“great time!”
Review of Hawks Cay Resort

Hawks Cay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Went there for our honeymoon. We just booked a standard king room, it was nice and cozy nothing amazing just a clean room to sleep in. The staff there were very outgoing, and from all over the U.S. and Caribbean it seemed. It is a very large resort with many amenities for everyone. We went there to rest and relax and were able to do so, but we did rent a car and were happy we did. Sombrero beach is 20 min away, and we spent 2 days there. That was fantastic!!! The salt water lagoon is nice but if you can go to Sombrero beach I would highly recommend it.
The food at the resort is pricey but decent, the alcohol prices are what were outrageous. Two glasses of wine from the bar were $27!!!!! So we went to the store and bought a cooler, breakfast, lunch, and our own alcohol.
They do not want you to bring your own alcohol down to the pool area, but we did and just got water from the bar, dumped out the water and filled the cup with our own booze ;) don't make a scene and no one will notice.
The highlights of the trip were 1. Sombrero beach and 2. the sunset cruise. We had Jason and Andy take us out and we got more than anyone (even our captains) expected. We came across a pod of dolphins!! There had to be 20 of them swimming around our boat. Some came within 10 ft of the boat. Both Jason and Andy said they have never seen that many that close. Jason and Andy were professional, and funny. I cannot say enough about them. Go on the sunset cruise.
I WILL go back again.............. BUT I think I would rather go to an island in the Caribbean, or Hawaii. I stayed in Maui for about $25 more a night, in a room with a full kitchen.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wiscpete
HawksCayResort, Director of Marketing at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear wiscpete,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback and for choosing to spend such a special occassion at Hawks Cay. We're glad that we were a part of starting off your lives together as a married couple.

You've shared some great pointers related to Sombrero Beach, a great local spot to enjoy, and the fun Sunset Cruise that departs right here from our dock. I saw some pictures of the dolphins swimming along your Sunset Cruise and it looked amazing!

We welcome guests to stock their rooms and villas with snacks, drinks and other convenience items. However, we do ask that personal food and drinks be kept away from the pool and lagoon areas due to food safety requirements and liquor license laws. Plus, we serve the best pina coladas in the Keys, and we really don't want our guests to miss out on them!

We hope to welcome you both back for a future anniversary. Congratulations and best wishes to you both.

There are newer reviews for Hawks Cay Resort

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We had a wonderful week with our grand-daughter. The highlight was her experience with the dolphins. It was expensive but worth it.The proceeds go back into maintaining a wonderful facility for the dolphins. They do an excellent job educating the guests with signs around the enclosure. Unfortunately there is not a beach but there is a large saltwater pond, where my husband was able to swim laps, until the kayaks and paddleboards came out. None of the three pools are designed for lap swimming. One pool is for 18 and over, the others were filled with young children. The hot tubs were also often crowded with children. We had read that the food was average and expensive, so we chose to eat at different restaurants in Marathon. Fortunately there is a starbucks in the hotel shop, as the breakfast was expensive. Pancakes were 12.00! Since there is a big emphasis on children, the food should be more reasonably priced. Our island view room was disappointing. For over 400/per night, it was dark, with a view of the golf carts. I could also hear the fellow next door snoring !Housekeeping had also failed to vacuum well. We found and stepped on a number of glass shards. The villas look much nicer. Overall, we enjoyed our stay. My grand-daughter would be back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: higher floors have a better view. The rooms around the pools, on the first floor, do not have much p...
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I am reviewing the fishing character business at Hawks Cay Marina.

First of all, these guys really know how to catch fish. Go to the docks at, 4:00 PM and every boat coming in is just full of reef fish. You'll see hundreds of nice Yellow Tails. NOW HERE'S THE THING... These folks obviously cater to the Yuppie and family fishing crowd. Their rates are much higher than the average local guys.

