“Nice getaway” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice getaway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Went here in April 2011 for a long weekend. It was nice to lounge by the adults only pool during the day. Umbrellas were scarce though and you could not find shade unless you go to the pool early. People reserve chairs and umbrellas with towels before they go to breakfast - not cool. Like the water coolers for fresh water. Spa was great. Breakfast buffet was overpriced and slow service for beverages. Pool side service was terrible and we were ignored even when we asked for menus no one came back to take our order so we had to leave and go to the grill. Seems like a nice place for families with kids' activities. Rooms are nice and comfortable with large bathrooms. Our room overlooked the firepit with nightly entertainment. This could be a plus or a minus. We were there for strict R&R, so would have preferred not to be by the loud (bad) music. The front desk should have notified us of this prior to check-in. Otherwise some folks may like having the music outside their balcony. But why not get good local acoustic musicians instead of the terrible electric cover bands? Overall a decent place to get away for 3-4 days if you are adults-only, but not a luxury resort if that is what you are looking for.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from elevators
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bmcc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,000)
  • Polish first
Hypoluxo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I recently made a long weekend getaway to Hawks Cay for a belated B'day celebration. The Resort was absolutely beautiful and the service flawless, very kind and genuine, but relaxed which was nice as it made you feel very comfortable. We loved the fact that they have a separate pool for adults which was perfect for relaxing. On our last day we swam with Dolphins which was amazing. A great getaway and a place we would definiteyly love to go back to.

Room Tip: The villas are awesome!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

We stayed in the Sunset Villas. Very small, not that clean. No maid service. If you order room service you have to pick it up yourself in the main lobby of hotel. We were in last set of Villas on property so not convenient at all....and they still charged 18% gratuity! The best place for lunch is at the Duck Key Marina....Deep Drop Deli. In walking distance. Franks Grill in Marathon is outstanding. Fabulous food! Reservation is recommended.

• Stayed April 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank Knoll104
HawksCayResort, Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Dear Knoll104,

Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay at Hawks Cay. I'm sorry that your stay in Sunset Village did not meet expectations. I believe one of the best features of our villas is that you are able to select the location, or Village, and size of unit that works best for you. As a tip for future stays or other travelers, check out the resort map and description of each village on our website. They are all fantastic, but each has it's own benefits. Many guests prefer the Sunset Village because it has beautiful views and is in close proximity to the Marina, Indies Club, Calm Water Spa and Sunset Pool. My personal favorite is the Marina Village, because it's close to the ice cream shop!

We are pleased to provided daily trash service for each villa, as well as full housekeeping service on the fourth day of a stay in our Hawks Cay Villas. We try to communicate this as best we can via our website, reservations agents, and confirmation emails and I apologize that this was not the case for you.

I will absolutely look into the gratuity charged on the food you picked up at the hotel. While I realize this does not help to improve your recent stay, we now have delivery service for all villas with a menu that includes gourmet pizza, salads and beverages.

Great restaurant recommendations, and good tip about making reservations at Frank's. It's a small restaurant, so it fills up quickly!

Please contact me directly if I can assist you in any way. Thank you, again, for your feedback.

Ormond Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

We spent 4 nights in a villa in the Sancuary section. The villa provided enough space for our family of 2 adults, 2 teens and 1 preteen. The private pool at our villa was a big hit with our kids. The kitchen was stocked with all we needed to occasionally eat at our villa. The property was beautiful. The large resort pool and lagoon were very nice. We rented bikes and explored the key. At $10 for 2 hours, the price was fair. The prices at the marina were very high. We ended up going to Curry Hammock State Park, about 5 miles away, and renting kayaks. The price and scenery were superior to what was offered at Hawks Cay. We were disappointed by the drink service at the resort pool. It was very slow. We we also disappointed that the resort did not seem to recycle. We ended up taking our recycling to the transfer station a few miles away. All in all, I would recommend this resort, ane we are likely to return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank 2j2l1s
Greenacres, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

