“This is the original place on the Bay”
Review of Dewey Destin's

Dewey Destin's
Ranked #17 of 310 Restaurants in Destin
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just to be sure you know this place is not on the harbor, but is on the bay. You will not just happen to drive by because it's pretty well hidden. Anyway, it's the Florida Panhandle of the 1950's (maybe earlier) and was just a little too rustic for us. This place is for lunch only and the menu is on boards on the wall, you order at the counter and then have a seat and wait for your food which is delivered in plastic baskets with plastic flatware. The place is not the cleanest and some of the smells are difficult to identify, but if you're after authentic old Florida it's here.

2  Thank bdagley
Write a ReviewReviews (2,423)

Reviewed December 17, 2012

WOW -- this was the best seafood I've ever had on the Gulf Coast! Great casual setting by Destin Harbor / crab island, with casual outdoor seating on picnic tables on a dock -- great view, and our dogs were able to sit with us for lunch. I had stuffed shrimp basket -- WOW, was it good! My husband had marinated/broiled catch of the day -- it was great! The folks there were awesome, and the food was fantastic -- we highly recommend Dewey Destin's for an _excellent_ meal in a beautiful, casual setting!

1  Thank riverspirits
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Yum! Great view, great food. Favorite is the grilled shrimp. Probably the best hush puppies I've ever eaten. Only downside was the loudmouths on the other side of the room......not the fault of the restaurant.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

There are two Dewey's restaurants in Destin, both owned by the same owner from what we are told. That said, almost every person we have spoken to has told us to go to the original hole-in-the-wall joint overlooking crab island - NOT the one on the main drag. Favored by the locals, we heard about it from a fellow tourist who hadn't yet been but was told it was great. He even mentioned the two restaurants and which one he was told was the best. He was right.

The original Dewey's is hidden away down a side road just before your cross the bridge from Destin towards Okaloosa Island. Crappy one-lane road leading to a gravel parking lot and what looks like a trailer by the water (it is). Turns out the trailer is where the food is prepared, while the building (basically a nice shack with an enclosed eating area) is just past it. Definitely nothing fancy and will scare off most of the blue bloods. You stand in line to order inside the shack and then find a seat (if you can) either inside or out on one of the two docks. We always go for the docks when the weather is good. Sea gulls can be aggressive but they keep water guns (super-soaker toys) handy to scare them off if they decide they want some of your delicious crab dip.

So about that food: It is superb. We try to skip the fried foods so generally get everything grilled. I opt for the grilled grouper basket (no bread) with corn on the cob and fries. The new potatoes are also excellent, but crinkle-cut fries seem more appropriate for a basket. Start with the crab dip and be prepared to be amazed. Better than any other in the area we have tried, even though served with cheap crackers. The grouper is almost a steak, with a VERY generous portion cooked and glazed to perfection. They brought out one that was slightly overcooked once and before I could even start to comment the waitress told me she had already ordered me another cut but figured I might want to nibble on this one while I waited for the new one to arrive. Now THAT is service.

We often finish off with their home-made key lime pie - also one of the best in the area. Creamy, not too tart, and with a good graham cracker crust. Go there on a nice sunny day and watch the boats go by or dolphins surface as you soak up the sun and have an amazing meal from start to finish. Paradise found!

1  Thank y2kgts
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We were told this was the best seafood in Destin. I found it to be just average. Our drinks came quickly and we had a great view of the harbor from our patio seating. The food took quite a while and it was nothing to write home about. I had the Mahi Mediterranean, which was good, but small for almost $20. My husband had the Sesame Crusted Tuna which he said was not good at all. I declined to taste it, so I can't say for sure what was wrong with it. The wait for the food turned my kids whiney and pretty much ruined the trip. I would suggest adults only at this restaurant to improve your experience!

2  Thank Heather C