“Conference in the Keys”
Review of Hawks Cay Resort

Hawks Cay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

Resort was lovely, I was impressed with the attention to us as attendees. I did not appreciate the $2000 hold they wanted to put on my credit card for extras that we may decide to charge to the room during our stay.

Absolutely no qualms with service. Overall a very lovely time.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Hawks_Cay-FL, General Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

While we do regret any inconveniences, it makes us happy to know that you enjoyed your conference with us at Hawks Cay Resort. Thank you for your kind recognition of our attentive staff members. Whether visiting for business or leisure, we hope you will allow us the pleasure to welcome you back again.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed here for one night after visiting Key West. Very nice lobby and pool area with a great looking lagoon that had its own beach. The property is beautiful. The room was large and in excellent condition. We stayed in the main building. The resort is spread out with numerous villas/buildings. We didn't use any of the amenities as we were there only for one afternoon and night. This would be a great place to spend a few days on R&R rather than just one night. The breakfast was good but expensive. I would highly recommend this resort for someone or a family getting away for some R&R. It would also be good for multi day business meetings or conferences. Location is good, about 60 miles from Key West.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank azcruiser2011

Thank you for sharing your impressions of our Hawks Cay Resort! It is certainly wonderful to read your warm remarks regarding our accommodations and location. We offer many great activities and programs for any age. We hope you’ll someday have the opportunity to book an extended stay with us and enjoy everything our resort has to offer!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

First came to this hotel 25 years ago. The place has changed quite a bit over the years. It was always a family type resort and it has not changed in that respect. The prices are much higher and the resort fee seems to be a little excessive but what prices have not gone up. Over all the service was top notch, the rooms were great and me and my wife had a good time. I f it had a beach instead of a lagoon, you would think you were in the Caribbean. One suggestion I would have is to have some sand brought in around the lagoon to make things more comfortable.

3  Thank jakemy

Thank you for your suggestions and great feedback regarding your recent trip with us at Hawks Cay Resort. It is a pleasure to learn that you and your wife enjoyed your experience and received the exceptional service we aim to provide. Please keep in mind that we do offer a variety of incredible hotel deals and packages on our website. We hope you’ll allow us the opportunity to welcome you again!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

This is a nice, expensive resort. However, it could have been anywhere. When there, I felt trapped, wanting to get out and see the real Florida Keys, which is what we did. The high priced room and resort fee were a waste for us.

The ocean lagoon is not as large or blue as the resort photos depict. Although the pool was over-full (about 45 kids!), no one was using the lagoon. Its murky waters were just not welcoming or even pretty to look at. The pool was too small for the large number of guests this resort accommodates. The music being played was too loud and a little too hard. The only place to relax here is at the adults only pool, but is not possible for families wanting to vacation together. There is a kids' program if your family likes to do that sort of thing. They should probably build another pool close to the main hotel so relieve some of the congestion.

Our room was fine, but it is definitely showing some age with older bathroom fixtures. There was also mildew around the 1990s style square white tiles, and hairs had been left on the towel bar in the shower.

Having come from a boutique style (though slightly less expensive) hotel in Key West, we were disappointed in the impersonal "service." You are given cards to keep track of your pool towels, for which you must account or be charged $25 per towel not accounted for. These are $2, thin, dingy pool towels. Parents everywhere were yelling for their kids to get their towels, gathering them up when their children left them on chairs to go to the pool, and fretting when one came missing. This is not a luxury feel at all.

I gave this place an average score, but if you take into account the price, it would really deserve a poor score.

