Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Fishing Guides”
Review of Hawks Cay Resort

Hawks Cay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We came to Hawks Cay for our honeymoon to do some inshore fishing. The resort was a nice place to stay with a great location. They add on a lot of hidden expenses that you don't know about until you check out. It is pretty much whatever price they tell you add a third of that price to it for the hidden fees. We went with an inshore guide Soc Et Tu Um it was a joke. We caught maybe six fish that trip on a whole day. We came to catch tarpon, bonefish, and snook. The only fish that we caught out of them was a tarpon about 10lbs. We did not catch any of the other fish we came to catch, it was just other trash fish that we caught the rest of the day. The guide would just put us on a spot and tell us to cast. He would keep us there for an hour or two until we just got tired of casting and sat down. Then we would go somewhere else and same thing again, like he was just trying to waste time to get the six hours over. Then he would come up with some excuse about why the fish aren't butting. I fish all the time and know a lot about it and I know that he was not a good guide and would not recommend him to anyone. It was a wasted day and money. He will Soc Et Tu Um on your pocket book is about it.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Hankers15

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Just had the pleasure of spending a long weekend at Hawks Cay. We had a lanai room facing the adults-only Tranquility pool, just steps from the pool and waterfront. We loved the Dolphin Connection (a once-in-a-lifetime experience) and enjoyed the poolside food and drink service, as well as the very pretty lagoon area. It is an ideal destination for families with young kids, and couples looking for quiet together time. Those looking for a more party-hearty atmosphere might prefer another resort, although Hawks Cay makes a nice base to visit other Keys from, too.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KelliD
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is by far the WORST hotel I've ever stayed at. We stayed 2 nights & had no choice coz we were there to celebrate a friends 40th birthday. We stayed in one of the townhouse style at the Sunset villa. From the outside, it looks very nice. The inside is so disappointing. You walk into the kitchen first, which has the cheapest looking stainless steel appliances. The furniture were horrible!!! The sofa in the living room was so old, it felt like the cushion was starting to get stiff. When we got upstairs, the 2 bedrooms were itsy bitsy TINY! There were double beds in each room & they also had their own bathrooms. There were barely enough room to have your suitcases in the bedrooms & only one person can walk around at a time. The entire weekend, the humidity in the room did not improve. Our clothes felt a bit damp & so did everything else. The bathrooms had mildew/mold in the tiles (see photo attached). The cleaning people did not even come the next day to clean. I saw them outside & they just gave us more towels. I guess cleaning the room would have been an additional charge??? Upon checkout, there was a long line because every single person was going through the itemized bill & looked perplexed!!! I've never seen a checkout like that.
Overall, It was just a crappy place!!!! I expected for the price we paid, you would get a better quality room & service. We did not get either one. We do NOT recommend this resort & will NEVER come back here. It was the worst stay i've ever experienced.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank dancelovah4life
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I just came back from a stay at Hawks Cay with my family. It was our first time there and rest assured it was our last one too. While the island is quite nice, the hotel itself is low-end, with poor service and high prices. Rooms are basic, and the staff is utterly useless. As early as 8am, the maids talk and laugh out loud in the corridors, waking me and my kids up every day. Getting a towel by the pool is a whole lengthy process where you need to show room key and fill a form, and the hotel charges you $25 per towel you leave on your chair and do not bring back to the desk. Most outrageous was when I discovered upon check-out that the hotel tacked on more than $300 of additional fees on my bill which I never agreed to, and refused to take them off. Bottom line, for this price you're better off at much higher-end resorts such as the ones in Miami Beach.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
14  Thank ER_NYNewYork
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was down in Duck Key staying at the Hawks Cay Resort for a wedding and had to send out important mail that needed to be printed, signed and over-nighted. Joanne from Delaware and Benjamin from Connecticut were amazing. She personally helped me print everything(even on legal paper) and get all my mail sent out on time for overnight delivery the following day. They were respectful, friendly, and absolutely understanding. Benjamin helped me accommodate my guests with a rollaway bed COMPLIMENTARY! It was so nice staying with them this weekend. The wedding was beautiful, the pool was pristine and the dolphins were unforgettable. I highly recommend this resort for a full service experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Maggie R
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We booked one night for a wedding we attended at the resort. Because it is the only option on Duck Key, they can pretty much charge whatever they want and get away with it. Room rate was ridiculous for the time of year and rooms were just average. Bathrooms were nice, but who really spends that much time in there anyway. The in room phones did not work when we trie calling the front desk or the operator.

Service was abysmal. We had a check in at 4 pm and if they could accommodate us a little early sine the wedding began at 6. We arrive at 2:30 and the room wasn't ready until 4:30.

Worst of all, they do not allow outside food, drinks, or coolers at he pool. Obviously this is so guests will spend money at the bar and restaurants.

Overall an extremely disappointing experience unworthy of a AAA four diamond rating.

• Stayed: September 2013
8  Thank CeleryIsGross
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband booked Hawks Cay for our Wedding Anniversary. We heard wonderful things about this resort and had to experience it for ourselves . The expectations we had were very little. We thought it was going to be like a small resort with little to do. Boy ! We were wrong. Hawks Cay exceeded all our expectation and then some. Let me start off by saying that I am the pickiest hotel guest when it comes to cleanliness. First we got a regular room but upon our arrival we were upgraded to a suit with a view of the pool. View of the pool is nothing. We had access to the pool right out of our lanai. Gorgeous room .... Super clean and the bed was soooo comfortable. The shower head had great water pressure and very spacious. The hotel service was beyond amazing all the employees were friendly and kind. The resort is also very family friendly.our daughter joined us the second day we were there and spent the rest of the weekend with us . She enjoyed all the amenities; the lagoon , pool ,bike riding , dolphin cove , breakfast. We truly had a wonderful time. We can't wait to go back and spend more time in paradise. Wonderful experience ... Taking wonderful memories .

• Stayed: September 2013
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
Cheeca Lodge & Spa
Cheeca Lodge & Spa
#7 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!