“OK business hotel”

Courtyard by Marriott Sandestin at Grand Boulevard
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Reviewed September 27, 2009

I travel to the Sandestin area a couple of times a year on business, and tried this hotel the last couple of times. It's an OK business hotel.

Good things: Adjacent to the Sandestin resort, where there are good running and walking paths. Free internet. Clean, basic rooms. Free parking. Small workout room. Doesn't feel like a over-used vacation hotel, like a lot of the hotels in the area.

Not so good points: Elevator is so slow that it's worthless. A little far off the beaten path if you're there for business. Too far away from beach to get there by walking.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed September 18, 2009

Booked through Priceline for ~$100 after taxes on Labor Day weekend. Hotel is very nice, clean, and the staff were helpful. We were allowed to check in at 11am! Luckily, rooms were available at that time. Beach is about 1-2mi away. I thought based on the map that it would be very very close to the water, like a block away, but it turns out that is not the case. Outlet malls are about 2 miles away also. Breakfast was not included, and for $9, I'd rather eat somewhere else anyway. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I actually booked this room through Priceline - maybe that's why i didn't receive any requests such as a balcony or pool view room. I was told there were none available. However, there were rooms with no lights on - i feel like they were open.
Anyway - my first time in Sandestin was enjoyable. This hotel is very easy to find and get in & out of. Extremely SLOW elevator - take the stairs if you're going down... I wish they had a refrigerator - only a "chiller". The room was kind of tight for just the three of us. Just not laid out real well. BUT, it was clean - no complaints there. The breakfast was a joke - way overpriced - go down the road to waffle house.
However, the pool was great - 5 yrd old loved it. The hot tub was so hot you could hardly stand to put your leg in it - dont know what was up with that.
Pretty good hotel - I've had better. You did get the parking pass to go back into the Baytown Wharf & private beach - that was cool. If you are going to go to the beach - GO EARLY or you will have to park way the heck away from the beach - way to far to drag your stuff.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank dswainbishop
Reviewed July 29, 2009

We went to Destin for a little R&R for a 2 night stay. I was very disappointed with this hotel, not up to Marriott standards. The rooms carpet was filthy, after the maid came in next day (around 4 pm!) we found sand in both of the beds that night! Really weird since we sure didnt get it there!! We had called because the maid hadnt come by 3:30 pm... maybe she was mad?! The tram service to the beach can be a long wait, better to drive yourself over there. You can park easily especially if you go early. Breakfast at the hotel was just ok, overpriced at 11.00 per person. Would not stay here again..

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2009

We stayed at this hotel twice on our way to and from Orlando. Both times the staff were helpful and friendly. That was all the staff...front desk, waitresses, bartender and cleaning staff. I had dealings with them all and they were professional and helpful.
The decor is very nice and clean. There are blackout curtains...the towels are not dirty and thin. The bathroom is a generous size. The studio was a little tight for our family of 2 adults and 2 children. There are suites so maybe they are bigger. In a way I can picture this hotel in London...I'm not sure the design is the best fit for Destin, where so many families come. We got a good price of 167.00 and compared with the rest of Destin a little tightness was something we could deal with. The elevator is slow..but makes for good conversation with other guests. The best was being able to use the Sandestin beaches because you are a guest here. It is an amazing resort. All in all, a very nice hotel, more designed for business travelers but tries to do its best for families.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank roseofsharon2
Reviewed July 2, 2009

There must be new management at this hotel, but as of right now, I would rate as maybe a 2 star hotel just because it is part of Sandestin. I have stayed at this hotel many times over the years, and it is definitely going down hill.
-Upon arriving, I was very polite with front desk manager, and he was very brash and rude in response to my questions and comments.
-The hotel has started using very thin towels that always look and smell dirty. The housekeeping staff is no longer friendly and accommodating with requests.
-They no longer provide glasses in the hotel rooms to drink out of.
- I made a request to the front desk for a new comforter or blanket because there was hair all over our extra blanket. He said right away sir and hung up the phone. My wife called 45 minutes later to check up on the status of why we had not been brought a blanket, and the same front desk manager acting very rude and said that there were none available. He then commented that we should turn down the air if we were too cold!
-The hotel is very under staffed and not what it was when it was first built. I would think twice about staying at this hotel in the future.

I have stayed here atleast twice a year for the last 3 years. Do youself a favor and look elsewhere within Sandestin.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelerNate
Reviewed June 17, 2009

Usually the tripadvisor ratings are spot on, but you guys missed this one by a mile.

I have no idea how this hotel is ranked number 2 in Destin, especially at $200 per night.. I would never go back to Destin if all the "other" hotels are ranked lower than this one.

1. The breakfast staff was a joke. We stood there waiting for over 15 minutes to get a table, (there were at least 5 unused but dirty tables) while the staff walked around looking busy, but not doing anything. We were so upset that we decided not to eat there any other day. Also, the food was sub-par and there was only 1 waffle maker for 50+ people eating at the same time?

2. The address listed on all the literature does not show up in any GPS. (the front desk person even told us this) Also, this is actually Mirimar Beach, not Destin like it advertises.

3. The phone service would not allow us to connect with the front desk on at least 5 occasions, including a call from the room. It kept recycling back to the initial automated message. Very annoying.

4. The TV is in a bad place and basically did not allow you to watch it from bed. It is hidden behind the armoir and you have to watch it at a 45 degree angle.

5. Elevators were unbelievibly SLOW.

One good thing is you are basically considered a "sandestin beach resort" guest so you can charge things to your room and you get a parking pass to get inside the resort grounds.

Most of the overpriced businesses, hotels, restaurants we visited in Destin has a "I don't give a [--] attitude" I would like a simple thank you after spending $150 for a dinner or $15 for a glass (of $10 per bottle) wine, but the employees in general really didn't seem to care.

I was wondering why Destin was nicknamed "The Redneck Riviera" and now I know why.

I am giving this hotel a terrible rating hopefully to knoch it down a few notches where it belongs.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple