“Spend Your Money Elsewhere”

Emerald Grande at HarborWalk Village
Ranked #2 of 55 Specialty Lodging in Destin
Atlanta, Georgia
“Spend Your Money Elsewhere”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I looked forward to this trip for well over a month because of looking at the pictures of this resort and thinking how 'grande' it was going to be. Not so much! It's situated right on the Destin strip. We were on the 12th floor and the street noise was non-stop 24/7. It was also an incredible pain having to catch the shuttle to the 'private' 50 feet of beach. We went when it wasn't particularly beach weather. I can't imagine how horrible and crowded it would be when it's sunbathing season. Plus no one ever knew when the shuttle was running - whether it was every 1/2 hour or hour or as needed. Not did anyone know the correct hours. But regardless, the latest it ever ran was 4, so people who wanted an evening beach walk were out of luck unless you got in your car and drove to a public beach. And no one needs to try and afford to eat at HarborWalk. All the restaurants are terribly overpriced for very low quality food. Drinks are watered down and unless you catch happy hour specials, overpriced as well. The room was nice except for the pull out sofa that was absolutely horrible. I've been a Wyndham owner for years and years and this was the most disappointed I've ever been with a property - mostly because when you use that many point, you expect something spectacular. This property isn't anywhere near spectacular. There are several other Wyndham properties in the area and if at all possible, stay in one of those. The points you have to pay for this one are absolutely out of balance for what you get.

Room Tip: Try very hard to get on the Harbor side - the traffic noise on the Bay side never stops.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jeeller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Korean first
Loudon, Tennessee
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Every Wyndham property we have ever stayed in has been gorgeous. This one was no exception. When we checked in we were given a different room than what we had booked. The staff quickly fixed the situation and were so accommodating. The staff at the Emerald Grande were totally the most kind and friendliest we have ever encountered at a Wyndham property. (Michelle and Jamie - thank you for making this such an enjoyable trip for our family!) The only inconvenience was having to take a shuttle to the beach. When we finally got to the beach, we couldn't get in the water because it was filled with gas from the boats. No worries - you can just drive down about a mile to a public access to enjoy the beach.

Room Tip: We had a 3-bedroom bay view plus. Very large lanai and private balcony for one bedroom. Was very e...
2 Thank Cheryl A
Evansville,In
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hotel is pretty and clean. 2 hour check in, Had long wait on Bellman Sunday about 5pm when arrived to be sent to occupied room. No front desk manager available. Sent to another room that did not have needed bed arrangement. Finally landed after 2 hours of waiting and going up and down. Most senior person at front desk had 3 months experience on a Sunday during spring break. Ended up in room with no hot water. (later fixed). Had windy day and air blowing in master bath and noisy vent. Tried unsuccessfully to tape shut. Nut shell- fixable problems but nobody directing staff. Pretty proper. Sad that not more well run.

1 Thank dogdoc53
VictoriaWyatt, Manager at Emerald Grande at HarborWalk Village, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear dogdoc53,

Thank you for your review. I apologize about the inconvenience at check in. We have had some shifting around in staff at the front desk due to promotions and again I am sorry that you had experienced a little difficulty but glad that my staff was able to accomodate you in a complimentary upgrade due to the difficulties. I wish we could have spoken while you were on property but if there is anything you would like to discuss in detail I encourage you to still contact me directly at (850) 424-0631 or vywatt@legendaryinc.com.

Warmest regards,
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The facility over all was excellent, but a word of caution. We had a unit on the east side overlooking the parking lot. If traffic noise and garbage trucks bother you, ask for a room overlooking the pool. This place has all the accoutrements of the finest hotels. I will be returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool. That will keep you away from the traffic noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gerry T
Gerry T,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your helpful hint you provided in you review. I do want to add that if you book any 2 bedroom /2 bath plus bunk room then you are guaranteed to be on the inside part of the building, wrapping around the pool. All our normal 3 bedroom /3 bath condo units are the ones that wrap around the outside of the building whether it be on the east or west. We look forward to your next visit!

Best,
Cookeville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We just started at the Grande Beach for five nights in a 3-bedroom bay view. This is a very nice property and the unit was well laid out. 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms was a plus, not to mention the two lanais with a large wrap around lanai! Wyndham only owes a small percentage of the resort. This is not a Wyndham resort, and their presence there is very small. No pushy time share presentations!

It was rather cold out while we were there, so we didnt to enjoy the beach/pool much. You must know that the beach is actually across the harbor and you need to take a hotel water taxi to get there.

There are many dining options around within walking distance. Do not miss McGuires across the street! This was the best filet mignon we've ever had!

It was a great stay, but if you want to be right on the sand, this probably isnt for you.

The gym was very nice and well stocked. There are also his/hers steam rooms in the locker rooms available for use free of extra charges.

My only complaint would be the road noise from our Master Bedroom. We were on the third floor which is actually five floors above the street. We were woken by traffic noise every morning. They probably need to address the doors/windows in this room to better seal them from exterior noise.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Gulf side will be quieter as would rooms at a higher level I would think.
3 Thank trintrav
Dear trintrav,

Thank you for your detailed review of Emerald Grande. I'm excited to hear you enjoyed your stay as well as many of the amenities located on and nearby our property. I do hope you decide to come back and see us when it is a little warmer so you can enjoy more of the pool and/or beach as well as the numerous water sports around the harbor.

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The overall appearance of the property is nice, however the customer service at the front desk (initials C.A.) was beyond rude!!! We sent an email to the Guest Services Manager, Victoria Wyatt, and left a voice mail, however no response.
Overall if you don't care about being treated like a guest, just need a place to stay for a hefty price then this is the place.....But there are so many better choices in Destin!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sheri410
VictoriaWyatt, Manager at Emerald Grande at HarborWalk Village, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear sheri410,

Thank you for reviewing Emerald Grande. First, I would like to apologize for your experience. I had a nice conversation with your husband on Thursday when I returned your phone call after being out of the office in the afternoon. I think all your concerns were addressed with him but if you would also like to speak please feel free to contact me too as I would like to clear the air and ensure you that none of our intentions were poor as you previously indicated. My direct line is (850) 424-0631 and my email is vwyatt@legendaryinc.com. I look forward to your speaking with you.

Best regards,
biringham
Reviewed February 23, 2013

can't fine your way around ,no one cares, food was bad, hard to check in, pool was dirty, room dirty, should have something free like a boat ride. i"ll never stay there again.no beach try taking three kids to the beach and walking a mile, hallways dirty, trash rooms dirty,

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank larry b
Dear larry b,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Emerald Grande. I apologize you may have had a negative experience. I did not get much details out of the review so if there is anything you would like to discuss more in detail I encourage you to contact me directly as I feel you may have not had a full experience since you mentioned things like the boat shuttle which we do have one that runs daily to the closest beach. My contact is (850) 424-0631 and/or vwyatt@legendaryinc.com. I look forward to speaking with you.

Best,