“This is a wonderful Resort!! Truly a slice of Paradise!!!”

Emerald Grande at HarborWalk Village
Ranked #2 of 56 Specialty Lodging in Destin
Fort Walton BCH
“This is a wonderful Resort!! Truly a slice of Paradise!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

Our family would reccommend this is the place to stay for a family reunion or any event. The Resort is beautiful and the staff is amazing! Christmas was very special for us in Destin's Emerald Grande. Hats off to the Group Sales team Vita and Lamiya for assisting us. Great Job!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Korean first
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

We are a family of 6 that stayed at the Emerald Grand for Labor Day weekend 2009. Overall it was a good time – My only complaint is that the room we got was not a great view. Before booking, my wife and I went back and forth on if we should reserve the 3 bedroom/3 bath or the 2 Bed with bonus bunk room. After looking at the website and doing the virtual tour we decided to do the 3 bedroom because the space appeared larger and the balcony appeared larger too. We used bookit.com and paid $229 per night for 3 nights ($785.07 to bookit.com and $66.60 at check in for activity fees). When we checked in the room looked like the smaller 1 and 2 bedroom layouts with the added bedrooms (3 total). The very narrow living room was small with a very big TV (odd). The larger living spaces and balcony that I saw on the web was for the corner 3 and 4 Bedroom units only. I got what was advertised on my booking – but not what I was expecting – so I was ‘Disappointed’. Our booking was for a “Water View” which we kind of had if you leaned over the railing – again – not what I was expecting.

The unit was very nice, very clean and very well appointed. I have no complaints about the room at all. All in all the Emerald Grand is a very nice place that I would visit again if given a deal on the room rate – I am not sure I would pay the rack rate advertised on the website.

Observations / Lessons Learned:

• The front desk prepares your arrival packet before you get there – they are not likely to move you unless something is wrong with the room.
• Elevators require a room key to select a residence floor (don’t forget it)
• Elevators can be slow during busy times or when it starts to rain.
• Getting around takes some getting used to – it appears that they have tried to make things the best that they could. But it is still takes a day to figure it out.
• The “Pineapple Express” elevator to the Harbor Walk is outside in front of the pool facing the gulf.
• The housekeeping staff is really nice – our lady named “Smiley” was very kind and asked us if we needed anything when she saw us in the hall.
• Our kitchen did not have baking sheets (we were going to make pizza) or a dish sponge. Housekeeping will provide a sponge if you ask.
• Our booking advertised free fishing and free golf – we were unable to find these activities. Everyone we talked to sent us to someone that wanted us to pay. Not sure if this was a misunderstanding or just not available Labor Day weekend.
• The private beach has it features – if you have young children it would be great! The water area is small and sheltered and should make any parent less worried. Anyone wanting to sunbath only will be happy as well. Older kids and adults that are looking for “Ocean” fun will get board very quick. The water area is small and the beach is very steep. Leave the body boards and skim boards at home – they are useless here.
• I have read others say that the beach shuttle crew is rude – it’s not that they are rude as they are just not very friendly. Randy (the captain) appears to make up for his un-friendliness with competence. I would not board the shuttle looking to make friends or small talk with the crew – you could leave thinking they were rude.
• The Lucky Snapper restaurant in the Harbor Walk is not worth the money. A $26 entrée could make you leave felling hungry (and cheated). It appears that they are VERY tight on portion control.
• The Game room is a pit – don’t waste the time or the money
• The outdoor pool was nice – the kids enjoyed it very much. It is not very big and I would not go during busy times.
• JP was somewhat courteous to me! (But, you could so tell by the faces we made that he has an attitude)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank cmhou2002
new york
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2009

only five star about this hotel was the looks, size, harbor walk was nice but overpriced ($9 small slushie, $5 slice of pizza, etc)

spa, hot tubs, pool, game room, etc. closes at 10 pm! wow
hot tubs were nasty, discolored from over use, sand on the bottom, took them 2 days to fix a cold one. the beach ferry closed half of our stay.

