“okay, won't return”

Ranked #2 of 55 Specialty Lodging in Destin
Springfield Illinois
“okay, won't return”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The porperty needs some attention, especially the north side where you check in. Needs steam cleaned for dirt and mildew. First balcony overlooked parking lot and buildings with partial view of water was filthy. Bird droppings, mildew, spider webs, feathers and lots of dust.
Second room was Presidential Reserve with huge clean balcony overlooking shopping and bars below as well as into bay. Room was clean beds were very good to sleep in. Area has constant racket from highway, boats people and music from bars. If you want to be in the middle of the action this is your place. Every morning there was pounding and banging from ongoing construction and multiple delivery trucks.
The place is confusing to navigate. We found the staff to be just fine. The servers at breakfast were all great and breakfast food was supurb.
No beach on site but there private beach with an attentive staff was a short free ride away. Actually given all the activity on the boardwalk it was a plus having the beach over on the sand strand. On the ride to the beach about ten dolphins swam next to the boat. Awesome. The only negative on the beach were cigarette butts everywhere in the sand.
Lots of good entertainment and food within walking distance.
Property okay, just a bit grubby and too much noise for us, especially since we no longer have kids travelling with us. Going back to Sandestin.

Room Tip: Get a bay view and maybe you will see the dolphins!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
VictoriaWyatt, Manager at Emerald Grande at HarborWalk Village, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear kentdan1,

Thank you for your review. I apologize about the condition of the first unit you checked into but happy to hear your Presidential Reserve unit was more to our regular standards. I will definitely share with our maintenance and housekeeping department to ensure we handle this. We actually are currently cleaning and remodeling some of the property so hopefully this will not be an issue again. We do value all your feedback and if there is anything further you would like to discuss I encourage you to contact me directly at (850) 424-0631 or vwyatt@legendaryinc.com.

Best regards,
Victoria Wyatt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 13, 2013

With an airport super close (and a free shuttle!) you can't beat this awesome resort for a family get away! The condo we had was plenty big for my family of five! The breathtaking view, awesome pool, and fun shopping near by made this the perfect stay! You can seriously do so much! I was there for 4 days and didn't get to do near as much as I wish I could have! A MUST go to resort! Clean, friendly and made me feel like an honored guest!

I would also suggest this as a girls weekend get away!

Room Tip: Choose a room that has two bathrooms! We used them both at the same time often!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Navarre, Florida
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My recent stay at Emerald Grande left me wanting to go back. It's centrally located that in 3 days I only had to get in my car once. It's the perfect backdrop for weddings and a very family friendly resort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This weekend we attended a dear friend's wedding held on site at Emerald Grande. We stayed at the resort as recommended. The wedding was fabulous, and this is a Wonderful place to take your vows and throw a great party. The event bartenders are all superb, and the location is very convenient. The food missed a step as a steak came out like leather, and there was no other option in the kitchen? Odd....but...AJs a couple doors down was a very fun club after the parties. The property itself misses the mark...too large....a layout that is very confusing...poor signage....poor support personnel make this "grand" project one of the best marketing machines I have experienced. Emails generated reminding the guest of check in times, potential interesting attractions to sign up for, check out times, harbor walk activities the days of your visit....all very well promoted. The check in was great, but each staffer met beyond that was lackluster and not interested in any sort of "team" approach and seemed genuinely amused if guests were not sure where they might be located or how to get to their destination. The shops are beach-y touristy without a great boutique for men, women or children that we found....some nice shoes? The pool was fine, but there is no beach. There IS a shuttle to the beach...and towels are included for you $30 a DAY resort fee....in Vegas they don't even charge $30 a day-yet. The view is like city living as you look across at other units, or over the pool where children's happy cries echo up the walls....the bathroom vent allows in all the sounds from the pool and other decks, but at least the black out drapes are fantastic. The bed slept well, and there was nice marble, granite and crown moulding. Housekeeping never visits as they are a "green" property, and the cost for all this is the sky and the moon. For the event, where we knew 20+ parties in the building, this location was lots of fun. Without the event, we would opt for somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you like a pretty sunrise, they have rooms that have a great view-request them to avoid the noise...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear crzymnd,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the wedding you attended during your stay. I am also glad you were able to take advantage of the Emerald Grande smart phone ap. We are still constantly adding more info about the property and amenities so all our guests and owners are well informed before they arrive and while they are here on property. We also are currently working on a map to assist our guests from getting lost or turned around. As for the amenity fee of $30, you are correct that it includes pool towels but it also includes many more such as beach towels at the beach, covered parking, free DVD rentals, free wireless internet and business center. I apologize you did not receive housekeeping as we do provide daily maid service but if you had your "do not disturb" sign up, we have a policy not to enter units. Again, thank you for your feedback. All your words are valued and we hope you do decide to pay us another visit sometime in the future.

Warmest regards,
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just got married here on the 3rd of May. We loved everything about the Emerald Grande. The pool, the spacious rooms all with their own private bathrooms, the breathtaking view, the friendly staff, the location relative to Harborwalk and the fitness facility was well equipped. All of our guests loved their stay as well and many if them are already planning return trips to stay there again, including us for next year. Great job EG! Keep up the good work!

• Stayed May 2013
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Staying at many resorts in the past and reading reviews of this place I thought it would be one of the best. It was nice but maintenance of the property was not kept up. Our balconies had filth and mildew. The whole area needed a good power washing and chairs were stained. The pool was clean. The rooms were nice but could have been updated. Many large light fixtures on the outside were not replaced. Could be much better. One maintenance employee was using the elevator to hide and pushed all the elevator floor buttons to kill time. This really irritated my brother who had to stop at every floor and the guy even had the nerve to explain why he did this to waste time from his boss. SERIOUSLY??? Otherwise the desk and maids were very cordial.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed on the pool side so you don't see the highway
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
VictoriaWyatt, Manager at Emerald Grande at HarborWalk Village, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Shoreluver,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I apologize about the maintenance issues you mentioned in your review. We have been doing some major updating this year to keep our property as nice and up to date as possible. As for the issue with one of the employees, I want you to know I have already contacted the department manager so it can be addressed and handled. We value all our feedback and I hope you decide to give us another chance.

Warmest regards,
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of receiving a fantastic Swedish massage from Nicole M. at The Spa at Emerald Grande. Not only was the service amazing, Nicole M. also took the time to carefully answer each of my questions. Her passion shined through in the service, but even more so, her knowledge of the massage industry was remarkable. She is certainly an asset to the spa. Although I no longer live in Destin, scheduling a service with Nicole M. will be a top priority when I travel back to Destin in a few months.
I was also thrilled at the entire experience in general. From start to finish, I was pleased with each detail of my time at the spa. The level of customer service, the amenities provided for comfort, and the pricing was all ideal. The Spa at Emerald Grande certainly raised the bar for what I will expect out of my future spa experiences. Thank you again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo