“Family Oriented Fun” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Dallas, Texas
“Family Oriented Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

This resort is a ways outside of Key West, so you are not impacted by all the partying and younger travelers. This place is a great setting for families, and I highly recommend getting kayaks, and taking them around the surrounding area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Harrison P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,102)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Learn from our experience. Heard about how kid friendly this experience was supposed to be. The rudest people on property we encountered at the "Indies" kids club. I cannot imagine leaving our children with this young lady...I think that she would have been yelling at them within minutes. She was very rude and short with us as adults. Sort of the stereotypical teenager annoyed that she had to be at work. Not sure what she does any way. This is not like other clubs where you can pay to drop off your kids. There is a separate summer camp to do so, but otherwise parents have to stay and supervise. When asked where we could get towels she simply pointed,not a word or offer to help. By the way, you have to do the work to keep track of your towels and return them anywhere on Hawks Cay property. I wonder how much $ we save them by doing that. At most other resorts there are people endlessly picking up towels, it's part if the deal. Here - $25 per towel if you don't do their work and return them. Not just at kids club. Really?Seriously? $4k to stay here for the week and I have to pick up towels? And have a teenager be rude to me? And supervise my kids at the kids club? And why did she hold my room key while we were there? In case we didnt return our towels maybe?

Other complaints are nits compared to the bad experience at the kids club, but they all seem to point to a resort that is trying to squeeze out additional profit by cutting corners with operating expense in serving guests. Shampoo but no conditioner, light bulbs that don't work, room service attendant had to call kitchen to ask what was in a sandwich because she didnt know... It's hiring, it's training, etc.

Next time for us it will be Cheeca Lodge, which we visited while here and got better service. We aren't even staying there! We did all our ocean excursions from there also - more options....

8 Thank Jonathan T
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Well, where can I start , I'll start with the room if your thinking of staying at the Hawks Cay Resort make sure you bring an air freshener I had to switch rooms because it smelled like a wet dog . The second room / 3 bd villa was just as bad we drove 7 hrs to get there or else I would of drove back home. The restaurants have bad food not to mention very expensive we had 2 cheeseburgers a quesadilla & a chicken sandwich all with waters our bill 80.00. I don't mind paying but at least serve good fresh food. There is no housekeeping I found out it's 35.00 a day.
The only good thing I can say is they have Starbucks and that's it. The pictures they have posted are not what you're going to see when you get there. The kid area closes very early ,the lagoon is well ok not so great.The pool the same not so great. I hope this helps I spent 300 a night if your looking for luxury it's not the place for you.

Room Tip: Don't expect a luxury room we stayed at the most expensive room and it's not all that.
6 Thank Renee R
HawksCayResort, Director of Marketing at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Renee R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our goal is always to provide each guest with an exceptional experience, and I am so sorry that we were not able to do so for you. I hope that you will contact me directly so that we can learn more about your stay and address the issues that you encountered appropriately.

Jennifer.dinan@hawkscay.com
Dania Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Nice location and beautiful grounds. Pools are great. But considering the price (and $30/day resort fee for which you get nothing) you'd expect the staff to either solve the myriad of problems that came up during our stay or at least provide some sort of compensation. We got neither solutions nor compensation - instead we just got a bunch of "oh well" and "nothing we can do about it." The "little" problems (below) become significant when the staff does NOTHING to resolve them. Its like once you give them your money, they just go away....

Room not ready until nearly 4:30. TV in living room did not function. Ceiling fan and light in living room did not work. Internet unusable-slow. Barely even registered on my laptop. No late check out allowed (after being late with check-in.). Maintenance was called to fix the problems but could not. In fact, the guy basically said "oh well, half of these things don't work here."

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Sandbartender
Dear Sandbartender,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us. First, let me apologize for the disappointing experience you had with us. Our team works hard to ensure that guests do not encounter any issues in the first place; however, if an issue does happen to spring up, they should be resolved quickly to our guests' satisfaction. I am so sorry that this is not the experience that you had.

