“Absolutely Gorgeous, But VERY VERY Expensive” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hawks Cay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Romulus, New York
“Absolutely Gorgeous, But VERY VERY Expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

The resort is beautiful. One of the prettiest places that we saw in the keys. With multiple pools and an adults only area, there's something for everybody. The atmosphere is laid back and family friendly. They have four resident dolphins in a natural enclosure that you can watch anytime, and swim with for a fee. They offer a sunset cruise in the evenings, and a snorkeling trip out to the reef on the same boat during the day.
You can buy almost anything using your room card which is nice. However, everything at the resort is extremely expensive to the point of over-priced. The dolphin experience was great, but it cost my wife and I $350 for 45 minutes, and then another $100 for pictures. And that's pretty much how the whole resort is.
The food is great, but a meal for two will cost you in the neighborhood of $75. The buffet at Oceans is your best bet if you're eating at the resort. Otherwise, take a drive to Marathon Key and find a nice restaurant. You'll love the drive and save some money.
We stayed in the hotel part of the resort. The room was pretty nice, but not what I expected for the price. It was clean and well maintained, but the beds were hard, the in room fridge was broken, and the 1970s air conditioner sounded like a jet engine. The walls were so thin that we could hear our neighbors talking as if we were in the same room. But, we didn't go there to hang out in the room, so it was no big deal.
All things considered, we had an awesome time. I would recommend Hawks Cay Resort to anyone planning a relaxing trip to the keys. If they would adjust the cost of food and activities down to a reasonable level, or better yet, convert to a Sandle's style all inclusive resort, this place would be an unbeatable vacation spot.

Room Tip: If you're into privacy, I would recommend one of the villas. The Sunset villas seemed like the n...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rick S
Hawks_Cay-FL, General Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you for your beautiful description of our resort. We are happy to know that you enjoyed so much during your vacation with us though we regret that you encountered inconveniences during your visit. We are excited to share that we will be updating our adults-only, Tranquility Pool, along with adding an elevated level of service for our pool guests. We do offer ever changing hotel promotions and packages online and hope that one might interest you in visiting us again at Hawks Cay Resort!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,102)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

One word describes this resort.....overrated. People are nice. Room is very nice. Food is expensive and nothing to really look forward to. Pool is small for the number of guests. No beach to speak of. The internet seems to be dial-up from the 1990s. Will I return? Not a chance. Spend a little more and go to Turks and Caicos or something like that.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank pcotten06
We regret that we were unable to meet your expectations. We do hope that our numerous resort pools, along with our saltwater Lagoon and beach, offer enough space for all of our guests, but recognize that sometimes one outlet gets more crowded than others. We sincerely apologize for our slow Internet, as we have recently done a complete overhaul and look forward to being able to offer you high-speed Internet in the future. Thank you for taking time to mention our resort staff, as we know they are the ones that have the ability to make your vacation truly memorable. We do hope you'll re-consider returning and someday allow us the opportunity to welcome you again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Let me just start by saying that I am a 14 year old and actually had tears running down my face when we left. Coming from a teenagers point of view, I couldn't have asked for anything more (except a little price reduction on somethings, but hey you have to get your money some how). My mom, my sister, and I stayed in a 1 bedroom room which is in the main hotel building and it was perfect! The bathroom was probably bigger than my room back at home! My mom and I ran throughout the other islands and we also used the fitness club a lot. I definitely recommend coming here for your next vacation. The only problem my family had was that there were a lot of families with young kids (who tend to make a lot of noise), but that's uncontrollable so we had to deal with it. If you do bring young kids or teenagers, they have the Indies Club where they can play games, and hang out. I had the time of my life here and I am begging my mom to take us back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank mylifeasariel
Hawks_Cay-FL, General Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
What a great review! It is truly wonderful to know that you enjoyed your stay at our Hawks Cay Resort and we appreciate that you've shared your perspective. We look forward to sharing your review with our staff, as your comments will bring a smile to their faces when they learn how much you enjoyed your visit. We hope you'll have the chance to visit with us again soon, as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the Hawks Cay Resort. Thank you for sharing your review with us!
kalamazoo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

We had a lovely room, well-appointed and comfortable. Plenty large for my husband and I, and our 8 year old daughter.
Our daughter was thrilled with the swimming options (saltwater lagoon, and large pool near our room), and I was pleased with the warm temp of the pool.
We had a very good snorkeling trip, booked through the hotel.
Our whole family immensely enjoyed the fire pit in the evening. What a pleasure to relax around an outdoor fire after dinner, especially without the company of mosquitoes!