1  Thank Suwaneefamilyof4

We work hard to ensure that our services are superior and your candid feedback lets us know where we need to make improvements. While we do hope that our numerous resort pools, along with our saltwater Lagoon and beach, offer enough space for all of our guests we understand that certain outlets gets more crowded than others. We will be elevating the level of service for our pool guests and updating our adults-only Tranquility Pool. We hope you’ll have the chance to visit us again.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

It took me almost 2 years to write this review because I was so conflicted. My sister and I stayed here for 2 nights. We arrived around 5:30 and the reception desk was busy, which would be expected at that time. I checked in around 6:00 and was given directions to our room. When we first entered the room smelled musty. I attributed it to perhaps being closed off and the air not running. I sat at the egde of the bed and noticed a large stain on the rug which ran up the wall. It looked like a coke can had exploded there. Not a good impression. Then I went to use the bathroom and as I looked up I saw the top part of the wall with severe water damage, complete with bubbled sheetrock and mold. The room must not have been used recently as there were missing toiletries as well. We grabbed our luggage and went back to the front desk. The front desk clerk said she wasn't sure if she could move us because there may not be another room in same price range. She did manage to find a room in another tower. However, when we went to the room the entry foyer was flooded! So we went back down to the front desk again our luggage still in tow. Now we're told they did not have another room to make a lateral move. Seriously? It is now almost 8:30, we've have dragged our luggage up and down and up and down, waited our turn at the front desk again, we've missed dinner, and we still do not have a room. I asked about moving us to the next best available but she said she couldn't make that decision. The I asked to speak with the manager but a young man, (Nathan, I believe) stepped in and did move us to a room by the adult pool. By that time we were tired and aggravated. I was very dissappointed on how this was handled. The hotel was not full at all. There should not have been such a problem finding us another room. That being said, our third room was very nice and what we had first expected.

Part two: I'd like to say the grounds are beautiful! The swimming pools are large and inviting. The adult pool at the main building was a nice spot for a quiet swim in the evening because we were the only ones there. We also thoroughly enjoyed sitting around the fire pit relaxing with a glass of wine. There is a small pool bar open in the afternoon which is a great spot to take a break and enjoy a cool beverage and a snack. Although we did not use the lagoon area it is a great spot for kids to enjoy the ocean without the danger. If they would give as much attention to the guest as they do to the grounds, the place would be perfect.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TampaTropicals

We regret that it has been so long since your last visit. While we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced, we are happy to mention that we have made several improvements to our property since your last stay. We hope you will have the opportunity to visit sometime in the near future so we are able to restore your confidence in our services.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

This is our 2nd stay at Hawks Cay. Stayed here 7 years ago. Location is nice because it is 1/2 way between Key West and Miami.

We headed straight for the Lagoon on our first day and my daughter and I both got what appears to be a parasite rash from it. I had read this in another review, but assumed it had been resolved. I would not allow anyone in my family to back in the Lagoon. For an ocean swim, we spent the day at Bahia Honda State Park. There are other swimming beaches closer. Outside of this issue, we do love Hawks Cay. so if you get nothing else from this review, I would recommend you stay out of the lagoon or take precautionary actions if you go in.

Our room is a one story marina villa and absolutely perfect for our family of 5. I love this resort because it is well kept, clean, great service and with so many pools you dont have to fight to get a lounge chair.

The staff here is outstanding and Derek at the Starbucks stand in Island Time is the best ....he even remembers your name and what you ordered!

The downside is that there isnt much activity going on and nothing really happening at night. No organized pool games and the area where the teenagers could actually do some stuff at night is closed at 6pm for kids club (a paying program with age groups of 5-12 and 13-17). Too big of an age gap for my kids.

It is a great place for R&R and to see the keys. One place we went to and loved was Sunset Raw Bar & Grille. It sits on the ocean with a pool and entertainment. Great food and fun!

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank PShall
Hawks_Cay-FL, General Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback and guest perspective. We deeply regret to learn about your experience in our lagoon and appreciate that you've made us aware of this concern. We are always looking for new ways to improve and are excited to mention that we will be adding new activities and programs to our resort to ensure each and every one of our guests enjoy a memorable stay. We hope you'll have the opportunity to visit Hawks Cay again and experience the exciting changes.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

This is my forth year staying here with my family. We rent a villa every April for the weekend of the 7 mile bridge race in marathon. It gets better every year. Can't say enough good things about this resort. Well worth the money.

Room Tip: The villas are amazing.