Hawks Cay Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$149
Travelocity
$169
$164
$140
HIExpress.com
$285
$227
Skipjack Resort Suites & Marina(Marathon)(Great Value!)
$179
Travelocity
No availability for your dates from our partners
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
4,861 results
All reviewsdolphin experiencemain poolbeach grillsunset villagepirate shiptranquility poolocean restaurantkids clubsalt water lagoonfire pitlagoon areaadult poolswimming with the dolphinsthe main hotelbedroom villakey westfamily pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed at Hawks Cay first week of November; I had a conference there.
Mostly we were very pleased with our stay; the resort is very well maintained, there is a lot of things to do, the location is very convenient for exploring the Keys, and the staff is very helpful.
First of all, we stayed in the main hotel, building 4, and had the corner room (#14), which has a benefit of really large balcony, more than we could possibly use. But it was nice. The room was spacious; the bed was really comfortable, with a very soft mattress, and since the building is away from main festivities - pool, restaurant and the like, - we enjoyed really quiet, restful sleep. There is a mini-fridge in the room, a Keurig coffee-maker, large TV and iron; and we had a spacious walk-in closet which was very convenient. The room was clean, with nice furniture; and the bathroom was spacious as well.
The conference was really good. Content aside, the conference hall was spacious and comfortable, with good acoustics and big screens; the temperature was comfortable for the most part (unlike usual, when AC is freezing cold), and breakfast was delicious and abundant. Although there were signs "breakfast is for attendees only", which made me think that there's not enough food planned, there was a lot of food for only 4 hours of lectures :)

Secondly, the staff at the front desk, restaurants, gift store etc, was very helpful and gave us great advice on what to do and where to go (special thanks to Christine). They tried to resolve whatever problems we had (such as not working Wi-Fi), and mostly with success.
We liked the Ocean restaurant (didn't go to Alma); we went there 4 times, tried their breakfast buffet (very good selection, I chose continental breakfast only, and still there was too much foods to try), dinner buffet (also were pleasantly surprised, very nice spread, they had many delicious salads, variety of meats and fish, also tacos and kids buffet, and delicious dessert. As a matter of fact, desserts at the buffet table were much better than those a la carte), and a la carte, which was also delicious. Their Snapper, crabcakes and fish stew are a must have! Desserts were good too.. But the buffet choices were better, like I said. Yes, there are less expensive choices around in Marathon, but it's not just food, it's the overall experience of this restaurant that counts; including terrace facing the firepit, which we really enjoyed.
Also, when it comes to food, I read the advice to utilize the mini-fridge and buy groceries in Marathon, which is exactly what we did, for breakfast and lunch. The sign on mini-fridge says that it's only a cooler to keep already cold foods, and is not meant to refrigerate; so listen to my advice, disregard :) I put there apples that were literally hot to touch after sitting in the sun, and they were ice cold next morning; and my soda and yogurt that I had put on the top shelf, froze and turned into ice.

They have several pools; I only tried the main one, I;m not really into pools.. Unfortunately, you can't swim in the ocean itself - there is a salt water lagoon separated from the ocean, because of the boats channel that leads to the marina. The lagoon is good size, to swim and kayak; but personally, I prefer the ocean. Besides, there's obviously no snorkeling in the lagoon. However, if you go to the other side of the resort, where there are villas, you can swim in the harbor. There is a tiny beach, and you can swim and snorkel there, but be sure to wear fins or water shoes, because the bottom is rocky. I liked it better than the lagoon.

We really enjoyed the firepit - in the evenings there is a musician playing guitar and singing, and he is really good. So we were sitting near the firepit, listening to live music and looking up at the stars.. Heaven :)
Also, I rented a bike and enjoyed the most scenic bike ride, along the Overseas highway.

No, to the unpleasant part. I don't know what the problem is, but the housekeeping was really, really lousy. First of all, they had a tendency to clean our room really late in the day - 4, 5, 6 pm, when we wanted to take a shower after the beach and relax before dinner, and instead we had to leave the room so that it could be cleaned. That was annoying.. Then, twice they didn't do any cleaning at all - first time we didn't complain, thinking that it must be a mistake; but the second time we returned really late, and when we called the front desk it was too late to clean anyway. Moreover, during the afternoon, there were literally bags with dirty laundry and trash in the hall as you walk by, just sitting there. Not nice. And when we saw cleaning staff and thought they would do our room next, they would tell us that no, it's not on their assignment, and then ..they would leave and nobody would come until late in the day. I can see that many people complain about similar things, so there really is a room for improvement in this resort.
But other than that, everything else was really nice.

Oh yes, most importantly, if you enjoy snorkeling, definitely go to the Sombrero reef - call Start Fish snorkeling tours. Thank me later! :) I've done snorkeling on almost all Caribbean islands, and I have never seen what I saw on this reef, and all in one small place. It really is a gem (I heard that the Bahia Honda park is even better, but the weather didn't cooperate, so we didn't get to go there).
Enjoy!

Room Tip: Corner room has a large balcony, and somewhat more privacy. Building 4 is away from the main pool and restaurant/bar, therefore it's nice and quiet there. Also, it faces sunrise above the ocean - a magnificent view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Aleksandra L
Hawks_Cay-FL, General Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

It was a pleasure to comfortably accommodate you during the conference and we appreciate that you've reached out and shared your experience. It is truly wonderful to learn that you not only chose to share your impressions but that you've also shared your recommendations with our future guests. While we are happy that you enjoyed so many aspects of our resort, we do regret if certain areas of your stay fell below your expectations. On behalf of our housekeeping department, I'd like to extend my sincere apologies for any oversights in service. Your experience does not match the high level of service we wish to provide and we will be sharing your remarks with the head of our housekeeping department. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention and we assure you that the necessary improvements will be made. We hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

I went to Hawks cay with my family for a week to get away, but be close to civilization to get my kids lunch and breakfast from the grocery store and having it sitting in the kitchen at the suite. Blam, now Ican be super lazy all day... YAAA!

