“Terrible”

Ranked #3 of 56 Specialty Lodging in Destin
chickamauga
“Terrible”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

This place is ridiculous. Kids can't ride bikes once the sun starts to go down. No golf carts after dark but the rude staff can ride them around all night. You can't purchase anything in the gift shop with credit card unless you spend 30.00. The 10.00 slide ride is a total waste. The only thing they have that is good is the beach. The staff is extremely rude and not helpful at all. The dumpster is always full and overflowing. We were there 8 years ago and this was a great place. Numerous people had things stolen at night. Coolers,golf carts, floats etc. we definitely will not return.

7 Thank jbmillwork
PatrickONeill, General Manager at Camp Gulf, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Sorry your stay was not perfect. We do not allow bike or other 'wheeled' riding AFTER DARK. It is for your kids safety! It is all about the kids having fun and keeping the safe! We have very few street lights because the stars are amazing here!! kids riding around in virtual darkness is a bad idea. Yes, the staff can patrol and clean after dark with lights on their carts; it is their job. Sorry if you feel they were not friendly. The slide fee is $10 for your entire stay here. Most places that have the ($80K) Hippo Slide charge $20/day or $5/slide. We do have to cover the cost of 2 people to man the slide and the electricity and water to run it as well as the insurance cost. I will refund your $10 if you did not get at least that much fun from the 36' high 200' long ride. I hope you give us a try again some day. Pat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Bartlesville, Oklahoma, USA
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

There are some really nice parking locations if you reserve early enough - but to be within walking distance of such a beautiful beach --- WOW.

In the campgrounds there is a lot to do for kids and families. The girls loved decorating sea shells at 10:00 on Wednesday, the slide is fun and the wibbet obstacle course in the front pool was a blast.

My personal biggest "complaint" comes from my wife - there are no real toilet lids to sit on. They do have sanitary paper shields but a person needs a big butt to stay on that commode - and to wallow in urine - eww. They seemed to have cleaned the bathrooms daily around 8 or 10 so that's a big plus.

• Stayed July 2013
Yes, it is a WOW, there is nothing else like this on the beach. One of the reasons is the high maintenance requirements due to the sand and salt. The beach bath house has the easy to maintain lidless toilets with individual covers. The other 12 family style baths have regular seat flip lids. We are doing make-over on all of them this winter even though they are all relatively new. They will be decorated, painted, and we will install water conserving faucets (hands free). I am meeting with the designer friday and we will discuss this change as well. Thanks for the comment and suggestion!! Happy Camping! Pat
Fletcher, North Carolina
Reviewed July 28, 2013

When we arrived at Camp Gulf, it was pouring rain. We quickly parked our camper and headed to the activity center where we were just in time for an alligator presentation. Both our kids got to sit on a seven-foot alligator! There were great activities planned by the campground all week, and the kids really enjoyed participating in them. On Friday, the activity was a cook-out where we bought burgers, chips, and drinks for $3 each - it was a bargain, and they were delicious!

We experienced a very friendly, helpful staff. The pools were absolutely perfect - very clean and not crowded at all. The beach was amazing. We counted the steps from our campsite to the beach - 68 steps! We didn't need to rent a golf cart or anything. It was close enough to walk. The beach is worth the money and the drive (we drove 10 hours to get there).

We were so impressed and had such an amazing vacation that we will go there every year. Next year, we plan to invite our in-laws, my husband's brother, and my parents. I have never stayed somewhere so perfect for the whole family.

If I had to say something negative, I was very disappointed that I forgot to mention we were Good Sam members at check-in. That would have given us a ten-percent discount off our rather expensive stay. When I realized I forgot, I was told that it was my responsibility to ask for the discount, and they don't give any refunds. That was a bummer, but I will be certain to remember to ask for my discount next year.

Overall, we were so pleased. This is a family-friendly, fantastic place to stay. It is worth the money. We barely left the campground all week because there is so much to do. We loved it!

1 Thank holbert2934
I am glad to hear that you had a fantastic stay! That is our goal. It is a Good Sam rule about asking for the discount at reservation time but if you will send me an email I will forward you a camping credit for your next visit! Happy Camping pat@campgulf.com
Southaven
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Second year to this campground and when we arrived we were taken in the wrong way by our escort, to where my husband had to "blind side" our fifth wheel in. The escort was his guide and was motioning him in, as he watched him in his mirror. We had our grandkids in the truck and were excited to be there and gathering up things and not paying attention to them, as we have parked the fifth wheel many times before with no problems. All of sudden we heard a "crunch" stopped got out and the corner of the trailer hit our truck. My husband said "I thought you were watching for me?". When my husband told customer service manager(Mary) she stated she would get back with him. Eventually said there was nothing they could do, he said well maybe ya'll can give me a credit for next year, to make up for some of our ins deductable, at which time she laughed in his face. When you call the telephones in the office everyone that answers is short and rude. One day at the pool a lady took out some M&Ms for her kids and a man walked up and rudely said no eating at the pool. Fine but you could have been nicer about it. The only nice staff member I met there was a blond lady cleaning the bathrooms. Most other campers stated the same that staff is very rude, and just enjoy yourself and try to avoid them!!!! It was not like this when we visited here last year, which is why we returned!

3 Thank dcrn57
PatrickONeill, General Manager at Camp Gulf, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
I am glad you had a great vacation. I am sad that your stay was not perfect. We will try harder next time. I will note your reservation. Please let me know personally if I can help when you are here. In regards to your truck hitting your camper I can only advise that you get a slider hitch, and that if you have one that you extend it EVERYTIME you park! I have seen this before. We try to be hospitable and do provide assistance parking be we do not examine if your equipment is properly matched or functioning correctly. We can watch the back for you and look out for trees. Please feel free to let us know that you do not need help and you may park yourself anytime, we were just trying to help you.
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We have had a great experience at camp gulf. We are staying with 4 kids, aged 4-12 and everyone has been happy the entire time. The beach is beautiful, clean, white sugary sand with easy access. There are 2 pools, one with an obstacle course and the other with a slide. There is a playground, basketball courts, and activities planned daily. Many very friendly families! Definitely coming here again!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We traveled to Camp Gulf in July 2013, based on the location to the beach. We fully understood the numerous rules of the camp ground prior to reserving. The check in was easy and gentleman guided us to our site. Our mistake was not to request a different site, we were located right next to the pool with no shade and noise. The customer service at the gift shop and front desk is lacking, considering the amount of money it cost to to rent a site. The bath houses were dirty. The pools are great and the Hippo slide is a ton of fun. I can't give an excellent rating based on the interaction at the front, gift shop and cleanliness of bath houses.

1 Thank kim636
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed on one of the beach front sites, so the cost was around $200/night. Besides the beach front location, we were also attracted to what seemed like a decent number of activities... water slide, kids club, etc. Many of the activities cost extra. Not a lot extra, but when you are paying $200 a night for a parking site, it seems excessive at times. The bath house was really dirty... again a surprise at this price... and the laundry room stunk. On the upside, the campers around us were very friendly.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family