I do want to make a point of clarification regarding the Resort Fee which provides self and valet parking, wireless internet access throughout the Resort, transportation throughout the Resort via our Island Tram, and unlimited use of the tennis and fitness facilities, Indies Club, Sports Field and Putting Course. I apologize that this was not better communicated to you.

I hope that you will contact me directly so that we can appropriately address the issues that you encountered. We would like to have the opportunity to earn your loyalty in the future.

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We selected this resort based on hits location relative to the mainland. It seemed like a quick drive to reach it from Miami. This was our first trip to the keys. We also needed separate rooms for our small ones, which they can accomodate in a variety of ways. The kids splash pad with pirate ship and water features entertained our 6, 4 & 2 year olds for a whole morning and ended with begging to go back. All of the pools are particularly nice, but the one at the hotel that's for adults WITH kids was especially nice as it had live music and an ocean view.

2 Thank HeyTanner
Dear HeyTanner,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Hawks Cay experience. I'm so glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay and that you chose Hawks Cay to be your first Florida Keys experience. We hope to welcome you back for many years to come.

West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to Hawks' Cay for a little weekend escape. We are very familiar with the Florida Keys, but have never stayed at this location. The staff is pleasant, the main hotel is clean, and the lobby is open and decorated very well. The property is huge, but we stayed in the main building/resort. Since we do not have children (this is a family friendly resort) we chose a room on the backside of the hotel near the adult (21+) tranquility pool. The first day we arrived, we went for a quick swim in the tranquility pool and even though it is 21+, some guests act as if they are teenagers…load talking, lots of booze…you get my drift. Our room was lovely and we had a large wrap around deck to sit out on, drink a glass of wine, and watch the sun set. The A/C was very load when it kicked in. If we were staying for an extended period of time I would have mentioned it to the staff or asked for a room change. The first night we decided to stay on property and eat in the Ocean restaurant. We chose to dine outside overlooking the Resort Pool and Fire Pit because inside it gets very load and there were tons of kids running around. The food and service was very good and we came back to the same spot for breakfast the next morning before going on a snorkeling adventure. After dinner, we sat by the fire pit and were amazed that after 10 pm people were still in the main pool. Personally, we prefer smaller, boutique-style resorts, but this was a nice 3 day get-away. I would recommend Hawks Cay for families, but probably not for couples looking for some R&R away from the kiddies.

Room Tip: The property is very large. Rooms facing the main pool are great if you have kids or don't mind...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TLR3131
Dear TLR3131,

Thank you for your detailed review. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your quick trip from West Palm to Hawks Cay. I always tell my South Florida friends that we are a short drive, but feel like we're a world away from the mainland. We hope to welcome you back to Hawks Cay in the future.

Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

This was my 3rd trip in 5 years to Hawk's Cay and definitely the worst accommodations to date. We paid $300/night for a basic, dated hotel room with fancy bed and toiletries. Previous stays must have been in a recently remodeled wing of the hotel. There was an issue with consistency with housekeeping. One day out glasses/ Ice bucket were taken and not replaced and other days out toiletries were not restocked at all or leaving out shampoo or lotion. We even left a note after this to please restock shampoo and received 2 conditioners. The room itself had a very basic, dated bathroom, unlike a previous stay which had the same King, Island view room with a large opulent bathroom/ steam shower. Our towels were stored across the room in a closet, which was an odd thing. The carpet was also worn and stained and the walls were dirty. Just a disappointment for the high price per night and compared to previous visits.

For the good-- this resort has everything! Regardless of your party, you can find something that appeals to everyone. The staff were all helpful and friendly and the resort location in the middle keys is perfect for exploring all the Keys as a whole have to offer. Would definitely recommend this resort but request a newer room.

• Stayed June 2013
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Village at Hawks Cay Villas by Keys Caribbean
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!