“Just OK!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Destin
meridian
“Just OK!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

I actually booked this room through Priceline - maybe that's why i didn't receive any requests such as a balcony or pool view room. I was told there were none available. However, there were rooms with no lights on - i feel like they were open.
Anyway - my first time in Sandestin was enjoyable. This hotel is very easy to find and get in & out of. Extremely SLOW elevator - take the stairs if you're going down... I wish they had a refrigerator - only a "chiller". The room was kind of tight for just the three of us. Just not laid out real well. BUT, it was clean - no complaints there. The breakfast was a joke - way overpriced - go down the road to waffle house.
However, the pool was great - 5 yrd old loved it. The hot tub was so hot you could hardly stand to put your leg in it - dont know what was up with that.
Pretty good hotel - I've had better. You did get the parking pass to go back into the Baytown Wharf & private beach - that was cool. If you are going to go to the beach - GO EARLY or you will have to park way the heck away from the beach - way to far to drag your stuff.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank dswainbishop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
alpharetta, ga
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2009

We went to Destin for a little R&R for a 2 night stay. I was very disappointed with this hotel, not up to Marriott standards. The rooms carpet was filthy, after the maid came in next day (around 4 pm!) we found sand in both of the beds that night! Really weird since we sure didnt get it there!! We had called because the maid hadnt come by 3:30 pm... maybe she was mad?! The tram service to the beach can be a long wait, better to drive yourself over there. You can park easily especially if you go early. Breakfast at the hotel was just ok, overpriced at 11.00 per person. Would not stay here again..

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2009

We stayed at this hotel twice on our way to and from Orlando. Both times the staff were helpful and friendly. That was all the staff...front desk, waitresses, bartender and cleaning staff. I had dealings with them all and they were professional and helpful.
The decor is very nice and clean. There are blackout curtains...the towels are not dirty and thin. The bathroom is a generous size. The studio was a little tight for our family of 2 adults and 2 children. There are suites so maybe they are bigger. In a way I can picture this hotel in London...I'm not sure the design is the best fit for Destin, where so many families come. We got a good price of 167.00 and compared with the rest of Destin a little tightness was something we could deal with. The elevator is slow..but makes for good conversation with other guests. The best was being able to use the Sandestin beaches because you are a guest here. It is an amazing resort. All in all, a very nice hotel, more designed for business travelers but tries to do its best for families.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank roseofsharon2
Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2009

There must be new management at this hotel, but as of right now, I would rate as maybe a 2 star hotel just because it is part of Sandestin. I have stayed at this hotel many times over the years, and it is definitely going down hill.
-Upon arriving, I was very polite with front desk manager, and he was very brash and rude in response to my questions and comments.
-The hotel has started using very thin towels that always look and smell dirty. The housekeeping staff is no longer friendly and accommodating with requests.
-They no longer provide glasses in the hotel rooms to drink out of.
- I made a request to the front desk for a new comforter or blanket because there was hair all over our extra blanket. He said right away sir and hung up the phone. My wife called 45 minutes later to check up on the status of why we had not been brought a blanket, and the same front desk manager acting very rude and said that there were none available. He then commented that we should turn down the air if we were too cold!
-The hotel is very under staffed and not what it was when it was first built. I would think twice about staying at this hotel in the future.

I have stayed here atleast twice a year for the last 3 years. Do youself a favor and look elsewhere within Sandestin.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravelerNate
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

Usually the tripadvisor ratings are spot on, but you guys missed this one by a mile.

I have no idea how this hotel is ranked number 2 in Destin, especially at $200 per night.. I would never go back to Destin if all the "other" hotels are ranked lower than this one.

1. The breakfast staff was a joke. We stood there waiting for over 15 minutes to get a table, (there were at least 5 unused but dirty tables) while the staff walked around looking busy, but not doing anything. We were so upset that we decided not to eat there any other day. Also, the food was sub-par and there was only 1 waffle maker for 50+ people eating at the same time?

2. The address listed on all the literature does not show up in any GPS. (the front desk person even told us this) Also, this is actually Mirimar Beach, not Destin like it advertises.

3. The phone service would not allow us to connect with the front desk on at least 5 occasions, including a call from the room. It kept recycling back to the initial automated message. Very annoying.

