Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“nice peaceful time in slow paced keys”
Review of Hawks Cay Resort

Hawks Cay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This resort is beautiful and although very big, easy to navigate. We enjoyed our stay here although it was cut short by a few days. Arrival was very nice and reception was very helpful in helping us select our accommodations.

The rooms were very clean and well appointed, recently remodeled. The pool service was awesome and there were various activities for the kids.

I went on a fishing charter with the I'm Hooked and although the weather did not help us, Captain Joel was very attentive and an excellent professional guide and fisherman.

The food in the upscale restaurant, Alma's, was fantastic.

We will definitely return

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 13, 2013

The hotel is very old and you can hear EVERYTHING from the surrounding hotel rooms- showering, using the restroom, flushing. Its very, very noisy. We didn't sleep for 3 days. I've been in loud hotels before but this was by far the worst. We talked to other guests and they said they were having the same experience.
The entrance hall and outside areas are gorgeous, but they don't make up for the extreme noise.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Decided to spend 5 days over Christmas at Hawks Cay with my parents and 11 year old daughter. Ended up we had another family which were friends of our staying 3 doors down in the villas from us. Was perfect! We brought a boat down with us which we kept right outside our villa along with our paddle board. Felt like home as soon as we arrived and got settled in. Beautiful views from all bedrooms with lovely grounds around the resort. Kids club was fantastic for all ages of kids both families had with us. We could allow the kids to bike and roam all over the resort til about midnight and didn't worry at all. While there we used their Scuba shop and went on a dive trip as well as an offshore fishing trip. Everyone we worked with at the Marina were wonderful! My only complaint is that I wish they had a larger pool and bay area with more seating for the amount of people there. All of us had a fantastic trip and will hopefully do again next Christmas!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

We really liked the resort and the amenities. The room was large but noisy with machine noise coming from somewhere. Quite annoying . Other than that it was a great stay albeit expensive . The pools are great. There are plenty of things to do around.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank GlobalguyOttawa
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I joined Preferred Hotel Group and was upgraded to a magnificent 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom, 3 balcony town house. Also, paying by Mastercard got us the 4th night free!!! No complaints. Great resort!! The new restaurant, Ocean, was delicious and the entertainment every night by the pool is perfect!!

Room Tip: Join Preferred hotel group for free!! They are very accommodating at the front desk! The Marina is...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We recently stayed in the Harbor Village in a 2 bdrm 3 bath townhouse. We knew there was going to be a daybed but expected it to be in the living room, nice surprise to have it in a separate room. Basically it was a 3 bdrm 3 bath house. The unit was HUGE! Big decks with furniture on both levels overlooking the water. Lots of wildlife here which we loved. We saw a manatee right in front of our "house". Tons of birds and iguanas too. They have a lovely shuttle which takes you wherever you want to go on the property and the wait time is usually short. We used it to go to the marina to grab a dive boat as well as get some groceries from the market! I was lucky enough to use the spa on site when I was there. It's fantastic!! Head to toe treatments available. I had a facial and the morrocan hair mask, wonderful! The lagoon beach area overlooked the dolphin pool. Great to tan while watching them play. A few restaurants and bars to choose from as well as great service. What else do you need, nothing! Would go back in a heartbeat!!

Room Tip: 7090 closest unit to the main building on the water. Corner unit!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed in the Marina Villas. Our "condo" was spacious, clean, and perfect for my family of 4. We had a 2 bedroom (king and queen bed), 2 bath that had a full kitchen, dining room, great room and a wrap around screen porch that went from the master around the great room and to the other bedroom over looking the Marina. There is a washer and dryer off the 2nd bathroom which came in handy. We were told they had no king size beds before we went which I thought was odd and originally had a Sunset Villa but then changed once we got there.
The villa didn't come with any coffee or filters. I had also read this before we went. Some how they need to stock a few disposable coffee filters with coffee in the villas. They do in the main hotel.I ran to the Publix the night we got there and stocked up but the filters only came in packs of 250. Very wasteful.They have 2 things of paper towels but they didn't seem to have enough toilet paper as we ran out our last day. We got there late Monday night and left Friday afternoon.
If you stay in a villa I suggest you go to the store and get all your breakfast stuff and snacks and drinks since it will save you a ton.
The food at the resort was good but way over priced which I also read before. We found some great little places to eat and enjoyed them with a better price tag. The only place my husband and I ate was between the adult pool and the main pool on the beach in front of the bar, great view and the fish taco's I had were good and my husband enjoyed his fish sandwich. Just wasn't worth the $60 fee that came with it and that was with a diet coke, rum drink, and a virgin frozen drink that my daughter got.
The people who worked there were all very pleasant and nice. The kids club has lots of fun activites for all ages. There was ping pong outside on the deck, air hockey inside along with Wii games. Outside there was a huge turf field for throwing football or playing soccer, there is a sand volleyball court and a "mini" water park boat that you can slide off of.
We signed up for the swim with the dolphins. It's very misleading since you really don't swim with them. You do get in the water for a brief minute with them as they came "stand" with you as you touch their fins. You are basically standing on a platform as they come up to you for you to touch certain parts of their body. It was still a fun experience but not worth the $160+ a person. It was my daughters b'day that day so I felt inclined to do so. Wish I would have researched it better. There are other swim with the dolphin places in the Keys and one just down the road, not sure what they do but it's worth the research.
The resort was very kid friendly and the staff was also friendly.
I would suggest grabbing food at Key Fisheries(great sunset location)They had the best Key Lime Pie, Sparky's Landing (best happy hour 4-6; 25cent shrimp) and Brutus (closes at 7).All 3 had very fresh fish and great staff. They are all located in Marathan. Sparky's will cook the fish you caught for a nominal fee.
We went fishing but didn't go through the hotel as they double the price. Check out Angler Management Charters (capt Jim Griffith).He keeps his boat as The Island Fish Company- restuarant on Marathon but the food is hit or miss. We caught tons of fish and just went for a 1/2 day. Sent friends the following day and they caught a ton too. We went in shore since it was very windy when we went.

Room Tip: The villas are pretty quiet. We chose a top floor which had high ceilings. The only thing you can he...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
Cheeca Lodge & Spa
Cheeca Lodge & Spa
#7 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!