“Average to poor, except for the local fauna.”
Review of Dewey Destin's

Dewey Destin's
Ranked #17 of 308 Restaurants in Destin
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Average to poor, except for the local fauna.”
Reviewed January 23, 2010

I must admit I was disappointed by my visit to Dewey's. When it comes to BBQ and seafood, I place high expectations on rustic, bare-bones locations. Experience has taught me that in places that look like Dewey Destin Seafood, the food, rather than the decor is made to impress, and I am more than happy to let it. Unfortunately this was not the case. I really wanted to like my meal, and I might consider giving the restaurant another try, but given the prices, I'll probably go someplace else instead.

I ordered the captain's fried platter (shrimp, oysters and fish with fries, slaw and hush puppies) for $17.95 and my husband ordered the grilled mahi mahi (corn and steamed potatoes) for $12.95.

Pros:
-great location right on the water with indoor and outdoor tables to suit all weather
-we enjoyed watching a pod of dolphins play about 30 feet from our table for at least 10 minutes
-The large shrimp tasted fresh and they were generous with the number.
-large portions, so at least I didn't leave hungry
-friendly service

Cons:
-Overall, my food was bland and lacked seasoning. That says a lot considering that I prefer most seafood without sauces or strong flavored accompanyments because I like the freshness of the seafood to shine through. Nothing "shone through" here but the oddly paper-like taste of the batter. Apart from the shrimp, I had to add a LOT of salt, ketchup and cocktail sauce to make my food taste of anything.
-The fried fish was very inconsistent. There were three pieces. The first had a strong, fishy odor reminiscent of frozen rather than fresh fish, and was full of bones, so I didn't even try to eat it. When I gave the others a chance, they had a mild flavor (albeit also bland) and did not smell as fishy.
-The grilled mahi was slightly undercooked, and while not terrible, was not worth finishing.
-The french fries were obviously bought frozen rather than being prepared on sight. I could easily forgive this if not for the other problems.

In summary, we were hoping for a simple, rustic meal of fried and grilled fresh fish. What we got was a bland, passable meal which, apart from the shrimp, could have just as easily been recreated by buying fish from the freezer section of the nearby Publix. My husband and I always look forward to fresh seafood on our trips to the Gulf coast, but sadly I would have enjoyed the $10.95 combo basket from my local seafood favorite much more. I consoled myself by saying that I would have happily paid the $8.00 price difference to watch the dolphins play. However, if it is a simple tasty seafood basket you are looking for, you may want to look elsewhere.

1 Thank scubagirlATL

Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
“Great seafood and great views, but is it worth the price?”
Reviewed January 8, 2010

The seafood is excellent, and the view of the shore very nice, but the place is really pricy for a no-frills restaurant. So if you want to indulge, go and enjoy! Otherwise, look for a better value-for-money place.

poole, uk
“Very informal seafood dining, fresh seafood with no frills”
Reviewed January 1, 2010

We visitied the original Dewey's in Calhoun this year as we liked it so much last year. It runs out not that cheap despite its informal setting but the seafood is extremely fresh. On a lucky day you get to see dolphins in the harbour while you tuck into your food.

Richmond, VA
“Loved it”
Reviewed January 1, 2010

A little pricey, but great food--definitely worth it. The Parmesan Grouper is very, very good, and reasonably priced at $16. My fried oysters were also great, and also $16. But a bourbon and coke is only $4, so I think it balances out, pricewise. An added bonus for that area, is that on Thurs. nights, they have awesome fireworks across the bay, and you can get a good view from the outside decks. And last night just happened to be Thurs. night, and New Year's Eve. A wonderful surprise.

Panhandle Florida
“Negative reviews”
Reviewed December 31, 2009

Then stay away and let us locals have it back!!!!!!! Love the place; however it has been run over by all the visitors that expect a high fancey place to eat. You are getting the Freshest and best Seafood in the area! If you want Hamburgers and chicken tenders go down the street to McDonalds. I have witnessed several groups of 15 and more all show up at the same time and just slow down the whole process with indecisions and "What do you want?"

I dont tell any one about this GEM anymore TOO Many Touristas. and dont give me The area depends on us.