4. The TV is in a bad place and basically did not allow you to watch it from bed. It is hidden behind the armoir and you have to watch it at a 45 degree angle.

5. Elevators were unbelievibly SLOW.

One good thing is you are basically considered a "sandestin beach resort" guest so you can charge things to your room and you get a parking pass to get inside the resort grounds.

Most of the overpriced businesses, hotels, restaurants we visited in Destin has a "I don't give a [--] attitude" I would like a simple thank you after spending $150 for a dinner or $15 for a glass (of $10 per bottle) wine, but the employees in general really didn't seem to care.

I was wondering why Destin was nicknamed "The Redneck Riviera" and now I know why.

I am giving this hotel a terrible rating hopefully to knoch it down a few notches where it belongs.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MikeLentini
U.S.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2009

Okay, I hate to post a negative review. But I just have to set the record strait here, seeing how this hotel comes in at the top of the list. ?????

First thing I noticed is that the 'attractiveness' factor of our room was NON existant. NO thought to interior design, at all. I am talking an awful camel/orangey carpet... No nice drapes, just sheers that are also that awful camel/orangey color. everything in the room was this color. An awful monochromatic presentation. Even the light wood of the furnishings and wood tables, mini closet, etc... was a light wood with that camel/orange cast. It was simply NOT interior designed to be attractive or visually pleasing at all.

The carpet was filthy.... not just unvaccuumed, but sticky and stained.
Maybe there was a family with messy kids in the room right before us...
doesn't matter. In a marriott, you should not have filthy carpet

We had one of the larger rooms... and even it was NOT big enough for 4. One small sitting chair... that's it... no table... no love seat, no closet space... small bath.

To put it bluntly, this hotel has missed the mark on MANY fronts.
It is located at an upscale, family, beach resort...
And, it is NOT geared for either families, or the beach. : (
Far from it.

It is designed for one, single, six foot tall, male, business traveler.

One tiny bath.. Not even a full sized tub...
The one tiny sink is IN the bath. (one person at a time only)
NO closet space... just a tiny framed up armoire type shelf... again, room for one.

I am a woman on the short side...
The counter and one tiny basin in the bathroom was installed at an unacceptable height that might accommodate a person almost 6 foot tall or more. I could not even lean over the basin to brush my teeth... had to actually tiptoe and lean up over it, getting water, etc.. on my clothing. Applying makeup.... good luck.... Kids... forgettaboutit!!!

Okay, back to the fact that this is not geared for a family beach location...
No minifridge. If you see one listed... be aware that it is really a very tiny mini-cooler, and doesn't even really get cold. We actually thought it was a small safe. That is how useless the thing is. We used our cooler.

No microwave... People were having to go downstairs and line up to use the one that is for the snacks in their sundry store.

No coffeemaker. Just one of those tiny one-cup things....

No continental breakfast at all.... Ummm, like a family wants to pay the ridiculous highway robbery price for a family to eat in their lobby.
Yeah right... geared for the single business traveler with an expense account.

They actually have a nice little pool area.
But the hot-tub was scummy and foamy. Didn't go near it.

Honestly, I simply had to post because I do not see why this hotel is showing up at the top of the list here. I feel compelled to tell it as I saw it.

To people who are traveling to this hotel on pre-arranged business, this review will not make a difference.

But, to anyone who has a choice, I think they should know that truth, and that they might be happier paying a bit more for much better options.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Wishingonastar
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

Pros: well-appointed rooms--good decor. if you want to take advantage of the sandestin resort area, the location is good. clean.

Cons: if you are trying to be in Destin proper (beaches, etc.) this is not the best choice--it was about 10 miles beyond the city itself in an upscale resort area. we got a good price for the room quality ($90 for 3 people) but had stayed in a Holiday Inn in Ocean Springs, Mississippi the night before for the same price and thought it had better service and came with breakfast. Bkfst here was additional and we felt a lof of the restaurants around the area were a bit pricey (go to the Donut Hole down the road for a cheap (if unhealthy!) breakfast).

decent hotel overall--I think we would have been more impressed had we not had such a great experience the night before for less money!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family