Here's my real complaint... I had a character booked for a Monday as my son was flying in to join me on Sunday. Due to severe weather, his flight was cancelled and rebooked for Monday morning. When I called to inform them, they treated me like a criminal, or at least a liar. We did work things out in the end, but I had $1,500.00 invested in a day's fishing, and should have been treated as such.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank TonyTheTerrible

Dear TonyTheTerrible,

Thank you for taking the time to review your would-be fishing charter trip. I am so sorry that you didn't have a great experience with our team. We'd like to discuss your experience a bit further. I hope you'll contact me directly so that we can find out more and appropriately address your concerns.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We decided to extend our week long condo rental in Sanibel by booking two nights at the Hawks Cay Resort before flying home. The location was ideal, surrounded by water, and the facilities were top notch and great for kids. Here are four things to consider. (1) If you want direct beach/ocean access for swimming there is none at the resort. You are relegated to the pools or the saltwater lagoon (really a landlocked basin), which are nice. Otherwise, you have to rent a boat or watercraft to get to the ocean. (2) All bar and food purchases are subject to a 18% gratuity (except for Tio's Cantina at the Marina). While service in the restaurants was good, I felt drink service was lacking and did not deserve such a high gratuity. (3) Wireless access throughout the resort was not very good either through the resort's wireless network (free) or over the local cellular network. (4) We were there at the height of Spring Break and the facility felt crowded at times.

2  Thank StuO639

Dear StuO639,

Thank you for providing a detailed review of your time with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your overall experience, and hope we'll have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Our family of 6 stayed in one of the 3 bedroom townhomes for 3 nights. My husband and I traveled with our 10 month son, Aunt, Uncle and family friend. The townhouse was in a quiet area and furnished nicely. The water view was amazing!! Can't say enough about the grounds and pools. Everything was well maintained. One thing that stood out about Hawk's Cay is that the staff do not take themselves too seriously. Everyone I encountered was friendly and seemed to like their job. We enjoyed the pools, lagoon and many walking paths for stroller time. We look forward to returning again when our son can take advantage of the many kids activities.

4  Thank labrador11
HawksCayResort, Director of Marketing at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear labrador11,

Thank you for sharing you kind feedback and for choosing to spend your family vacation with us. We are so happy that you enjoyed yourselves. We hope to welcome you and your family back soon.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Expensive - hotel was ok but for the money we paid , I'd rather have rented a place in marathon! Hotel wireless was the worst I've ever experienced in a resort of this magnitude. Pool area is nice but pool food is too pricey. We brought our own food in from the local supermarket & you would have thougt we were stealing from them, the looks we got... Next time if we don't rent a house we will try tranquility bay in marathon

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank tuckerkeys

Dear tuckerkeys,

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that we were not able to exceed your expectations and am disappointed to hear your comments about any of our team members giving you "looks" for bringing in food from local supermarkets. While we do not to allow outside food and drinks in our pool and lagoon areas due to food safety and liquor licensing laws, we welcome guests to stock their rooms and villa kitchens with food from wherever they might choose. There is no excuse for any of our team making you feel otherwise, and I apologize for that.

We hope that we'll have the opportunity to host you again in the future and earn your loyalty.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Just got back from Hawks Cay. Found the townhouse nice & the diving group real professional. However- Friday a rowdie group checked inland took over our area of villas with their loud music blaring & all day BBQs on the beach both Friday & Saturday. This was really frustrating as it was not possible to sit in the deck and enjoy the sun, sea breeze & view while dining due to these ignorant people. On Friday their party was fom 12 noon til 9PM. On Saturday they started again at 12, noon and by 4 PM not only the music was loud, they were as well. At that point, I called guest services and was tod Sorry there was nothing they could do - quiet time is 10PM. This is a luxury resort and cost about 900+ a day avg. Unbelievable that they don't put a stop to loud obnoxious behavior that impacts their reasonable, well behaved guest. I would not recommend Hawks Cay if you want peace & quiet. For whatever reason, they allow really loud, obnoxious parties to take place. Had we not been checking out early Sunday morning we would have left the resort and found somewhere else to stay!

4  Thank Tara G

Dear Tara G,

Thank you for sharing feedback online. I hope that you will contact me directly so that we can address your concerns appropriately both with you and with our team.

I apologize for the disruptions you experienced during your stay with us this weekend. It is always our goal to insure that all of our guests' expectations are exceeded, and I'm so sorry that we weren't able to do so for you this time.

While we do our best to provide an atmosphere where each guest, no matter what level of excitement or relaxation they would like, can find the perfect niche; this past weekend we had a nearly full resort due to the start of Easter Week/ Spring Break school holidays. During time periods such as these with a resort full of energetic, happy families, peace and quiet is not always a constant throughout our 60 acres.

I do hope to have the opportunity to communicate with you directly and hopefully host you at the resort during a time period that will provide you with the tranquility you would like.

Thank you, again, for your feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Duck Key
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
Cheeca Lodge & Spa
Cheeca Lodge & Spa
#7 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!