“No partial gulf view, poor service, Disgusting stains-Clean it up!”
Review of SummerPlace Inn

SummerPlace Inn
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Mineola, Texas, United States
“No partial gulf view, poor service, Disgusting stains-Clean it up!”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

When I found this place on Travelocity I thought I found a great deal. I called the hotel and spoke to Divi to make sure they got the reservation and to make sure I got the King size bed and NOT the queen because my hubby and I can NOT sleep together in a queen b/c we toss and turn so much. When we arrived at the hotel, Christy, at the front desk informed us that we were assigned 2 queens. Of course I was very upset. This was our anniversary trip and we weren't going to be able to sleep together. My husband mentioned tripadvisor and she quickly changed her tune because it was advertised EVERYWHERE that they were 2013 tripadvisor Excellence of the Year...How I don't know? She said they were booked for they evening, but they could get us into a King the next evening. My husband then asked if we got the Partial Gulf View (balcony)-the whole reason I booked this hotel---which again which is what we were promised when I spoke to Divi the day I booked. She said that they can't make such a promise.

We went up to Room 217, and found nasty stains on the window curtains and stains on the door curtains leading out to the balcony. There was also mildew in the bathroom shower above the showerhead. I would love to show pictures of these allegations, but when I uploaded my camera to my PC Kodak Easy Share froze and deleted 1/2 of my pictures from my vacation. Luckily, I still have one of the pictures from the lampshades from one of the two rooms and the video from both balconies.

After the first night, we were moved to Room 221 again we found stains on the window curtains and on the curtains leading to the balcony.

Not everything from this hotel was horrible. There was one person that was extremely helpful, Meagan. I hurt my foot at the Track next door. She gave me wonderful advice on how to bandage it so that I still may be able to enjoy walking on the beach. I am so thankful for her. Also, even though Christy was rude the first day I believe it was just a matter of her being upset at Divi for making promises that couldn't be kept. Divi should have kept her word and made sure to follow through or not to have said anything at all or nothing would have happened in the first place. Christy was very sweet and sincere after the first day. She was very helpful in helping us find a beach venue and was constantly asking me about my foot.
We will not be back to Summerplace Inn. We will probably stay at one of the place across the street next year. They are building a Hampton Inn. I'm sure they will have a much better view.

Room Tip: Do not get Room 217 or 221 if you want a partial gulf view. I can not get the videos to upload unfo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank April M
Jenny L, General Manager at SummerPlace Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at our property. Unfortunately when we have a guest book through a third party site such as Travelocity. There policy states that when booking a room you are guaranteed a standard room. A standard room consist of either a king size traditional room with a pull out sleeper sofa or a double queen traditional room. You may request a king room or a double queen room however it is a request and not guaranteed. In addition we cannot guarantee a partial gulf view room. Simply because we do not want to offer the guest something we cannot deliver on. Although we are not beach front property we do have some Balcony suites that do offer a partial gulf view, but the availability depends on if the room is previously occupied or not. Which may have been the case in your situation. However when booking directly through the Hotel we are able to guarantee your specific requested room type. Also we may not be able to guarantee a partial gulf view, but we are able to pre-assign the room to try our best to accommodate your request. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience with our front desk staff members Megan and Cristy. We hope that your foot has healed well since your last visit. In regards to the cleanliness of the rooms. I would like to personally apologize if you felt that they were not up to standard. If you ever make your way back to Destin our hope is that you will reconsider us for your lodging needs. I would like to extend a complimentary one night stay in one of our suites. I believe that we can rectify the issues you had and our hope is to meet all of your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed 3 nights and enjoyed this well located, clean, friendly hotel. We left very early this morning before complimentary breakfast was available but was offered coffee by staff. Our room was upgraded to a room with a balcony and a great view of the Gulf.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ArrowPilot
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay in Destin Fl. Just a few minutes from the beach and dinning. Outstanding guest services, staff was very friendly and helpful. Will highly recommend SummerPlace Inn to my family and friends.

• Stayed June 2013
Louisiana
Reviewed June 6, 2013

It is difficult to find a good place to stay for a day or two at a reasonable rate in Destin in the summer. The condo fees for cleaning and other fees add up, so this is a good choice. I liked it over the Holiday Inn. Not on the beach but the state park is close as are other access points. WARNING 2 hours in the sun here can burn you.

• Stayed June 2013
mistellelangen, General Manager at SummerPlace Inn, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about SummerPlace Inn. We pride ourselves on offering more than the other select service hotels in Destin (such as the Holiday Inn Express) and a higher quality of service as one should and would expect when visiting Destin in the summer season. Thank you also for sharing some great advice to future guests in the area - as a vacation spent burnt - can be a truly miserable experience. We remind all of our guests - USE SUNSCREEN! This guests advice is one we share as well! Again, thank you for sharing about your experience here at SummerPlace Inn and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Alabama
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Our stay was great the staff was so nice & helpful, this is our 2nd timeits on a busy street but its near were everything is located in walking distance. To get a better view of the Beach stay on the 4th floor facing in front, you will get to see all the whats happening outside. but you will have to walk to the beach, you just have to cross the Emerald coast & its busy. but its worth it. I also like the inside & outside pool & breakfast. I would stay again.

Room Tip: stay on 4th floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
First I would like to thank you for being a return guest to SummerPlace Inn. We know we are doing our best when our guests come back to the hotel for a return visit! Thank you also for taking the time to write a review about your experiences here at SummerPlace Inn. Please know if you contact the hotel directly and notify us of your room placement preference, we will do our best to honor such requests based on room availability at the time. Again, thank you for being a loyal guest to us and we look forward to taking great care of you again soon!

Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Overall, this was a very impressive property in Destin.

The bed was firm but comfy with really good pillows. Bathroom had a great shower.

Breakfast served our purpose with adequate choices including eggs, sausages, variety of cereals, waffle machine & plenty of fresh fruit.

Sadly, we had only a one night stay. If circumstances allowed, we would have stayed here for a longer period.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We are so pleased that you were impressed with your stay at SummerPlace Inn. I am very happy to hear of your satisfaction with our bedding and pillows. We just changed out all of our pillows in the hotel - now offering two different types of pillows in every guest room - and we hope all of our guests find these new pillows as enjoyable as you. We hope that if you have the opportunity to return to Destin that we are able to offer you great service and comfort on your stay as well! Thank you for taking the time to share about experience with us!

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We booked via Travelocity and so I wasn't expecting a room with a balcony or a high level floor. We were facing the back. No complaints. The room was very clean and modern. Our fridge wasn't working but the front desk was right on it, and by the time we returned an hour or so later, it was up and running properly. The beds and pillows were comfy and the staff was really nice. It's close to everything and you can walk to the beach. The free breakfast was nothing to get excited about but I'd stay here again, definitely.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a balcony room because you won't really get a view of the beach, if that...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kat N
Thank you for sharing about your experience at SummerPlace Inn. The greatest compliment is when guests share that they will be back to stay with us again. Please know that if we have rooms available - we are always happy to place our guests with their preferred views. On your next visit - please let us know in advance if you do prefer a room facing front so that we can make a notation and try to accommodate that request :)