“Pretty location, but an average experience” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hawks Cay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Miami Beach
“Pretty location, but an average experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

I decided to spend my birthday at the Hawks Cay resort in Duck Key, which is a short 2-hour drive from my home in Miami Beach. I had read good reviews about the resort and was very much looking forward to enjoying my time there. Overall, the stay was okay -- I was only there one night -- but I think they can do better.

The best thing about the resort is the giant fire pit. We thoroughly enjoyed being able to recline in comfortable chairs around the fire pit, cocktail in hand. The live band was an added bonus, although I suspect that they don't know songs from bands other than The Counting Crows and Sublime. I was disappointed that the lounge and the music end at 10pm. It felt early for the night to come to an end.

Our experience checking in was frustrating. Having made the reservation through an online travel agency, I thought I knew exactly which room I would receive. The front desk, though, gave us a very different room, which required two phone calls and another visit to the front desk to rectify. The room we ended up with was fine -- standard king bed and a view of the parking lot -- but the bathrooms are clearly an afterthought. Industrial and functional, there is nothing comfortable about the two-room bathroom (with no privacy door, oddly). The bathroom doesn't make or break the room, but storing towels in the closet is strange.

The staff at the hotel is very friendly, and the facilities are clean. Admittedly I didn't check out the fitness center or spa, or the restaurants on the property. With the cost of the hotel room and the inexplicable resort fee, I didn't feel compelled to eat at either of the two early-hour restaurants. By the way, closing the kitchen at 9pm on a Saturday night is not a great way to encourage young professionals, singles, or childless couples to visit the resort.

Overall, the experience was okay. We made the best of it, but I don't think I'll be returning.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
djoseph_hcr, Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Dear MiaBchGal,

Thank you for choosing Hawks Cay and sharing your experience with us. Happy belated birthday. You are right our fire pit is one of the best ways I can think of to end and reflect on the days events and live music in the background enhances this experience. I am surprised to hear that the $25 resort fee was not clearly communicated to you. We work to thoroughly outline this information on our website, as well as to third party websites that sell Hawks Cay accommodations. Unfortunately, we cannot always control the information communicated through third part sites. I hope that you will contact me to let me know the website used to book your accommodations so that we can attempt to correct this omission. Our resort fee covers self and valet parking, wireless Internet, use of Indies Club and Fitness Center, as well as gratuities for all guest services, valet, housekeeping and bell stand associates.

I cannot apologize enough for the issue encountered with your original room, but I am happy to hear that we were able to relocate you to a more suitable room. I will ensure that our Resort Manager and Front Desk teams have an opportunity to review your comments so that they can be appropriately addressed here at the resort. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back again and earn your loyalty.

dominique.joseph@hawkscay.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,103)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

Good points were - nice hotel building and pool, had good fun in marina area on kayaks, coffee from the bar nice too, fitness centre good; lovely location
Bad points - condition of villa awful - 1 star at best. filthy bathrooms, incredibly dusty in any areas not immediately within eyesight, 8 cracked tiles on kitchen floor, dirty fence on veranda, ant infestation inside the dishwasher, poorly lit in bedrooms and ludicrously high beds

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
montz
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

After reading past reviews on this resort I booked a weekend stay.on my first night no wash cloths are bathtowels 3 request where called in and no towels.till 930am second day.went down to front desk and was told manager would respond to my complaint.well here I sit four days later after I emailed the main office and haven't received a response yet. As for the Jr suit I booked it had stained carpet,a outdated bathroom that u had to turn sideways to fit in,not to mention the old rusted metal tub and white ceramic tile.everything there was so over rated.and over priced. Was told unit was waterfront view. Palm trees covered the outside balcony.would not recommend.

Waterford, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

Beautiful resort, great amenities, fantastic staff, gorgeous rooms....shall I go on??

Room Tip: If you're a couple wanting peacefulness, stay in the area by the Tranquility pool. It's adu...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Heyboik,

Welcome back! Hope you had a great summer since your last visit back in June. Your continued support is the best compliment we could "Ever" wish for. We are delighted to receive such high praise for our resort. Thank you for taking the time to share your happiness with us and with fellow travelers. The Tranquility Pool is missing you already. We look forward to your return.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

While the resort itself is great for adults and kids, the people that are supposed to be helpful are the total opposite.
We received an attitude from the front desk person (Kriesten) she was so rude that I had to speak to the manager to get my information. After that they both could not tell me why my bill was going to be $300 more than my receipt from their website that stated "total with fees and taxes included."
$6 beers ( miller lite), $20 burgers with fries, $10 per half hour kayak rental in the lagoon. While I spect to pay for stuff on vacation it just seemed a little overboard. Nickel and dime you to death. Most resorts include non motorized activities for free (kayaks, paddle boats, snorkel gear.)
$160 for my daughter and I to do the dolphin petting. It lasted ten minutes.
The bartender snuffed me just because I turned around to ask my 5 year old a question regarding what juijce she wanted. There was no one else there. She went to talk to a waitress that stopped by for about 7 minutes and then she came back to me.
Now the good stuff. The kids area was great (Indies Club), the people there are excellent with the kids. We left them there while we went on a sunset cruise. They made tie dye shirts and other crafts.
The band on Friday and Saturday was fantastic. The fire pit was nice at night.
The rooms were comfortable except for no water pressure and the fridge made a lot of noise.
I will honestly say that I will never stay here again, the good was overwhelmed by the bad. I could keep going but I don't want to waste more time on this place.