BEWARE! BEWARE! I booked it online on bookit.com which is the best place you can book a hotel best prices hands down. I saw pics and was excited we get to the hotel and it looked so magical, wonderful ambiance that I cannot argue about!! However first mistake, I went there half an hour early to check in and they couldn't find me in the system they asked me three times if I'm sure I booked it for this hotel and do I have a confirmation #. Well, Well Well good thing I printed out my receipt from my computer otherwise I would be toasted. So after they looked and looked and saw that it said I was booked they still couldn't find me so I was frustrated at that time. The lady told me to call bookit and see if they can fax something over. I was irate and said what will they need to fax over since I have confirmation right here. So after about 45 minutes she says she found me, when asked why they couldn't locate me and whose fault is this ,she kind of brushed me off and said our reservation dept found it it's because they didn't pushed it through the system yet since it wasn't my time to check in yet. Yes go figure! God forbid I come 30 minutes earlier to check in into MY hotel that I paid for. Between that fiasco I notice a little sign that says they need to hold $ 200 each day of the guests' stay for incidental fees and it will be taken off when checking out. I was furious I SAID what?!!! after all of this money I paid for this hotel now they want to charge 200/per day??!!! Clerk reassured me that they do not take it out they only hold it and it will not be taken out of my bank. So I paid 920$ for 5 days of stay now I have to pay an extra 200x 5 for incidental fee so you do the math!!!?? Yes $1000 extra for a trip 3 hrs away from my house!!!???? So I trusted her word about it's just an authorization hold and it will not be taken out of my acct.. well well well big mistake! I have chase and that $1000 was taken out my acct right away so hold authorization my butt!!!! SO $ 1,920.00 later we finally go in the room and it's pretty nice and comfy but definitely not worth my 1920$ I mean this is no Ritz Carlton... plus don't even get me started about the price of the food and their so called cocktails... Me and my husband only ordered breakfast once, 3 little pancakes and 3 croissant and price came up to $35!!!! Plus don't let me forget about $25/day automatic fee for valet parking and gratuity plus you still need to tip anyways what a joke!!! OMG i'm still getting so pissed about this nightmare...so now 3 days later guess what?? their so called "authorization hold" has finally been put back into my acct. Besides that this is a nice resort from inside out but their price is just ridiculous plus when I booked THEY never told me about their hidden 200$ fees bc if I knew I WOULD NEVER stay there. I'm writing to their headquarter as soon as I'm finish with this review!!!!! :-(

4 Thank canadianhaitian
HawksCayResort, Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Dear candianhaitian,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback on your recent stay. I can tell how upset you are, and I truly apologize for the frustrations you encountered from what sounds like was a series of miscommunications.

I am, first of all, very glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and the Resort property. I hope that despite the issues described you still were able to relax and have fun during your stay.

I will be sure that we review the listings for Hawks Cay Resort on Bookit. As you can imagine, there are hundreds of online resources for booking travel these days, and since we don't typically have control over these third party sites, we do sometimes encounter issues with what is communicated via third party booking processes. At Hawks Cay, we offer a best price gaurantee, and this offers guests away to ensure that they are receiving exactly what is described and advertised. I hope that you'll contact me directly to let me know what name your reservation was under so that I can research and address your stay a bit further.

Regarding the $200 authorization that is required upon checkin, unfortunately the associate that explained this to you was only half right. I am so sorry that this error caused so much frustration. When guests use a credit card upon check-in, a $200 / day authorization is placed on this card. In the case of a credit card, this is only an authorization, not an actual charge. This is a common practice for resorts, allowing guests to charge all dining, activities and shopping done on our 60-acre resort directly to their room (reducing the need to carry cash or credit cards with you everywhere). When a debit card is used upon check-in (as it sounds like was the case with you) a $200 hold is placed directly on your bank account. Typically our associates should explain this very clearly, along with having the guest initial paperwork explaining as such, and I apologize that this was not done for you. If the $200 / day is not spent by the guest, we release the hold and it typically takes the bank 3-5 days to reflect the release of funds. Hopefully, at this point your bank account already shows any funds that were released; and I am so sorry that this was such a source of confusion and frustration.

