“you get to touch then from the dock”
Review of Dolphin Connection

Dolphin Connection
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Duck Key
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Do the dockside program instead of the "Swim" program. They are essentially the same, except for the swim version you stand in chest deep water. You do not get to swim at all with the "Swim with the dolphins" program. Same length of time interacting with the dolphins, longer introduction and you get to put on and take off damp shorty wet suits to stand in the water. Save some money and stay dry on the dock.

There are newer reviews for Dolphin Connection

Reviewed March 23, 2014

While it's expensive, they really do a great job and you get a lot of hands-on time with the dolphins. We have done it at Sea World before and this was better (and slightly less expensive).

Reviewed March 10, 2014

The dolphin experience was super. The trainers are passionate and obviously take great care of the dolphins. I've wanted to swim with dolphins since I was a child. However, the cost was ridiculous. $350 for two people for 45 minutes, and then $100 for pictures.

1  Thank Rick S
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Very brief, very limited, on the expensive side, but very fun up close and personal encounter with dolphins. I was hoping for more of a 'swimming' experience, but this was more just touching, brief swim and 'handshaking' and seeing up close these amazing, intelligent, mammals.

Water time with the dolphins was less than 30 minutes. They do not allow personal cameras in the water - 'for the safety of the dolphins' - but they were happy to sell you, at premium price, images their onsite photographer captured. With a good zoom lens, a friend or family member could stand back on the deck and get images for you for free. (Take turns going in for the 'encounter.')

My wife wears contacts and there was no problem with splashing water or other dunking that would cause the loss of her lenses. (No need for goggles.) This also highlights the limited nature of the encounter.

When my mom saw our image she asked "I wonder if Flipper really enjoyed the ordeal, err, EXPERIENCE?????"

My reply, "Actually, yes, the dolphins were having fun - yes, you can tell. I remember taking the kids to the circus - once - and you could tell that the animals (the elephants, the lions, etc.) were not happy. They were miserable; you could see it in their eyes, their body language. Never, never, never again would I go to a circus.

This was different. You could look these very intelligent mammals in the eye, you could read their body language, you can discern the 'happy' sounds they were making. Yes, these dolphins really were enjoying the experience. Were this not so, I would be the first to speak up and speak out against such activities.

For a chance to get up close and personal with dolphins, I would recommend this experience.

1  Thank Timothy1098
Reviewed February 26, 2014

My sister and I truly enjoyed the Dolphin Discovery program! The staff shared lots of great information about dolphins in general and about the dolphins in their program. Our only complaint was that the time we actually spent in the water with the dolphins was pretty short for the price, but then this was our first experience, so that might be the standard time.