4,910 results
All reviewsdolphin experiencemain poolbeach grillsunset villagetranquility poolocean restaurantkids clubsalt water lagoonfire pitswimming with the dolphinslagoon areaadult poolthe main hotelbedroom villakey westfamily poolsunset cruise
Reviewed May 20, 2008

DUMP! The website is totally misleading. While the hotel appeared nice, we stayed in a two story villa. It was disgusting. I complained to the management about the misleading picutures on the website and they informed me that the villas have not been renovated. No discount, nothing. The food was also terrible. Service was great, but nothing can make up for the dirty villa with no towels, to patio furniture, and threadbare sheets. I felt like I needed another shower after staying there. Could not think of a greater waste of 300 dollars. Don't stay here!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Nicky72
HawksCayResort, Signe Bjorndal, Director of Sales and Marketing at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2008

Dear guests of Hawks Cay,

We are pleased that so many of you have experienced the “new” Hawks Cay first hand and we have enjoyed all the positive feedback. In fact, ABCNews.com just called us the “Best Kept Secret in the Florida Keys”! http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/Weather/story?id=4837635&page=1

We’re beginning to hear some questions from guests about the Hawks Cay villas, and we felt it was appropriate for us to clarify the variety of options when it comes to our villa rental pool. Hawks Cay offers two classes of villas, the Preferred Villas and the Duck Key villas.

The Preferred Villas comprise a selection of properties that will be debuting in September. These two and three-bedroom villas are being completely renovated to match the quality and style of the newly upgraded hotel guestrooms. Every villa will offer a consistent upgraded product, including granite counters in the kitchens, all new furniture, flat panel TVS, and our new luxury Hawks Cay Preferred bedding package.

We are also pleased to be able to offer the Duck Key villas. These villas are currently available, and offer an ideal escape for couples, familes or small groups who are looking for a value vacation rental, but will still appreciate having access to the world class amenities of the Hawks Cay Resort, including our spectacular new family pool, our tranquility pool, our saltwater lagoon, kids club and pool and all new fitness center. All the Duck Key villas are individually owned and decorated, and therefore the interior of each Duck Key villa is different. The décor for these villas is very relaxed and comfortable, but does not offer the same consistent, upscale, new product to be found in our Preferred villas.

We are about to launch a new web site, which will more clearly differentiate the two different Villa products. Thank you for taking the time to continue to share your feedback with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hawks Cay soon.

Signe Bjorndal
Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed May 14, 2008

We booked this hotel for our wedding night. WHAT A MISTAKE! The reception/pool/restaurant area were beautiful. I don't know what the rooms look like in that main area as our room was in one of the villas off which was a bit of a drive from there. I booked the room based on the exquisite resort feeling the reception area implied.

We arrived at 1am still in our wedding attire and had to wait about 20 minutes because the attendant was working with another guest who was having trouble with his refrigerator (note: there was another attendant available, but he was apparently unavailble to help us). We got our keys and drove over the the villas. However the keys were never activated and we had to drive back to the reception area, get new keys only to find that those keys were still not activated. So at 2am (still in my wedding dress) we had to flag down a staff member who finally let us into the room after we waited outside for another 10 mintues.

We finally get into the "villa" and we were seriously let down. I was expecting a lavish villa at 300/night and I was very disappointed. Everything was wicker. The bathroom was miniature. Beds were small!! The decor was so bizarre. Like I said white wicker accented with bright frog wall art. I wish I had pictures to post.

This place might be nice for a small family, but in my opinion would still be overpriced. Everything was clean and there was a nice enough kitchenette. Still the bathroom was very small.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank islamoradabride
Reviewed May 14, 2008

My stay at Hawks Cay was awesome. Our room by the adult pool had a lenai room off of it (basically a private patio w/ our own table & sitting area) which was really nice. We could either sit around the pool or at our patio and still feel like we were "at the pool", but nicer. The room was newly renovated as was the entire resort, and had a classy yet comfortable feel. I loved the ameneties in the room, like an i-pod port w/ speaker, comfy robes and nice toiletries. I didn't want to leave! I would go back in a heartbeat, especially because one of the nicest places to see a sunset and sip a drink was just about to be finnished. I also had a great massage at the spa, which has a really quiet private pool next to it where you can hang out before or after. The spa uses pevonia products which I love too. I would highly recommend this resort for families or singles because they have so many areas, some quiet and some w/ alot of action. They have a huge pool that was full of families and kids and 2 other pools that were quiet and totally seperate from it. I think theres another kid pool with a kids camp too.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank livennj
Reviewed May 8, 2008

Really loved Hawks Cay.

