“Second trip - keeps getting better”
Review of Hawks Cay Resort

Hawks Cay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Deptford, New Jersey
“Second trip - keeps getting better”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is our second time staying at Hawks Cay. We had a Lani room the first trip but just a water view this time. I much prefer the Lani room... much cleaner and more convenient to the pool. However, the resort was still wonderful. The views from our room were breath-taking. The second story deck was small but quiet and private, beds were comfortable and bathrooms were spacious and well decorated. We just love Hawks Cay and would recommend it!!! Perfect location in the center of the Keys and great for kids but not overwhelming for adults. Pools are beautiful, the salt water lagoon is wonderful and camp fire at night with live music on some nights is relaxing!!! Can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Lani room has a wonderful deck and spectacular views!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,145)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Duck key dive staff couldn't have been better. Wade was especially helpful............
Jet pac man was very cool!!!!!!!

Stayed at marina village. 2 bedroom suite. Excellent view of marina.
Good food
Watch out for resort charges ........

John dubon from Long Island.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Photo1126
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was our first family visit to the Florida keys and we could not have picked a better place to stay! Not only great for families but also nice for adult time also. Diving with Dive Duck Key was outstanding. Linda, our dive guide was tremendous, very accommodating and great with seniors as well as teens!! The spa on sight was nice and relaxing. On the fourth day of our stay, they had live music at the main pool/saltwater lagoon/fire pit- simply wonderful! By far one of the best piña colada I have ever had!! Our whole family, young and old, loved the stay here. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2013
Bonita Springs, Florida, United States
Reviewed June 21, 2013

my husband I stayed at Hawks Cay June 9 through June 15. We fished, caught 40 dolphins with Capt. Gary on Tailwalker III, great fun. We did the dolphin experience and it is worth every dime and trainers are great. We snorkels and did scuba and both were awesome. The tranquility pool was great. The food at the pool bar was good. The pizza delivery To the room was good. And the bartender Cheryl Alma is an asset and the food was good at the bar. The room was the only issue. We had a premium king ocean view room Room #4208. When we first arrived on Sunday I noticed a moderate smell of bleach but nothing to offensive. by Tuesday I noticed something odd looking on the Cellini and thought it may be mold. When we woke up on Thursday morning the walls were literally black with mold and breathing had become an issue. we reported the issue at 7:30 am on Thursday on our to snubs and was told I would receive a call before our return,, no call. When we Came back to room we stop at the desk and spoke with Benjamin, very nice and helpful person. We should him the pictures of the black wall and he immediately promised to credit Us with a Nights stay, a $100 credit and a room upgrade. We went to lunch he made the arrangements. Benjamin did give us a Room upgrade and a $100 credit but I
was not given a credIt for one night. I am guessing these promises were above his pay grade. More disturbing Is that the smell off bleach in the area was unbelievable trying to rid the room of mold, but the next Morning we was someone going into the room to paint. It's is not going to solve the problem in that room. I completed the survey that is sent to patrons as they check and told me story and offered to send pictures and left my number for them to call. I most likely would not stay again because of these reactions due to the mold

Room Tip: Make sure it is not 4208
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Donna Marie A
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This was our first time to the keys and when we drove through Key Largo we were relieved that we hadnt decided to stop there. As we approached Duck Key we could see what a great place we were letting ourselves in for and first impression didnt disappoint. We were booked into a 2 bed villa at the sunset village. On arrival we found it to be very small and dark with no privacy to the verandah or balcony. on checking the bedrooms out the beds were 2 small for 2 adults and needed a ladder to climb into them. I think they are designed for small kids and not the 4 adults in our party.
The next morning after next to no sleep I went to reception and asked to be moved. We were then given two huge rooms next door to each other in the hotel. The reception lady bent over backwards to help us and showed us the room first to make sure we were happy with it before moving our stuff. Although it had no balcony it was a large room with two big beds and a huge bathroom, what a result. The hotel is on top of the main pools and lagoon and all the eateries so it was much more suitable for us. I just dont think that Virgin offered it to us as an option when booking. The newly opened Ocean restaurant was great for breakfast and dinner buffet and the Beach grill .
Once we found the adult tranquility pool we were set for the holiday and we thoroughly enoyed the night swim when we had it to ourselves under the stars.
We did the sunset cruise and a bike ride around Duck key, both well worth it.
One of the highlights was seeing the Dolphins in their pool and the resident iguanas!
One day we drove down to Key West which was great.
Would definately come back next time we make it to the Keys

Oviedo, Florida
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Hawks Cay is a great resort for families of all ages. We have stayed on property several times and have always enjoyed ourselves. The employees are friendly, the food was good and reasonably priced, and the amenities are just what you would expect from a waterfront resort. Our room was comfortable and well maintained. There is a nice Starbucks counter inside the gift shop that has great smoothies, breakfast and snack items, in addition to their usual drinks. There are plenty of activities to keep you busy on site and you are a short drive away if you want to visit any of the other Keys. The only suggestion I would make is to not be downwind of the trash cans surrounding the pool. During the the heat of the summer they get pretty smelly.

1 Thank Kelly M
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The rooms and espically bathrooms are very nice. However do not try to check in early as the front desk does not want to give you an early check-in. We were traveling on business and the front desk put the room rate on my company's business account but tried to put taxes and resort fee ($70) on my personal card. I had to call my company and get it straightened out.
We asked 3 times if our room was ready ( this was a Tuesday in June ) and until I asked for a Manager I just got a run around. Most hotels check you in early with no issue if they have rooms available. The front desk staff were not friendly and had a lackadaisical attitude. As they are usually the first hotel you see I found this shocking for a resort this size.
Food is just okay and this is a family resort I do not think I would choose it for a business meeting or couples getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!