Stayed June 19 - 22. Was a mix of business and pleasure for my wife and I tagged along for the pleasure part.
Located on Duck Key, the property is attached to a fairly exclusive residential community on the island. Marathon key is a few minutes to the south and it appears to attract as a quick getaway for residents in the Miami area as well as small conferences. The hotel has a nice layout that includes an enclosed “lagoon” swimming area in addition to a main and adult pools. Two main restaurants are on property. There are two outside bars and a main bar just off the lobby area. A good portion of the resort is dedicated to fishing/boating guests with docking facilities available. Weddings appear to be frequently booked so expect some areas to be reserved accordingly. A unique feature is the dolphin pool that hosts 4 dolphins available for guest interaction programs. Boat/fishing trips, diving, para-sailing, etc. can be arranged through at the main lobby or through the main desk.
We spent 3 nights in one of the main building rooms - a king bed overlooking the adult pool. The balcony view was wonderful as we could enjoy coffee with a view of the ocean through the trees. The room was very clean with an over sized bathroom and large walk-in shower. A k-cup coffee maker, fridge and safe were in the room. The TV reception was not that great with a poor picture on most channels. The $29 resort fee includes wi-fi and the internet connection we experienced was OK.
Valet parking is included as part of the resort fee. There are additional areas for those with boat trailers. We found the valet staff to be very attentive and professional.
As mentioned, there are two main dining locations – one that features a buffet area and the other with traditional seating. There is a grill type service that handles bar food around the pool area. Drinks and food can be ordered poolside. There is a small Starbucks operating out of the lobby gift shop. If staying for more than a few days, the limited dining options may get old. Food was very good and we ate from the bar menu and enjoyed the breakfast buffet
- We booked a sunset boat cruise that had to be cancelled due to weather. We were told our reservation would be moved to the next evening. The next day we happened to stop by the main lobby desk to confirm and was told that our reservation had been cancelled because of a group booking for the boat. When asked when they were planning to inform us of the cancellation the "reply" was pretty much just a blank stare. Bottom line was that if we hadn't stopped by the desk to check, we would not have known of the cancellation until we showed up at the dock.
- For a resort, the beer selection was pretty limited. The bar staff did not appear to know the difference between an ale or a lager. A bit disappointing considering the clientele this resort is attempting to target. I admit to being a "beer snob" but do think bartenders should at least know the basics of what they are serving.
- We observed a family with a toddler in the adult pool. The area is clearly marked that only guests over 21 are permitted in the area. Several hotel staff simply walked right by, taking no action.
- While we sat on our balcony for early morning coffee we watched other guests placing towels on chairs around the pool early in the morning to reserve them and simply walking away to return later in the day - similar to the chair hogs found on cruise ships. One couple did this to a group of 7 chairs.
- Trash was visible under bushes around the lagoon area. Looks like it had been there for a few days.
- On checkout, front desk staff did not ask how our stay was – simply if there were any problems with the bill. Can only assume management is not interested in any guest feedback.
Summary: Rooms are nice and property is maintained. Interesting features such as a lagoon pool and dolphin pool. Service tended to be a bit lacking at times. With an off-season rate in the mid $200 along with a $29 “resort fee” there are better values. We would probably stay again for a few days but any longer period we would want something closer to Key Largo or Key West with more nightlife and dining options.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Preferred Hotels, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Hawks Cay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hawks Cay Hotel Duck Key
- Hawks Cay Duck Key
- Duck Key
- Hawk Cay Resort
- Hawks Key
- Hawks Cay Resort Duck Key, Florida