Room Tip: Garden views look to the parking lot canopy. No view at all.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank HermanT
Dear HermnanT,

I just wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to share your vacation experience with us. Feedback like yours is key to improving the experience we provide for all our guests. It is always our goal to exceed our guests expectations, and I am sorry that we weren’t able to do so for you. First, I would like to sincerely apologize for any preceived attitude you encountered during your stay with us. It is totally unacceptable and I will ensure that our Resort Manager has an opportunity to review your comments, so they can be addressed appropriately. I appreciate you respectfully bringing the discpreancy in price for your reservation to our attention and giving us an opportunity to correct the error. We are careful to keep our prices competitive with other resorts in the Florida Keys, I am sorry that this was a point of frustration during your stay. Thank you for expressing appreciation for our world famous Indies Club, we pride ourselves on providing a safe and fun-filled environment for all. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back again and earn your loyalty.

North Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

Just spent 2 nites in room overlooking adult pool. Very quiet, bed was VERY comfortable, room was large, bathroom large as well. Good shower pressure. Walk in closet. They offer a large pool filled with kids and a salt-water pond that is surrounded by sand/beach. The appearance itself is very relaxing. The adult pool is nice and quiet as it is sperated from kids area quite well. The harbor restaurant gets an A+ for view, but the place itself reminded me of a Ground-Round restaurant. Hardwood floor with way too much echo thus much too loud. Outside tables were ultra-nice. Menu is very limited. We got a pizza and 2 beers at poolside bar for $22. You cannot use any cash, they only accept room key/card. We walked around property and found it very well decorated and very well upkept. As others have mentioned, the nearest store of any kind is either 8 miles south or several miles north; this place is VERY isolated and the only sign on the road is "Duck Key". There is no visible reference to Hawks Cay from the main highway. We took day trip to Key West and that was 1.5 hours down and a little less comming back at night. In my opinion, this place caters to the young family with 2.3 kids. Despite all the fire-pit, pools and relaxing amenities, they are difficult to enjoy when kids are splashing in pool at 8pm and even later. One thing that was particularly nice was enjoying a cigar late at nite sitting near gazebo. VERY peaceful and relaxing.

Room Tip: Rooms 3208 up to 3216 face adult pool on 2nd floor. Even number rooms face the open water and would...
Dear Wudwork,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks and for taking the time to share your experience. I am certainly pleased to hear that you loved the décor of our newly renovated rooms. How thoughtful of you for share the highlights of your recent stay, you certainly had one of our most sought after catagory of rooms overlooking the adult Tranquility pool. I am glad you agree, that our ideal location makes day trips down to Key West easy, enjoyable and for sure a memorable escape. No passport needed! You mentioned that the nearest store is about 8 miles away, I just wanted to clarify that the closest store is actually located at our Marina and there is another called the Deep Drop Deli, within walking distance from the resort, I am sorry if this was not made clear to you. I can only imagine how gratifying it must have felt to enjoy your cigar in our gazebo surrounded by a lush tropical landscape with sweeping views of the horizon. We pride ourselves on catering to many different types of clientele, where you can do as much or "as little" as you want. I hope that we will have an opportunity to host you again in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stayed nov 6-10th. Rooms and resort were beautiful. My biggest complaint was that they nickel and dime you on everything. A resort such as this shouldn't have to do that. One thing was the computer...they charge you to print you boarding passes. The screen said it cost around $6 that went through my visa but when I looked upon return home it was $16! I was on it less than 5 minutes. Who charges for that service anymore?? Pretty sad! As others mention it is far from most restaurants not on site. You have to valet park if there is high occupancy which causes delay in getting your car. There was also a large party crowd a couple days were there which was disappointing since its marketed as a family resort. That aside, it is beautiful and our room was very nice. No complaints about service or staff. Staff at indies kids area was especially kind.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Keyslove
Dear Keyslove,

Thank you for taking the time to share a detailed account of your recent vacation. Feedback like yours is key to improving the experience we provide for all our guests. I can appreciate how frustrated you must have felt with your boarding pass experience, it is regrettable. I will ensure that our management team has an opportunity to review your comments so they can be addressed appropriately. We offer valet service as a convenience, I am sorry this was a point of frustration for you during your stay. I am thrilled to hear that you loved the resort as a whole and especially our Indies Club, which in my opinion is the best kids club around. We look forward to welcoming you back real soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Duck Key
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Village at Hawks Cay Villas by Keys Caribbean
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!