“Great service, cool spot, moolah” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hawks Cay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Harker Heights, Texas
“Great service, cool spot, moolah”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Liked the resort very much. Everything costs something but, damn. Great pools, the lagoon was very cool, service was great. Room was also very nice. No problems at all until the bill, but you get what you pay for. Felt a bit like sandals were it not all inclusive. I am the current watermelon eating champion, BTW. Thought my 12 year old would get more out of their tween services but that may be an internal problem. Overall, great food, great service, very fun atmosphere, would stay again. Heck, I bought a shirt.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank nestakai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,103)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

My good friend and I vacation together every year for Spring Break since both our children are "only's." This year we came without the guys and stayed in a two bedroom "Harbor Village" townhome at Hawk's Cay in late March over Spring break. Collectively we had two adults and two seven year old children and we had more than enough room for all of us. The location was excellent as we were very close to the main part of the resort and the pool and lagoon there, but really the whole resort was pretty easy to walk around. We also loved the "boardwalk" behind these townhomes that gave us the ability to fish practically off our back porch and watch the boats go by etc. (and we caught a lot of weird stuff!); however, this would have been a nightmare with kids any younger than ours since there is not even a railing between the edge of the boardwalk and the water. We visited the kid's club once but stayed with the kids--it was very crowded and my son is on the autism spectrum--I didn't feel comfortable leaving him for the paid program. We did go back to the Kids Club for the Easter Egg hunt (we were there over the holiday) and that was really fantastic--the staff hid thousands of eggs with little prizes in them. Overall we found the facilities in pretty good shape and lots to love about the resort grounds, BUT....I don't think we are likely to be back. The resort is really, really expensive for a place that is not an all-inclusive. For the same money we could have had a pretty spectacular vacation in Cancun or the Caribbean without shelling out so many extra dollars for EVERYTHING.

Room Tip: Don't choose the Harbor Village Townhomes if you have small children because the boardwalk behin...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank selaineh
HawksCayResort, Director of Marketing at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear selaineh,

Thank you so much for your detailed review and for choosing to spend your Easter holiday at Hawks Cay. I'm so happy to hear that you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. You shared some great tips related to your villa and the docks behind it. I just wanted to note that the boardwalk your mentioned is a dock for boats, so a railing is not able to be added.

I do hope you'll visit us again in the future and wanted to mention that better pricing is often available if you are able to avoid holiday week travel. If I can be of any assistance in planning your next trip, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Siesta Key, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Not only is the staff extremely rude, they overcharge for food. Our stay was for a destination wedding..Our room wasnt ready after a very long drive...they said they would call us when ready, they didnt. The villa was nice, but the floors were buckling from humidity and there were bugs from sugar ants to 1000 leggers in our villa. Villa were poorly stocked, so beware. The only nice people we encountered were the people who stood and opened the main doors for you, always polite and cheerful and the man they sent around to collect your garbage, extremely friendly and courteous. Even the towel girl was rude, she gave out towels. I would not reccommend this place to a friend. The buffet was so overpiced and the food did not suit the bill! Mac and cheese, pizza, etc.. Very overpriced for a family. The initial room cost was high, and ontop of that they charge you a resort fee, that is fine if you get to use all that is there, For that u get to park, use the pool, lagoon, and the little weight room in the main lobby. They had paddle boats, you had to pay for those. Most of the food we got was cold and tasteless. Its a shame, because it was a destination wedding and you really cant complain and ruin the newlywed's week long stay! Again, I would pick another place. and I would not go back there.

Room Tip: The hotel rooms for family if you want to go out onto the family pool, they are very small and stuff...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank joan c
Dear joan c,

Let me apologize on behalf of our entire team for what was clearly a disappointing stay for you. I hope that you'll contact me directly so that we can better address your concerns.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We girlfriend and myself spent 5 days here and it was fabulous. We had a room in the main hotel with a great view of the lagoon. We went there primarily to fish having seen the hotel advertised on some of the fishing networks and we were not disappointed. The captains at the marina are very nice and want you to catch fish. My girlfriend caught a 4 foot Tarpon and I landed a 250 lb. Nurse shark and a 92" Swordfish. We had a greata time fishing and then enjoyed our evenings with good food and drink in their various restaurants. The resort is beautifully decorated with palm trees and a white sandy beach surrounding a lovely lagoon. Whether you are looking for just a beautiful vacation resort or you go for the fishing, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the lagoon. It is a beautiful sight.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear john2544,

Wow, it sounds like you and your girlfriend had a great fishing adventure here! I'm thrilled that you so thoroughly enjoyed your time at Hawks Cay. We hope to welcome you back for many fishing adventures to come.

