“Wonderful Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 56 Specialty Lodging in Destin
Texas
“Wonderful Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

I was sorry to hear about some of the bad reviews for this resort, but they seem to revolve around the "management" issues. This is our second visit to this resort. We rented from a private owner and it was wonderful. One of the best condo's we've ever stayed in. High quality linens, beach chairs and umbrellas for our use, even golf clubs. The security guards appear to take their job very seriously, which is not always a good thing. Really......alright already with the armband thing. I told the guy, "come on, you've seen me here four days in a row. I left the band upstairs." Nope, he didn't budge and I ended up sitting outside the gates for while before I finally gave in and went and got it. The pool is fabulous (once you get in with your armband and highly "guarded" gate code). The food is great from the Cabana Club. But I too saw some very unhappy people waiting around the front office, confirmations in hand, on the phone trying to reach the office staff to get into their rentals. So...hint hint. Rent from an owner, there are plenty of websites to get you in touch with one.

1 Thank KJTexas

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Vestavia Hills, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

First of all I would like to say that I NEVER. And I mean NEVER right reviews for anything. Anyway, before we even left the house I called the main office to ask why they charged my card the full room rate amount 8-10 days before we got there (I did not know this was the policy). The girl really let me have it. I felt no need to argue (I wasn't even rude). But I digress. They have another policy where they charge a $100 cleaning fee for each stay. We walked into the condo and it was filthy. Holes in the walls, hair on everything (I guess the cleaning ladies go in and shake there heads around then leave) and the comforters were disgusting. I would love to know what these people use that $100 for. When we got up from the Beach the first day we jumped in to take a shower and there was mold EVERYWHERE. Plus when the water was running it smelled like "bay water". Disgusting. We really didn't walk around the complex much because we were there for a wedding and didn't have time. And the walk to the Beach was really close. So I'll give them those. I'm really OK to stay somewhere where it's not that nice, but dirty, I think that is the worst thing in the world. So please heed this warning people. And have a lovely day.

5 Thank dfriday12
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

This resort is very clean and the condo we stayed in was beautiful! The resort is a short walk to the beach. The pools were huge. Plenty of parking around the resort. We will definitely be returning, the workers were all friendly and the noise level is quiet at 10pm.

2 Thank Dallas B
Metro New Orleans
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

We travel to the Destin area every year for the week of July 4 with our family and have been doing so for the past six years. In the past we have stayed at the five star, full service Emerald Grande down by the Destin harbor, but this year we decided to cut back due to our budget and stay in a different location. We were extremely pleased with Ariel Dunes. The location is ok. It's close to the outlet mall for shopping, but would have liked to be a little closer to some of the attractions and to more restaurants. The beach was only a very short walk. The condo was super clean, spacious, and well-stocked. We will definitely stay here again! Highly recommend for families who enjoy time on the beach!

1 Thank chercaruso
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

This is a tough review for me because of the issues we had with the condo management company/Seascape. Overall, I would have given Ariel Dunes as a resort, and specifically the condo we stayed in, a higher rating because the condo itself was fairly nice.

Here are some of the many issues we ran into...

At night, we had SO much noise from the floors above that we could barely sleep. While the resort has signs posted about "quiet hours 10pm to 10am", the folks above us apparently stayed up all night running around their condo.

When we first got in, I did find a couple of things in disrepair (broken closet door, broken lamp) and let the management company know, but no one responded. The worst part, though...there were no pool wristbands for us and we ended up going round and round with Southern Resorts and Seascape about it. One place said we could get into the pool with our code and show our reservation to the security guard until we got our bands (which were NEVER delivered to us, we had to drive to the Southern offices IN our wet bathing suits after coming from the beach), but the security guard would never let us into the pool without them. Then, once we did finally go get them ourselves no thanks to ANY help from Seascape (or Southern who said they had delivered the bands, which they never had done), we apparently had the outdated code that you need to get in AND out of the pool. I managed to get that resolved by asking for the code from another patron because Southern Resorts NEVER called me back with the updated code despite the whole previous ordeal with the pool bands. The whole thing was a huge pain. We also were told by a Seascape gate guard that the parking passes that Southern Resorts gave us were not valid and we had to go trade them in for "real" ones at the Seascape office, but they said no, they were fine. We ended up having to ask Southern Resorts for "real" passes as well. All in all, the communication between Southern Resorts, Seascape and us as the renters was just terrible.

The resort is extremely busy and the "private" Seascape beach is insane unless you go after about 5pm. If we went before that, we were about three sets of chairs/tents deep away from the water.

Our place had a good view of the beach, but there are two buildings on either side surrounding the view. Also, while it's not "far" from the beach, around an 8-minute walk, it's a bit of a pain when you're trying to carry any gear, coolers, etc., with you. And crossing Old 98 can be a bit scary at times.

Overall, the resort is nice and generally in good condition (with the exception of the couple of things I mentioned), but I'm thinking we may look elsewhere if we come back to the area.

5 Thank Jennifer S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed in Ariel Dunes I...great location overlooking the beach, great pools, and the condos as well as the resort was well kept. Please take advantage of the discounts that they offer on and off the resort...traveling with 3 kids discounts came in handy.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Randy70769
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed at the Ariel Dunes I in #1106 from July 6 to 13th and I must say it was a GREAT vacation. The beach is short walk away, we had free beach service, the pools are nice, the Cabana Cafe in on the property was great and their service was perfect. There are showers set up around the area so you can wash the sand off and there is plenty to do and see around the area. I will definitely be back!

2 Thank jov143