Stylish, upscale resort, fantastic accommodation and lovely location.

Whilst we were there the final refurbishment touches were being made to the resort but it wasn't anything to worry about and will be brilliant when complete.

We only booked in for one night at the end of our trip to the Keys and definitely wished we had stayed longer (the whole trip in fact).

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Undertheoaks
Reviewed May 1, 2008

this review is a little late , buy i was speaking to someone regarding the keys , so maybe it's time to review .
i found this hotel thru liberty travel , and a few days later i did see the hotel on the travel station.miss brown did rate this hotel as a top fla hotel. [ i did not see it]. we booked this hotel in early july and traveled a fews weeks later.
the room was fine and the grounds were nice . we stayed in a one bedroom , but i think the two bedrooms are a lot nicer
the beach . which i think was man made , was small and the water was very still . the water was not that clean , and very small i rate the hotel beach as a 2 , 1-10.
the pool was fine , one main pool next to the beach was a nice size . there were two smaller pools near the gym . they were ok. the hotel also did serve lunch by the pool which was very good.
we traveled to a beach , not far from the hotel , the beach was no good and not very clean. a lot of sea weed. there were maybe six other people on the beach
traveling around the area ,is no big deal . not much to see . but the one thing i did like were the resturants . there were a few that were great. we also traveled to key west , one night . what can i say , if you are not drunk it's no big deal. we were traveling with two kids ,and i was driving.
the area is set up for people who have boats and who are into diving. well i dont have a boat and the kids dont dive.
well getting back to the hotel , the hotel is fine , just no big deal. i said the pink shell hotel in ft myers was ok also. the thing is , if you go as a family , mexico, punta cana are nicer, bigger , great, beaches , bigger pools , but the food is ok.
like i said this hotel is no big deal . but one family we did speak to , said they have been here six times . so what do i know. i have been traveling for 25 years , as a single , and married with no kids , and traveled with kids.
save your money and go to a better place

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
HawksCayResort, Guest Experience Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2008

Dear jack1962,
Thank you for your comments and review of your stay last year. We appreciate hearing from you. I realize that your stay with us was during the summer of last year, and lots of changes have been made since then. I thought I’d take a moment to give you an update.
Beginning in August 2007, a $35 million transformation turned Hawks Cay into a premier water-based resort unlike anything in the Florida Keys. Surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico, Hawks Cay now features 177 newly renovated guestrooms and suites, as well as 225 spacious two- and three- bedroom villas and five swimming pools, including our new resort pool with a multi-tiered sun terrace accessing our private saltwater lagoon. You had mentioned the lagoon in your email. It is fed by the rising and falling of the tides of the Atlantic Ocean, and is surrounded by sand beaches. There is a continuous flow of water, so it is always clean and fun to play in.
I also thought I’d mention that Hawks Cay features the best full-service marina in the Middle Keys, with overnight slips, world class fishing charters and boating excursions. A complete menu of water-sports, the renowned Dolphin Connection™ program, fabulous sailing school, a full service spa and fitness center, and activity clubs for kids and teens, are only the beginning…
Hawks Cay is now a member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts™, and offers premier service and fully renovated guestrooms. Great service and the best of life on the water, Hawks Cay brings cutting-edge cuisine to the Florida Keys. Our chefs have designed exciting and diverse menus to seduce your palate, no matter what you’re in the mood for. The new Rum Bar located in the main lobby is the social hub for sampling our worldwide rum collection and the view of the outdoor water/fire pit is a huge hit. The fire pit by the pool has become a great place to gather and relax after a day of lots of activities.
Sir, we certainly understand that on last year’s visit we fell short of your expectations and feel that with the huge investment in the property and staff, Hawks Cay Resort is well on its way to becoming America’s premier island resort. I would love the opportunity to speak with you at your convenience. My contact number is 305-743-7000. I look forward to hearing from you.
Wanda Whitehouse