“Beautiful but Average”

Emerald Grande at HarborWalk Village
Ranked #2 of 56 Specialty Lodging in Destin
“Beautiful but Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

The hotel was clean and our suite was nice but average. The furniture was a bit dated and seriously used. It is a very large complex and confusing to navigate. The staff was very friendly. If you have issues walking, this isn't your place. The is no valet service for cars so parking is under the hotel complex and is confusing as well. There is plenty to do, if you have plenty of money. Very pricey place. You have to take a "water taxi" to the "beach." The beach looks at a sea wall and there are so many other boats anchored there, it wasn't very relaxing to us. We had to wait in line to get on the boat to the beach area. We were on the street side and it was super loud. We could kind of see the beach but definitely ask to not be on the street side. All in all, I would rather not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a beach view that's not on the street side. We were on the street side and it was rea...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DruannM
MarkPzinski, Guest Services Manager at Emerald Grande at HarborWalk Village, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Druann M,

I'm sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. I am happy to hear that all of our staff was friendly, but I did want to apologize about the other issues. Our beach is located in a unique area, but we do offer two different beaches if one does not suit your needs for any reason. I hope you will give us another chance, and see what we can do about making your next stay with us "Grande". Please reach out to me if you would like to discuss these matters any further.

mpzinski@emeraldgrande.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Korean first
dallas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

I am SO sad! After years of taking summer vacations in the Caribbean, we elected to stay state side this year at a resort some friends "raved" about - Emerald Grande Harbor, Destin FL.

While a very nice resort in Destin, self contained that's where my A+ experience ended. I booked back in January. Spoke to the concierges and booking desk several times before making a decision. I confirmed (so I thought) several times (even up to 48 hours in advance) that 1. We would have a view of the harbor / beach 2. We would be arriving early. I was assured both were fine and our room reserved.

Arrived. Room was not ready. Told we would be put on a rush to have our condo ready. Waited 3+ hours and returned to the front desk to be told our room as still not ready. Learned then that it would have a street view! I shared with the Assistant Manager that this wasn't what I booked. He said only 2BRs have a comparable view. - I explained the 2+ conversations I had with the hotel when and after I booked about the view. I shared that I would "meet them half way to be upgraded to a 2BR with a decent (non-street view) view, as when you are on holiday who wants to view a major highway. I was told it would be hours until anything (if) would be available. Am waiting to see if they come through though I doubt as there was less than stellar effort to make sure we were satisfied.

While it appears the resort is nice, BE AWARE! if you are not booking a 3BR you will not have that "vacation view". Disappointed to an understatement. With what I'm looking at - I feel like I'm living in the city. So bummed I can't begin to tell you. If you want a 1BR condo, don't stay here.

Room Tip: See notes above. if you need a 1BR condo - stay away.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank mhendrick1213
MarkPzinski, Guest Services Manager at Emerald Grande at HarborWalk Village, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
mhendrick1213,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your feelings about your stay at Emerald Grande. I apologize for any confusion about the view, but all 1 Bedroom units face North and have the exact same view type. I am sure if there was any other option we had available, we would have tried our best to help you. I did notice you arrived trying to check in at 10AM, which is when all of our units check out that day. We were still able to get you in at 1:30, which is well before our standard check-in time of 4PM.

I hope this does not sour you from coming to visit us again, and please feel free to contact me personally should you need any help in deciding what unit type to book.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

This is our 3rd visit here coz from the beginning we had an awesome experience until this visit. We had encountered a very rude, arrogant and unprofessional security officer named Mr. Joseph. He was yelling and he told us to leave the pool. Bottom line I wish they will take some action in the future.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Leonel L
Leonel L,

Thank you for being a loyal and repeat customer at Emerald Grande, and I'm sorry to hear about what happened during your most recent stay. Please know that I have informed our Director of Security, and appropriate steps will be taken. If you wish to speak with me further about this matter, please feel free to reach out to me directly, and we hope to see you back here soon!

Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

We were invited to go with our daughter and grandchildren. This resort was beautiful and such easy access to everything. The pool was extremely nice and the food we ordered by the pool was delicious. The fireworks were beautiful and we could watch them from our balcony. We took the boat to the private beach which was breathtaking! The sand was white and the water crystal clean and green. Not far to walk when the boat docks. Beach chairs and umbrellas are all set up. You can also bring your own and ice chest also. Absolutely beautiful! The shops were right outside our resort. Everything within walking distance. The restaurants at Harbor Walk were very good. We dined at a Mexican one.our whole time there was wonderful, all positive. We would definitely like to go again! :-) Thanks again to our daughter and son for a terrific time! Of course, those beautiful grandchildren also! ;-)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank papanmama
papanmama,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your wonderful experience with us at Emerald Grande. I'm glad you had the opportunity to take advantage of all the amenities and events we have to offer. We can't wait to see you soon, hopefully with the whole family again!

