“Another Day in Paradise”
Review of Hawks Cay Resort

Hawks Cay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Melbourne, Florida
“Another Day in Paradise”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We have been coming to Hawks Cay for many many years and , as usual, enjoyed a relaxing and enjoyable visit. Stayed in a beautiful villa on the water which was clean, well equipped and a short walk on dock or road to all amenities. The facilities in all areas were updated and immaculate, did not even see litter or disgusting cigarette butts anywhere. Resort entry was always staffed with clean and friendly employees ready to assist.
We rotated between the lagoon and palapas, main pool with kids and great music, then to the adult only area & pool. Quiet, serene and private chaise lounge areas if you wanted even more privacy. Pool staff were always within sight and frozen piña coladas with dark rum were hard to resist.
A great feature in multiple locations were free filtered ice water dispensers with cups too cool your thirst. Clean and convenient restrooms near pool.
Good food with a grouper BLT sandwiche served poolside or pool bar that was beyond outstanding.
My favorite marina restaurant with a great nightclub burned down earlier this year was my only disappointment
Resort bill can add up quickly with food and drinks but you need to just be aware of this.
We will be returning !!

Room Tip: Review different room locations and views on their website before booking. Some areas are a short wa...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank c0de7777

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,145)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
new york
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I was a bit nervous about my stay as the reviews seem spilt down the middle. But I'm happy to say my review will be on the positive side after my stay.

Check in:
Was quick and painless. Although I did notice others waiting on long lines the following day

Staff:
I only experienced friendly, hard working and helpful people. The beach wait staff are excellent!

Property:
Beautiful and clean. The landscaping was perfect and the groundkeepers work very hard to keep it clean

Room:
We stayed in a junior oceanview King Suite. I must say it was one of the nicest rooms I have stayed in and I travel a lot. Very clean, comfortable bed, large and high end furnishings and toiletries. I noticed other guests complaining about their rooms but they seem to be in the condos which are mostly individually owned. I would recommend staying in the hotel.

Another area I was pleased with. Alma was right up there with NYC food. Great meal. Ocean was just ok for breakfast. The beach grill was also very good. The shrimp bucket and sandwiches are very tasty. The drinks are also very good with a strong pour. It is true it was a bit pricey but I was satisfied with the quality.

Lagoon and pools
We spent most of our time in the lagoon. My daughter loved it. The family pool was packed with the Rosh Hashanah group. The adult pool looked very nice but we had our child so we didn't get to use it.

Now for my grip...I know hotels cannot control their guests but I will never stay during their Rosh Hashanah week. They are a very large group that takes over the entire hotel. The children were unruly with no parents in sight. The language used around the pool was awful and most guests lacked basic consideration for others. I noticed staff trying to control at least some of the coolers around the pool (which is not allowed) and they were told off by the guests. I took my child to the Indies club one afternoon and they were holding a children's program for the Rosh Hashanah guests so we didn't stay. Basicially, the children's center was always being used for one of their events so we didn't get to enjoy that area. I would not come again during ths week as I don't think others guests get the service and ammenities they deserve.

3 Thank Tiff5LI
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Nice resort to be in. There are many hotel in the Keys but I think Hawks Cay is the one of the decent, nice looking one. The lagoon at the resort is kinna dirty but the pool is real nice and warm. Staff are nice and friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shiko1218
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Hawks Cay is our go to place when we need a family getaway from the hustle and bustle of Miami. This is our third time back, and as ususal we get there and have friendly people welcoming us back. Our villa was so clean, modern, and had a wonderful screened patio with easy water access for my husbands Kayak. My boys, 11 and 9, love the comforts of home and being able to come in everyday for a quick bite is worth every penny! The villa is a short walk to the main resort although there is constant trollies coming by to take you to the main area. The main pool and lagoon area are wonderful! They love the daily fun activities and love using the kayaks in the lagoon. Not to mention having the Dolphin experience available there to be a part of; they both enjoyed it so much! My kids never want to leave! It really is a great place for families to enjoy. I'm already looking forward to next years stay!

