asked. Either way, we enjoyed riding the bikes around Duck Key at the end of our stay.

I really only marked this resort down a star because the food was pretty bad. We had lunch and dinner our first day and then decided it was overpriced and poor quality so we would use our kitchen or go off property. The buffet breakfast was fine and because the kids were at a reduced rate (they love having big breakfasts on vacation) we decided to do that each day. At lunch the first day I had fish tacos that were awful. That night at dinner we ordered a pizza that was honestly one of the worst I have ever had. These 2 meals were very pricey so my advice is get a kitchen and use it. We went to a market in Marathon and got lots of great stuff. We also ate at Butterfly Café in Marathon and it was amazing!

As far as location, I think this is great for the Keys. It is about halfway down. Marathon is close and has lots of amenities. We did the Dolphin Research Center in Marathon (highlight of the trip) instead of the Dolphin experience at the hotel because it is a 501c3 non-profit. I highly recommend the DRC. We also made the drive to Key West one afternoon and it was a lot of fun to spend the sunset there. Overall this was a great trip and I recommend the resort (just be prepared for the food situation).

1 Thank lenals
Hawks_Cay-FL, General Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
We couldn't be more pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay here at the Hawks Cay Resort. We are delighted you and your family had the chance to enjoy some of our spectacular amenities during your visit including our Indies Club and refreshing pools. Your feedback regarding our on-site restaurants have been forwarded to our management team as we are always looking for suggestions on how we can make our future guests experience more enjoyable. We thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Leesburg, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

Our room was not ready upon our arrival and we were told we would have a ground floor room, which we did not receive. Upon telling them what I had been promised about my room location the front desk associate only shrugged her shoulders and said "I didn't take your reservation." During our stay the staff at the pool and marina areas were very unaccommodating. They did not seem very concerned about the comfort or needs of the guest.

We brought our own kayaks and attempted to unload them at the marina. We originally unloaded them in an area to the side of the marina at an old boat ramp so as not to disturb other marina activities. An employee saw us and told us we could use the floating dock for more convenience (which was very thoughtful). The following day we went to use the floating dock, which no other guest were using, and an employee told us it wasn't a public dock. I did not know guest are just the "public". She did not bother to ask if we were guest or offer another option for which to launch our kayaks. I took note as to whether we were in the way of some other guest at the dock and no one ever came to use it. If in fact they did need us to expedite our departure she could have offered a helping hand instead of being critical. Not many of the employees were friendly or welcoming nor did they display a very welcoming demeanor.

If you plan on bringing your own "toys" be prepared to be hassled when you use them. They have lots of rules here. The resort will not allow you to fish anywhere, you cannot enter or depart there beaches in your kayaks, no coolers, no outside food or drinks, etc. I'm sure if you go and rent their "toys", order nothing but their food and drinks and tip everyone that walks by, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

2 Thank Michael H
At our resort, we believe that customer service comes first and we regret that certain interactions you had with our staff were not exemplary. We will address your comments with our management team so that we may continue to make improvements and create a better experience for our future guests. Thank you for sharing your review. We hope that one day you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back for a stay that exceeds your expectations.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

We just got back from Hawks Cay Resort and we has a blast! I took my two teenage children and my daughter's friend and we loved it! We stayed in a two bedroom townhouse which had all of the amenities- beautiful kitchen, living room, and out on our private deck, our own private pool! Upstairs two bedrooms and two full baths and a half a bath on the first floor. The pools and the lagoon were great and the kids swam with the dolphins which was very expensive but worth it. We also went on a snorkeling trip and the underwater life that we saw was incredible- sea turtles, sharks, and thousands of beautiful fish. My only complain was the day we were leaving, there was a huge roach in my daughter's bed, which I reported at check out and the desk person totally ignored me. I told him again and he did not reply so I asked him if he heard me and he said yes but kept on the computer and never looked up- I was very upset. The other complaint is that we checked out and was told by the staff that we could stay for the day and take showers at the marina and that towels were provided. There was one bathroom with a shower and women were lined up- there were no towels provided but we could buy one for 35.00 so we dried ourselves off with paper towels!!

Room Tip: Stay in the townhouses and spend the extra money- you save on food expenses and have more space and...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent trip to the Florida Keys. Although we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful location and our on-site amenities like our Dolphin Connection, we do regret to learn of your interaction with some of our staff members. We are committed to providing our guests with superior service to ensure that their visit is the best it can be and we truly apologize for any inconveniences. At our resort we have very stringent inspection guidelines in place to ensure that all of our guest rooms are kept at their best. Any claims about insects we take very seriously and we continually work to control insects in and around our resort. We apologize that you encountered some of our Florida Key native insects and we hope that you’ll allow us another opportunity to welcome you back again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duck Key
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Village at Hawks Cay Villas by Keys Caribbean
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!