Elkville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

A friend of the family who owns one of the condos at Emerald Grande recommended it to us. I have stayed in Seaside twice before and thought this would be a nice change for our family of 6 (Mom, Dad, Gramma, 18 yr old, 13 yr old, 5 yr old). Great location right by HarborWalk Village with numerous activities (including zipline, that bouncy harness thing my 5 yr old likes, boat and jet-ski rentals, etc.), upscale restaurants, shopping, and events such as Thursday night fireworks, local bands/musicians, Tuesday night Mardi Gras entertainment...you could park your car and just stay here for the week and have plenty to do. Our condo (2 bedroom/2 bath with 1 king bed room, 1 queen bed room, and then another room with twin bunk beds that didn't have a closet or bathroom which is why I guess it isn't considered a 3rd bedroom) was roomy, clean, up-to-date, comfy beds and sheets, well-stocked kitchen...only complaints were could use more ceiling lighting in the bedrooms. Staff was super helpful and friendly...bell staff, front desk, etc...all willing to help and offer their assistance...daily maid service for towels and refresh of kitchen and bathroom with friendly maids...no complaints. Free DVD rentals that my family enjoyed several nights (kind of like a free Red Box). Hotel pool and deck with bar/food area were very nice (pool could be larger or they could add an extra pool somewhere) and my kids had a great time...busy but it was never overrun with too many people and we are here 4th of July week. We haven't taken the hotel water shuttle to the hotel beach but may try before we leave tomorrow....we went to Henderson Beach one day and also rented a pontoon and hung out at Crab Island another day which were both wonderful!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank DisneyMomOf3Girls
DisneyMomOf3Girls,

So happy to hear you had such a great time at Emerald Grande! I see that you had the opportunity to take advantage of all we had to offer, with things to do for kids of all ages. It sure is the perfect place to bring you and your family. I hope we can see you again soon.

Cincinnati, OHio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

Our family stayed in a three bedroom unit overlooking the harbor walk. The unit was exceptionally clean and spacious. All the staff that we came in contact with went out of their way to be pleasant and friendly. One morning we had breakfast by the pool and the food was excellent as was the service.
The only reason I did not give a five star rating was our very poor experience with the beach. We were told by the front desk staff that beach chairs, umbrellas,and towels would be provided at the beach to Emerald Grande guests. This was not the case. On the boat over were were encouraged to tip the crew as they were there for us, hmmm. Upon arrival there were no chairs available and no one to set up new ones. We finally got four chairs for our group of five by grabbing some from a family that was leaving for the day. Next we tried to the get towels. I went to the boat which had returned and upon boarding I asked the Captain about the towels. She practically read me the riot act. Informed me that she was not housekeeping or the front desk but the Captain! Sorry, my bad, I took them at their word when the boat crew said we should come to them with any needs. The Captain went on to tell me that I should call the front desk if I wanted towels. I did this and indeed on the next boat (they come at half hour intervals) were towels. Waiting for the boat is another adventure. It only holds 49 passengers, we were about 20th in line but when the boat came the crew did nothing to keep order and people just swarmed the boat knowing they would wait another half hour in the sun for another chance. Having a designated line up area or giving our numbered tickets would easily solve this issue.
That beach problem was our only one. We thoroughly enjoyed the area, the restaurants, and shops. Our balcony was a perfect viewing area for the Thursday night fireworks. We also felt that by not having to leave the resort area we got more time to actually relax as opposed to driving around looking for places to eat and park.
I noticed that some reviewers complained that the water was murky but this must have been due to tidal activity because when we were there the water was a prefect clear emerald.
I would absolutely recommend this resort to others and hope to stay again in the near future.

Room Tip: Harbor Walk view rooms have beautiful views of the water. You can people watch and enjoy the sight...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
StellaRichardson,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at Emerald Grande. While I'm happy to hear you enjoyed yourself , I'm sorry to hear you had a negative experience at the beach. Please know that we will look into this, and does not reflect how our beach is at all. Besides the beach problem, I'm glad to hear that everything was wonderful, and you had the opportunity to take in all the we have to offer. It sure is a great place to come, and with everything to do on property, there is no need to fight with the traffic. Hope to see you again soon!

Carlinville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

We rented 2, 3 bedroom units and found the quality of the furniture and appliances way above average. The beds were very comfortable as I was able to sleep from the very first night. One room was a deluxe unit which had bunk beds in the 3rd bedroom the other unit was called "plus". It had a queen bed in the 3rd bedroom. The private beach required a shuttle boat trip but was certainly worth the trip. The water was clear and calm on a white sand beach equipped with free beach chairs and umbrellas. The pool area was nice but not quite large enough to handle a facility this size. As many others have commented the indoor pool is not up to the standards of the rest of the facility. As for location, the harbor walk village is a setting we all dream of being able to experience. They have activities most nights varying from patriotic to a live rock band, to fireworks and another evening included a small parade. For the most part this area was well planned and very convenient.

Room Tip: The Harbor view was amazing.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank kidscoach4
kidscoach4,

I'm happy to hear you had a great time with us at Emerald Grande. Events are happening throughout the week, and there is always something to do in HarborWalk Village. Glad to hear you got to take advantage of our complementary beach chair and umbrellas available for all of our guests, and our rooms are all top-notch. I hope we get the chance to see you again soon at Emerald Grande.