“pricey but nice place”

Ranked #3 of 55 Specialty Lodging in Destin
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
“pricey but nice place”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We were amazed at the price. It was a great site with great amenities but the price is high. People at the desk were great. We didn't use much since we were traveling, but we paid the price because we needed to sleep. If you dont mind paying big bucks its a great place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DonnaJ43059
PatrickONeill, Manager at Camp Gulf, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Yes, we are one of the ONLY places that has not sold out to the condos. We are not going to either! It is more costly to be on the beach (for so many reasons). Come back so you can enjoy all we have to offer, we appreciate the your overnight business though that is not what we are all about. Travel Safe!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We spent a week at camp gulf and had a lovely time. This RV resort has many excellent features and some that disappoint.

We arrived at the front office and were escorted through the security gate to our site. Assistance was provided backing in, a definite relief. The roads are narrow. The sites are small, close together and near the road. Figure in vehicles parked along the way and it becomes a nightmare. After we were settled, I took a short walk to the gift shop in the activity center, quickly checked in, and was given a park overview and a comprehensive, attractive brochure.

The pads are level. Full hookups include water, electric, sewer, cable television and wireless internet. Sleep quality was quite good. Considering all the sites so close together, it was quiet at night. We had one of the upper park sites between the north pool and lavatory/laundry. The sites in the upper park offer shade. Once you go beyond the activity center there is very little to absolutely no shade. On the other hand, the taller RVs could have a problem in the upper park backing in due to low hanging branches.

Lavatories/bath houses are unisex, older but very clean. Each separate room has a lavatory, sink and shower. The piped in music is annoying. The laundry is located in bath house #2, in the upper park. It has several washers and dryers and, like the rest of the park, is very clean. Pools are on the small side but pleasant and well kept.

The location is excellent. Camp Gulf has its own fantastic sandy beach. The RV park is located near grocery stores, restaurants and shops including a huge outlet mall.

Camp Gulf has many fine features and several that were problematic for us. We were impressed by the friendly staff, amenities, cleanliness, security and gorgeous beach. We found the sites too small, close together and near the narrow road that runs through the park. They were challenge to enter and exit even with assistance. Our neighbors spent $1,800.00 at a local business due to damage to their awning and roof while being guided into their site by Camp Gulf staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank debbyanne
Munford, Tennessee
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We love this place. Friendly staff, great sites, and where else can you park your RV on the beach. We plan on making this an annual trip. The showers were great too so much better than taking one in the RV.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Clay B
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Reviewed November 7, 2013

If you need or want wi-fi service, this is not the place you want to go to. We were there a week and the staff did nothing to get the wi-fi operating. Their web site states that there is wi-fi in the park, not so when we were there. Don't count on Camp Gulf to correct there problems. We will not be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Steve173000
Kings Mills, Ohio, United States
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Camp Gulf was everything I hoped it would be, and I had high expectations. Our site was perfect with just enough shade, but still an easy walk to the beach. Loved the bathhouse with its individual private rooms. The whole place was well tended and the staff was great. It's also in a great location. We will definitely return!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sharon G
Covington, Louisiana
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My wife and I took the maiden voyage with our new Airstream 27ft Flying Cloud to Camp Gulf in Destin. Before booking I read all trip advisor reviews and paid particular attention to the negative reviews. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I have mine to share.

In short, this place is "Utterly Cool"!

Upon arrival we were met at the front gate by Jimmy and he expertly guided us to our designated site. Jimmy was most helpful in assisting me with back-in and hook-up. After getting everything settled, I then took time to explore the camp groud.

The first thing I noticed was that the camp ground itself was impeccably maintained and absolutely spotless. During our week-long stay you would constantly see workers cleaning the common areas, cutting grass, picking up trash, etc. The bath houses were cleaned regularly and, despite the large number of campers on-site, were always clean during my use. Hot water was abundant for showers. The bath houses are all air-conditioned, well ventilated and stratigically located through-out the camp site sections.

