“Just OK”

Emerald Bay Golf Club
Ranked #66 of 182 Outdoor Activities in Destin
More attraction details
Owner description: Play by the Bay. This championship level, 18-hole course is believed by many to be one of Northwest Florida's best. Enjoy breathtaking views of the bay, which runs along the back nine. Just steps from the course, the Guesthouse offers luxury accommodations for up to 16.
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Staff was accomodating. Although we had T Time for next day we decided to see if we could walk on the afternoon before saving 50% off posted rate--we could and did! Im sure I would not pay $85 to play here but $50 ish was ok ONCE. We got on at 2:00pm and there was no one in front of us or behind us--NICE. We played in about 3:15! Front nine was in way better shape than back 9 (and we had a bit of trouble finding 1st Tee!) Back 9 greens were "fuzzy" and much slower than front (I hate when that happens). A couple of greens on the back were awful. Hole 14 was a bit unfair (200 yd CARRY from white tees over natural area) Neither of us were able to carry!)
Back home in Dallas this would be about a $35 course, but hey we were on vacation and got to play a round with a great friend!

All reviews
"vacation"
in 5 reviews
"track"

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Played this afternoon. Tip off should have been people playing in sneakers and shirts hanging out. I am used to a private club so my expectations were probably too high for a public course. No golf towels, no tees in cart, etc. Aside from that, the basics were missing. Greens were in terrible shape. Like putting on a shag carpet with bare spots. Definately showed lack of proper golf maintenance. Fairways ok. Tee boxes were marginal. Unfortunately had to rent a set of clubs. My error in not checking them out before I paid. Mixed set of clubs. Top flight with some other off brand. Driver and woods had dents in them as if somebody was using them for a hammer. Even worse, the 56 deg wedge had no grip. There was only the wrapping tape. When I returned to the club I mentioned to the staff that the pro should be ashamed to have his name associated with this course. If you are a good golfer with a decent handicap, this is not the course for you. If you play golf in work boots and have your ball cap on sideways this is good for you. Only thing good about the round was the weather. So I just enjoyed the sunshine and figured it was better than getting a root canal.

Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Small greens, good layout, course had been aerated recently so greens were rough. Club house people were friendly, cart boys could have made a bit of money if they were a bit more attentive.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I played Emerald Bay twice last week and enjoyed both rounds. The course was in the process of aerification, so I can't give an honest review of the greens. The layout was challenging with multiple dog legs and some tight fairways. Pace of play was no problem as it wasn't overcrowded. Nice driving range with balls already waiting on you.

My complaint: poor service both times we played. The starter was friendly one day, but that was the extent of hospitality. The guys working in the pro shop were barely cordial and never offered a smile. No "hit em well" or "good luck" was mentioned. Just a careless attitude. I may play there again, but only because of the course itself - not the staff!

Tip: You can usually find two discounted tee times per day on ezlinks.com - one in the mid-morning and one around noon. We booked our rounds for $20/person each day, a far cry from the regular $85 walk-up rate. You can also find discounts on golfnow.com but usually not as cheap.

1  Thank RabidWarhawk