1 Thank mcorrale
usa
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We just came back from Hawks Cay. The resort itself is very clean and well maintained overall. The beds are comfy and rooms are a decent size. Our family loved the pools and the spa like atmosphere. Associates were very friendly, greeting you as they passed by and asking how your day is going. The location is great right smack in the middle of the Keys.

Although it is very clean there are some drawbacks. First one was the internet connection. I had to send out an email for work and the internet was awful. Best bet is to bring your own with you, you will cry if you have to use theirs. If you do not have your own internet, you can use the computers in the main lobby area which work just fine. Internet in your room and outside of the lobby is awful. Second drawback is the lack of knowledge the associates have when it came to the Dolphin activities. I signed up our first day for the Dockside Dolphin activity, I was told that they booked fast and to make a reservation. I was not told that the reservation can not be cancelled, if you try you will be charged the full amount of the activity anyway. They also make it seem like your group would be the only one there. For the dockside activity, you can have up to 12 people with you and you are not allowed to take your own pictures. Neither associate I spoke with notified me of this information. I was thinking I would have a chance for my kids and I to feed dolphins and take lots of pictures when they did it. Third con is they do not offer you extra pillows. Asked three times for an extra pillow . First two associates we asked said they would be right up, the third one we asked stated it is not Hawks Cay practice to offer extra pillows.
Overall, a great place to go to but watch the associates giving you false or misleading information. I do not think they are trying to be sneaky, they are just not trained on what the resort has to offer.

2 Thank ekimak0930
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We live in Miami but this was the first time at Hawks Cay Resort, it was a wonderful experience. It is a hidden place in paradise, it has a pool that is an ocean lagoon, dolphins are right there where you can see them and even swim with them. It has an adults pool, perfect to enjoy a quiet moment in the sun. The tiki bar is great and the "Alma" restaurant and lounge is the perfect way to end the day with a drink and some "tapas". If you go to the keys, don't miss this nice resort for a great vacation. Only downside: checkout is at 11am, we asked for at least one more hour and they were not able to extend, they should consider having checkout at 12pm, so you can enjoy your morning!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank MFRGO
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

This was my 4th stay at this resort in 5 years, and 2nd stay this summer due to different family members planning a getaway. I used to love this resort, now basic things like housekeeping and front desk and concierge service were a big MISS. Both times this summer, we stayed in wing 4 (4309, 4202) and both times housekeeping was inconsistent--- we shouldn't tan out of toilet paper and had to call for more, even though the room had been cleaned just hours before. We had to ask for more towels and toiletries from housekeeper, and she still didn't leave any! We went 2 days with no lotion bc housekeeping didn't have any on her cart. I'm not sure what she did the hour she was in our room, but it wasn't basic restocking. For an expensive resort as Hawk's Cay, I'm shocked to have experienced bad service like this on 2 different visits! We will not be returning.
We also ordered room service a few times, and asked to pay for a topping to be added to the kid's cheese pizza order, and were told No! What nice resort refuses pepperoni on a pizza, we were willing to pay! Just poor basic service all the way around. Also this trip, the hotel seemed crowded and the pool and lagoon filled up early, mostly with empty towels of people claiming areas. A nice hotel such as this should take notice of this as it was very frustrating to come out and see rows of empty chairs but no where to sit. Also the printer in business office was broken all 4 days we were there w/ a note to go to front desk to print. Front desk referred us to concierge who made us wait over 15 minutes both times we needed to print and actually questioned us about broken printer! Over 4 days, you can leave a note, but not have something replaced, yet blame customers for not using it?
The wifi is hit or miss, the resort fee is high but activities at resort and towels are not included in resort fee. Overall, for Hawk's Cay to claim to be a lavish resort, it needs to seriously re-evaluate its basic services and lack of consistency. It is in no way a value or worth the high price. It's just a basic family resort, albeit a beautiful locale, but has allowed families to overrun decorum and the experience has suffered. I wish the resort would go back to it's standards of 5-6 years ago.

I would not recommend this resort unless you enjoy being frustrated after paying extremely high rates.

• Stayed August 2013
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!