The service was just okay. This is disappointing considering it is a pricey resort. We came to Hawks Cay immediately following a Disney Cruise, and the difference in service was noticeable.
The morning of departure, we had a plane to catch. My husband inquired the evening before if there would be someone to retrieve our car at 6 a.m., and he was reassured that it would be no problem. We ended up waiting 20 minutes while a security guard ran as he tried to accommodate the people waiting on the porch as quickly as he could.
Just prior to requesting our car, I asked at the checkout desk for change so that we could tip the staff. Another security guard, staffing the desk, told me "I can't make change". When I asked where on the grounds I could get change, he told me "there's no one here to do that until the coffee shop opens at 7". 6:20 a.m. is not that early for a resort located 2 hours from the nearest major airport.
The evening before, we ate at a restaurant on-site. My daughter ordered shrimp, and the waiter repeated "scallops"? We adamantly corrected him. About 20 minutes later, someone different brought her a dish of scallops. We requested the shrimp as ordered. The waiter came to the table and said it was his mistake, but "that's why I always repeat the order back to the customer". That statement surely threw the responsibility back at us!
When the shrimp finally arrived, my daughter was burned on a very-hot-from-the-oven dish. While we certainly should have checked this for her, I expect wait staff to bring this to our attention, as well. I mentioned it to the waiter, and he responded to her "don't worry honey, that will heal up quickly!" *Sigh* He returned to the table later, and stated he had decided to "buy her a piece of Key Lime pie--on me". The missing link here is exquisitely trained staff--all staff.

I should mention the man who attended the towel desk at the pool: Danny, from Sandusky, OH. He was always kind, cheerful, and attentive--an asset to Hawks Cay. Jason and Sam were our snorkel attendants, and worked hard to keep everyone safe, and make sure we had fun. Ava came to clean our room while we were out, and we returned while she was finishing. She was lovely; and made an effort to converse with us and ask about our stay. The room and bathroom were very clean.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank layner
It is truly wonderful to learn that you and your family enjoyed your vacation at our Hawks Cay Resort though we deeply regret to learn of your dining experience with us. On behalf of our restaurant staff, I hope you'll accept my heartfelt apologies for the inconveniences that you encountered. This does not reflect our usual high standards and I assure you that we will be using your remarks as a training opportunity. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention and giving us this opportunity to improve. We are very grateful for reviews such as yours, as they direct us to areas that require our immediate attention. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you and your family with the five-star stay you all deserve. Thank you.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Hawks Cay is a large resort with villas and hotel complex, we stopped here for one night on a road trip and was impressed by the lovely room, facilities and pool areas. Dining options were limited and seemed quite pricey but we enjoyed this resort and would like to come back to explore the complex further - only staying one night gave us a very small snap shot of the hotel and what impressed was the service with the valet parking. We thought the room was quite expensive it worked out to approx $500 per night -

Room Tip: We stayed in the King Size Deluxe with Pool view and was up on the third floor. It was quite a chore...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
It was our pleasure to accommodate you during your road trip and we are thrilled to learn that we were able to impress you with our accommodations, facilities and amenities. We would like the chance to welcome you back for a more extended visit and we hope you'll choose to visit us again soon at the Hawks Cay Resort.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Pros- amazing place for small kids. Very safe/secure playground and pool area with lots of activities.

The beach/pool area was very well kept. The resort itself was beautiful. The staff was very friendly. Free valet parking and a shuttle service was nice with a 2 year old.

You can charge everything to your room, use your hotel key as a credit card basically. Really nice to not need money.

Location was great!

Cons- The room was $350/night and I was shocked by how horrible it was. It smelled musty, the carpet was coming up and was wrinkled in several places and looked like it was about 30 years old. Rust in the tub. Rock hard bed with very crinkly blankets. Our "island view" room was a joke. It was brush-covered and literally no view at all. The air conditioner was also circa 1980 and sounded like it was going to explode. After seeing the resort itself I couldn't believe this was the same place. It was like we walked out of a 5 star into the room of a budget hotel. Weird.

The dining options. If you want people to stay on the resort, offer a variety as well as kid friendly options. We went to Marathon for most meals. Also, $6 bud light was hard to swallow. We normally do all inclusive resorts, so maybe we are a little spoiled.

Stayed March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your thorough review of our property. We would like to take this time to apologize if our accommodations did not meet your expectations. It is disappointing to learn of the inconveniences that you encountered in your room and we regret that we were unable to impress you with our Island View accommodations. We wish we could have addressed these concerns with you at the time of your stay, as our staff is always happy to relocate our guests, whenever possible. We greatly appreciate your feedback and we hope you will consider giving us another opportunity to impress you.
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

Our recent vacation at Hawk's Cay Resort was one our our best ever. We wanted a quiet, relaxing vacation so we stayed in the Sunset Villas, which are a few minute walk (or tram ride) from the main area of the resort. Sunset Villas has its own pool which overlooks Tom's Harbor and I now know why they call it Sunset Villas; the sunsets are magnificent from these villas. Our villa (5113) was beautifully decorated, great kitchen, very clean, and best of all, we had our own private pool! It was just off the living room past our private walled veranda. There was nothing more enjoyable than being able to sit in our pool, drinks in hand and watch the sunset. One great tip that we got from a full time Duck Key resident was to skip the hotel restaurants and go into Marathon, which is 5-10 minutes away. We found some great places to dine (Frank's Grill)

Room Tip: Sunset Villas 5113 was fantastic. 2br, 2.5 baths with its own gated veranda and private pool. Away...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank LovetheKeys1020
It is wonderful to learn that you spent one of your best vacations at our Hawks Cay Resort. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and positive feedback regarding our Sunset Villas. It seems like you truly enjoyed a relaxing and memorable experience by our pool! We are so glad that you enjoyed your vacation with us and we hope you'll have the opportunity to visit us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duck Key
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Village at Hawks Cay Villas by Keys Caribbean
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!