worst management ever, beach ferry staff was impolite, talking with attitude, disrespect, also leaving us stranded on the beach a couple times and then asking for tips wow

everyone is drunk on the weekend, including a few hotel security
loud music, drunks screaming, police siren & lights go on til about 4am on weekends but pretty quite on the weekdays

would not recommend this hotel to ANYONE especially family with small children
overall rating from this hotel from my stay is about 3 star MAXd

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank davidcalo
Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

Looked great from the outside. We get to our condo to find a condom wrapper on the night stand. No way the housekeeper could have missed this, because the rest of the place was relatively clean. Obviously, someone had been getting it on in our room before we arrived. We asked for a different room and were moved although the snotty manager we talked to seemed like we were bothering him when he had more important things to do. We cut our reservation short and stayed in Panama City for the remainder of the week.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank keepitrealKentucky
Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2009

Some Hospitality Manager named JP needs to be fired. I called the front desk with a minor housekeeping request and was transfered to him since it could not be resolved. He thought he put me on hold and I heard hear him calling me some very inappropriate names. Then he gets back on the phone and acts real sweet and promises to "take care of it personally". Not surprisingly...nothing was done. Disgusted, I let the whole thing go vowing never to stay, or let anyone I know stay here again. WARNING! avoid this place. Location is the only thing it has going for it and there are plenty of other condos.

6 Thank b2darad
St Louis MO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

Room itself was very nice, parking in the garage was good but tight quartered to me. The Harborwalk was nice but very overpriced, as was all the food places there. If you do go Thursday is the fireworks show, very good. McQuires right across the street is AWESOME, get the $.18 bean soup, you wont regret it.

2nd day there had my $400 camera stolen from their private beach area. Was the end of the day on the 2nd to last shuttle to the hotel when I realized it was missing. Went back on the ferry and they had put up most of the chairs and claimed no one found it. Problem was there was only employees there when we left. The front desk was too bothered to even check the lost and found and on the next day when I asked they told me they would contact me if one came in. Loose money also disappeared twice from the room, wasn't much so didn't get too worked up but all the same it set the tone for what I would expect the remainder of my stay.

The wifi also was horrifically slow, but you always could upgrade for about $10 a day for a better connection. There was a pretty fair amount of construction going on around the hotel too.

I'd link some pictures.... If I had my camera...

1 Thank Just-Vettes
Burleson, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2009

My recent one week stay at the Emerald Grande was fine. We booked a 2 bedroom, but received a gorgeous 2 bedroom with an additional bunk room. We were able to strech out a bit more and loved that. The kitchen was well stocked - there was a cheese grater, measuring cups and spoons and so forth. We loved having the washer and dryer. We washed beach clothing each day. We had a pool and harbor view room. Our internet access was fine and we never had any issues. We used the laptop in several rooms and on both patios. We did not notice any noise in any of the room and slept very well. The staff was outstanding and extremely helpful in navigating the hotel and providing additional laundry detergent and towels. One complaint - the maid service was not great. Our room was not vacuumed the entire stay. Nor were the kitchen surfaces cleaned.

Having family staying in the east tower while we were in the west tower was a huge pain. The hotel was laid out in a confusing manner. There were separate elevators for each tower and no easy access between towers. To access to the harbor walk, you had to "follow the blue feet" in the parking garage or walk to the pool area and board a different set of elevators. It took us several days to become acclimated to the process of navigating between towers and the harbor walk.

Beach access - I love to walk the beach in the early morning and late at night. The hotel does not have beach access. You are taken to a private beach via a shuttle boat from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. I was not able to enjoy the beach at sunrise or sunset as I normally do when on vacation. The shuttle does provide drinks at a cost and you can order lunch to be served on the beach. There are also bathroom facilities on the shuttle. The last day of our stay, two separate groups brought music players and we had dueling music which I did not care for, but is no fault of the hotel.

In spite of the superior accommodations, I would not stay at the Emerald Grande again due to the lack of beach access.

1 Thank jenpeel63