Miami, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Overall, the value was very poor. My husband and I paid over $400/night and for that, we expect a level of design and finish comparable to a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons (which have similar pricing).

The room design/finish (the bathroom in particular) would be a low level Marriott at BEST. Very disappointing. Bathrooms are in serious need of upgrade. Just because you have a granite countertop doesn't make a bathroom "nice," nor do they make up for cheap fixtures and lighting. The bed was fabulous and very comfortable and the A/C worked great.

Although I understand it was a holiday weekend, the resort was packed and there were people in their bathing suits (without a shirt or cover-up) in the lobby. However, this is partly because the poorly designed hotel doesn't have "lounge" or sitting area anywhere. The lobby provides the only lounge seating (besides the restaurants) in the entire hotel.

There was no policing of the "adults only" pool and kids were over there frequently. It's called the "Tranquility Pool," but between the kids and adult "kids" playing rap music, it was hardly tranquil.

Ocean and Alma were both very good and were the only positives and the staff there equally as fabulous. John and Cheryl at the Alma Bar and Beth at Ocean were all fantastic!

Another MAJOR issue: After 10:00 during the week, if you get hungry, you're out of luck. No room service, no restaurants open, and no in-room snack options. You starve or have to drive off the island somewhere. This is RIDICULOUS! At the bare minimum, there should be a "mini-bar" with food options in the room or room service at least until 12. I don't know how they can consider themselves a 4-diamond hotel when they allow guests to starve.

Will not return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Barbara S
Dear BStauder,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback of your recent stay with us. I apologize that we did not provide you with an exceptional experience. Please know that I have shared your comments with our leadership team and we will do our best to address some of the points that you brought up.

I hope that you'll give us the opportunity to earn your loyalty in the future. Please contact me directly if I can be of any additional assistance.

North Bellmore, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

My family just spent 5 nights, and it was fantastic. We had a room in the main hotel on the second floor. The view of palm trees swaying in the breeze was very calming. The lagoon was very nice. We scored a spot with a tiki umbrella and I was definitely on vacation. Matt and Brian were there to help with lunch and drinks, always available but never bothersome, which I consider outstanding. My boys were able to paddle board in the lagoon, or quick hop over to the adjacent pool. We did the dolphin experience, so cool. The entire resort was very clean, I never saw any of the issues in some of the other reviews. A quick hop to islamorada or marathon. Day trip to Key west was not very family friendly, and we couldn't wait to get back to Hawks Cay and its welcoming environment. Pools were clean at all times. Nice kids activities, my older son loved the mini golf. Room was clean, and the bathroom was huge with a fantastic walk-in shower. Staff was attentive and friendly. Towel policy was a little weird, I must admit. I guess they had a plague of towel thefts in the past. Whatever, we dealt with it. Overall summary: clean, family-friendly, beautiful scenery. I highly recommend Hawks Cay.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JBBlanchard
Dear JB Blanchard,

Thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your experience with fellow travelers. We hope to welcome you back to Hawks Cay soon!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

The good: My kids (7 & 5) had a great time and the dolphin experience was neat. Other than that, it kinda goes downhill from an adult standpoint. The food, the room, and the service were all just ok. The lagoon is totally overrated and the bed/pillows were literally the most uncomfortable I've ever slept on! Take a minute to look into Tranquility Bay a few miles south. I wish we would have stayed there!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Jmadams1977
Dear Jmadams1977,

Thank you for visiting Hawks Cay and for sharing your feedback. I'm sorry that we were not able to provide you with an exceptional experience. I hope that we'll have the opportunity to earn your loyalty in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Duck Key
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Village at Hawks Cay Villas by Keys Caribbean
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!