The camp gound itself is divided into three sections. One section is directly on the Gulf---yes, that's right, DIRECTLY on the Gulf! What a view (I hope to stay in one of these sites next time). Another section is desginated as the "beach" section and is very close to the Gulf. We stayed in the "upper park" section which is tree-lined, shady and very quiet. It was just a short and pleasant walk to the beach from our site.

The negative reviews about the staff's attitude is puzzling to me. During my stay, I found the entire staff over-whelmingly accomodating and helpful. To name a few, Jimmy (park patrol), Pam at the front desk (Jimmy's wife), Patrick (park patrol), Mary at the front desk (Patrick's wife), and Leonard and Joe (park patrol) were the best. They all went out of their way to make our stay pleasant and more than succeeded in doing so. I enjoyed regular conversation with them all.

Regarding the negative comments on the park's rules, people should take note that the rules are there for the benefit of everyone. Most of the rules are nothing more than common sense. The park rules are a positive, not a negative, and balance the loud and active nature of kids versus the peace and quiet sometimes preferred by adults. As opposed to prior negative comments, I actually appreciated the speed limit elecctronic signs given that I jogged every day. Furthermore, kids are regularly walking about the streets. To me, it's a safety issue, and enforcement of the speed limit keeps the park safe for everyone, especially when you are towing a large travel trailer or driving large motor home in the midst of pedestrians.

Location, location, location! The location of this camp ground cannot be beaten. It's a very short dirve east to Destin, and west to Seaside or Panama City. The central location allows for easy day adventures away from the park. Large grocery stores are within a few miles.

Most importantly, the camp sites directly on the Gulf of Mexico are visually beyond belief. You can wake up in the morning looking directly at the sunrise over the Gulf from the inside of your camper. You can walk out your camper door onto the snow white sand. You can then watch the evening sunset over the Gulf from your camper. How many camp grounds can offer that as an option?

I have found in my travels that your own attitude can sometimes get in the way of a good experience. I make it a point to meet and talk to people in a nice and positive manner. In my opinion, the attitude that give to people is normally the attitude you get in return. Negative reviews aside (everyone's entitled to their own opinion), the people running this place were nothing but wonderfully nice and accomodating to us during our stay---so nice that I will call all of them my friends.

I do not hesitate to highly recommend Camp Gulf and give it 5 stars across the board. I can't imagine a more perfect place for an RV beach vacation. I will soon be back!

Room Tip: The upper section of the park is tree-lined and shady, and gives you peace and quiet. The beach and...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank samjcollettjr
Burlison, Tennessee
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I had read all the reviews and had mixed emotions about the rules and what to expect. All I can say is.... All the people that write a bad review, should go somewhere else to stay.

Wen we arrived at camp gulf, we were greeted by a nice older man and he escorted us to our site. He guided us into our site and was very helpful and even helped hook us up.

Once we were set up in our site, the checked in was easy. The ladies were very helpful and extremely nice. I rented a beach cart for money well spent. It was $5 per day and it was large enough to carry all our stuff to the beach.

We rented a car from enterprise, which picked me up at our motorhome site, which was really nice.

The bath houses are very clean and never crowded. The pools are very nice and clean. The hippo slide was a blast for the kids! They loved and gator show, and the wildlife animals that appear on Tuesdays. Face painting for the kids on Wednesday.

Everyone is very friendly there, it has a home town feel with all the campers. Wether you're in a million dollar coach or a pop up camper. Camp Gulf is a perfect place stay.

My in-laws went with us in their coach, they had some electrical issues, although the park has a rv service which fixed their problem.

We also had an issue with our coach on the road. The rv guy looked at our coach and felt it was okay to drive home. He was correct bad we made it home without a problem.

The only improvement is that it would be nice to have trash cans at each site, since the only place was a dumpster near the bath house which was always full.

We already have plans to return again for Christmas and next summer.

Stayed October 2013