Hawks Cay is nice spot. I stayed in one of the 3 bedroom condos within the resort. We had access to the resort amenties. They also have single and double rooms in the hotel itself. They appeared to be regular hotel room size.

Hawks Cay has a main pool and hot tub and a lagoon/beach of salt water + 2 other pools at the rec center. The lagoon is surrounded on all sides by the common Key coral sand and has a dock in the middle and kayaks to float. It is a nice little spot, cabanas etc.

Our Suite overlooked the harbor inlet, very pretty, nice and clean room, 2 floor living, lots of space, good new flat panel TV's in every room, nice size kitchen and open fllor plan dining and living room. extra room downstairs. nice back deck upstairs and down. really and very nice condo setup. washer/dryer. 3 full baths.

Resort has a nice Rec Center, good for kids, small soccer field, mini golf, full basketball court, gigantic chess, sand area, swings/playground and a kids ship/slide pool, and a nice big pool for everybody else. The rec staff has an indoor area for rainy days we didnt need ( :) )

Hotel has a small gift shop/coffee shop, access to jet ski's, fishing, boats.Town of Marathon is close with grocery stores and lots of restaurant choices. Nicely located away from everything, but close enough to get anything you need as if at home, make it easy to have a nice relaxing vacation. I would recommend it to families as many go, and to couples as they have an adult only pool, this is 18 over and is nice and quiet. The staff makes sure it stays that way too. Very good staff at Hawks Cay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ron u

Thank you for sharing such a detailed review of your stay. It is always wonderful to learn when a guest enjoys their time with us and we greatly appreciate your guest perspective. It seems like you really made the most out of your family getaway and we're glad that you chose the Hawks Cay Resort, as it was a pleasure to accommodate you for the week. Thank you for kind recognition of our staff members and we hope you'll visit again soon.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

My family spent two nights at Hawks Cay. It was very nice. Our lodging was a two story townhouse style with two bedrooms, bath and a half, and a full kichen. Very nice. Very clean. Very nicely furnished. Definitely would stay there again, but check out the military discount if you qualify. It is substantial. We ate at a beach bar out by the water and it was very good and not overly expensive. Later my daughter and her husband ordered two large mojitos out by the little lagooon. The tab for two drinks was $42. My wife and I met some friends in the bar in the lobby and 4 drinks (three glasses of wine and a gin and tonic) was $63. So, just be aware, they are proud of their liquor. All in all, it's a beautiful facility and worth considering.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank John H

Thank you for taking the time to share you and your family's Hawks Cay Resort experience with us. We greatly appreciate you sharing your impressions of our accommodations and amenities. We do regret any inconveniences with our drink charges. We are always looking for new ways to enhance our guest experience and appreciate your honest and constructive feedback. We hope you'll choose to stay with us again sometime in the near future.

Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

The whole family hated to leave this paradise nestled in the middle of the Keys. We rented a 3 BR Harbor Villa and I was disappointed that the third bedroom was the exact same tiny first floor room that they put a small futon in the 2 BR unit, only they squeezed a queen bed in there. It was just too small to be a guest bedroom! My parents made it do, but I wasn't happy. But, the rest of the place was as expected. The grounds and facilities are incredible. Great family vacation destination in the Keys!

• Stayed: November 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience and beautiful description of our resort! We are happy to know that you consider us to be a great family vacation destination in the Keys. It is disappointing to learn that you were not overly impressed with our accommodations and we wish we could have addressed any concerns at the time of your visit. Our staff would have been happy to help find the perfect room accommodations to ensure a more comfortable visit. We are very pleased to learn that we met your expectations in other areas of your visit and hope you'll think of the Hawks Cay Resort again!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Where do I start> We had never been to Florida Keys and this appealed to us as it had facilities for kids. We arrived at 11pm as we never realised it was a 2 hour drive from Miami airport. It was easily found just off the US1 and once you hit Duck key it is first left. Our first minor disappointment no food available at 11pm and not even a tea bag or sachet of coffee in the room after a long journey. But opening the curtains next day the view was amazing. We stayed in Sunset Villas 2 bed 2 bathroom. We found all the staff very helpful and especially our waitress Donelene who was local and very friendly. We stayed 7 nights but could of easily stayed longer. The kids club my son loved although I don't think the activities are advertised much as we turned up for 2 events and neither went ahead as lack of kids. Probably due to the time of year we were there and lack of kids in general. The rooms were well kept with a TV in both bedrooms with good signal. The Wifi signal was very weak and kept dropping out which was a negative. Everything is quite pricey here with 18% added for service and then the tax. We found the breakfast buffet to be good value, but only had dinner twice on the resort as it was expensive and we wanted to try other places anyway. The cost of fishing which I wanted to do was extortianate with the brochure quoting $400 for half day back country fishing and $1600 for a full day on the reef. They said gratuities were not included!!! I would go back tomorrow as it is a lovely place close to nature with a lot going for it and a certain bit of class.

Room Tip: We found the Sunset Villas great for us. 2 adults and child with great views in the evening as the name suggests of the sun going down
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your family getaway at the Hawks Cay Resort. Your five-star rating and lovely review of our property is appreciated by each and every one of us. We do regret if you experienced any inconveniences or difficulties due to our off-season and hope these inconveniences were minimal during your time here. We have shared your concerns regarding our Internet connection with the appropriate members of our staff. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back, if your travels bring you back to our area.