One more point of clarification I'd like to make is regarding our $25/day daily resort fee. Again, we do our best to make this clear to our guests, but third party websites and booking agents aren't always able to be as clear prior to your arrival. The daily resort fee is meant to cover gratuity for all guest services and housekeeping associates (including bellmen and valet), all parking (self and valet), unlimited wireless interet access, unlimited access to the fitness club and the Indies Recreation Club. We try to eliminate the need for gratuity at most of our resort outlets by building an 18% gratuity into each food and beverage check (though you can raise or lower this amount on your check as you see fit). Again, I apologize that this was not well communicated.

I hope that you will contact me directly so that we can further research and address the issues you encountered. We work very hard to provide an exceptional experience and we unfortunately did not do so for you. We would welcome the opportunity to host you again and provide you with the experience that you deserve.

Thank you, again, for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

los angeles, ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

If you don't mind loud piped-in rock style music everywhere, including the "tranquility pool", lobby, corridors, etc., then this place has much to offer. Our standard room was spacious and well-appointed. Good beds, linens not as plush as Hilton or Westin but still pretty soft. I'm not sure how previous reviewers got upgraded rooms, but we were not offered one. The landscaping is lush and lovely, no ocean swimming, lagoon was brackish but good for kids. Pool was not heated and a bit chilly. I wood rate this hotel as 3 to 3 1/2 stars because of the loud music, the kids running up and down the corridors at night playing basketball, unheated pool, and no ocean swimming facility. The pool bar food was o.k. Staff was very polite and friendly, and since guests are asked not to tip them, hopefully the mgt. compensates for lost income. Wifi was pretty good, slow at some times of the day. We had a lovely day trip to Bahia Honda state park which has great ocean swimming.

Room Tip: we didn't
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank anon03
Dear anon03,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay with us. I'm glad that you found our team to be so friendly and that you enjoyed exploring the Keys. You're right, Bahia Honda State Park is a real gem and driving over the 7-Mile Bridge to get there is an experience that everyone should have.

I have to say I was surprised to hear your comments about the music at the resort. We work to create music styles and levels appropriate to each area and time of day throughout the resort, and this typically includes regional styles of music such as reggae, Carribbean, Latin and Buffett-style music. Loud piped-in rock music isn't a way that I've ever heard it described. I'll definitely work with our team to review the music volume and style that is currently played throughout the resort.

One other small note, all of our pools are heated to a minimum of 82 degrees and I would imagine with the June warm weather and sunshine, the temperature is higher than that. Also, our Saltwater Lagoon is fed straight from the ocean providing a beach-like experience in an area that is not known for having vast beach areas (a little known fact about the Florida Keys).

I hope that we'll have the opportunity to host you again in the future and provide you with an exceptional experience.

League City, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

I was getting worried after reading all the negative comments on here, but it's obvious some people just like to complain and will never be satisfied. All the staff are very friendly and accommodating, the hotel is beautiful, we stayed in a standard room, it was very nice and clean, nice to have invisible people come in and clean it and in the evening to make your bed ready for bedtime. Valet parking included. The food and drinks are very expensive at the resort, but in nearby Marathon there is a Mc Donaldson, Ihop, etc. There are wonderful beaches within 30 min drive, like Sombrero beach and Bahia Honda, the we would finish the day off at the hotel's pool and lagoon. I guess the complainers don't want to leave the resort at all? Someone even complains about the fitted sheets not being fitted, seriously? Did that ruin your vacation? We didn't want to leave and will be back.

Room Tip: Become a member of Iprefer and get special offers
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank monitx
Dear monitx,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hawks Cay and for sharing feedback from your trip. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us so thoroughly.

You provided a couple of great tips in your comments: 1) becoming an iPrefer member will provide you with special offers not only at Hawks Cay but at other Preferred Hotels 2) there is so much to explore in the Florida Keys. Hawks Cay is the perfect jumping off point for exploration up and down the Keys as we are located right in the center of the island chain. While you could find enough to do on our 60 acre resort to keep you occupied for weeks, the Florida Keys offer some of the most stunning and unique sight-seeing opportunities and activities in the US.

We'll see you next time! Please let me know when you begin to plan your next visit.

Sincerley,
Village at Hawks Cay Villas by Keys Caribbean
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!