“Weekend Beach stay”

Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Jackson, Mississippi
“Weekend Beach stay”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights very recently for a little getaway. We arrived an hour before check-in. Since a room was available, we were checked in immediately.

We have a small family, so all of us were able to fit into one king bed comfortably, so we stayed in a one room suite (vs their 2 bedroom suites). The price was comparable to many of the other hotels in the area for the month of July.

Pros:
*room and bed were clean
*breakfast included in price--fruit, yogurt, bagels, muffins, toast, cereal, oatmeal, grits, scrambled eggs, potatoes, ham or sausage, waffle maker, coffee, milk, juice. (We love food and, yes, I tend to remember the types!!)
*free wi-fi during stay
*parking all around the hotel so easy to get to your room
*housekeeping responded right away on first day when we asked for extra towels
*Forgot to take our "privacy" sign down one morning and left the room. When we returned early afternoon, we received a courtesy call asking us if we would like our room cleaned before housekeeping left for the day.
*clean kitchen--full-size refrigerator, sink, utensils, dishes, paper towel, liquid dish detergent, powder detergent for dishwasher, towels, dish rag, complimentary microwave popcorn
*located right off Hwy 98, and what we felt like was a bit cleaner and maybe "newer" side of the highway (though we could be mistaken)
*location is right by Grand Boulevard Town center (has Publix if you need some groceries)

Cons: These are all minor, but I'll mention them as some of you could find them more than minor annoyances.....
*WEBSITE BOOKING AND PROFESSIONALISM/FRIENDLINESS: At check-in, I was asked if it was only 2 guests. I told her no. Admittedly, I booked only 2 guests online. As I mentioned above, our kids are small enough to fit in the bed with us. When I entered 4 guests, the only choice the website gave us was 2 bedrooms and, of course, a higher price. We would've wasted the extra bedroom, and I knew that another family needing it could book it during this busy season. Well, when I admitted to the staff that I only booked as 2, I felt this explanation was long and at that point it didn't matter since it was done. Plus she didn't ask me why I did such, but she just said in an increased tone that they do a breakfast headcount so it was good to know. However she added that since the number of guests did not exceed their maximum per room, we wouldn't be charged like at other hotels. I didn't know whether she was seeming to do us a favor or patronizing me. Unfortunately, to me, she seemed a bit patronizing. She also placed us in a room right by the highway (potential noise for light sleepers). All the rest of the staff seemed much friendlier. Anyway, their website could use some adjustment like asking about children's ages and adjusting room accommodations.
*ROOM PLACEMENT: room right by the highway. Luckily, for the most part, we sleep soundly. If you're a light sleeper, ask for rooms away from the highway.
*SERVICE: As mentioned above, we kindly received a call when we forgot to take down our privacy sign. We were asked if we needed anything, which we asked for extra towels right then. Did not receive them after 15-20 minutes. Another call had to be put in.
*satellite tv loses signal during potential thunderstorm

OVERALL: again, these cons can be minor annoyances to some, major to others. We enjoyed our stay overall and would recommend this hotel. Thanks to all the hardworking staff!

Room Tip: Rooms by the highway can be noisy.
1 Thank travelingpatts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Lawrenceville GA
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I recently stayed at this property for some R&R. the room I stayed in was the 2 bedroom suite. We had a great deal of room in the suite. The room had a fully functionally kitchen which saved the day.The bathrooms were clean and fresh smelling.

The internet at the property was a bit slow but it worked.

The breakfast and managers reception (6-7:30 PM) was great. It would be great idea if the hotel offered the reception Monday –Friday.

I want to thank the staff members at this property. The entire staff was a joy to work with and are a true credit to their trades. On arrival I was given some pretty good tidbits of advice and some great suggestions.

The beach was awesome on the first day. But after that the “june grass (if you are not familiar with this pheomeon see the link http://www.pcbdaily.com/what-is-june-grass)” appeared on the beach. This made it a bit unpleasant to be on the beach.

Piece of advice the beach is near so plan ahead. The beaches on 30A are less busy than the beaches we visited on 98.

Good luck and safe travels.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Tania K, General Manager at Residence Inn Sandestin at Grand Boulevard, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I am glad that you had a great stay with us and that our staff was able to ensure the highest levels of comfort and cleanliness. I am happy to announce that we will soon be offering tiered access to upgraded internet speeds at our property - with the basic internet access remaining complimentary. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit to our area and I hope that you will come back soon!
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 10, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel...est of town and close to Baytowne Wharf. We stayed in a two-bedroom suite. Very pretty rooms, spotless, spacious & comfortable, with a full kitchen. The best thing about this hotel is the INCREDIBLE SERVICE! Everywhere we went there was someone offering to help with something. Very friendly & accommodating staff! The breakfast was delicious every morning with plenty to choose from. I would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here again!

6 Thank SherryR705
Thank you so much for sharing your experience!! I am pleased that a seasoned online reviewer such as yourself found our property clean, comfortable and welcoming! I will share your post with the entire team and I know that they will love it. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of our location right outside the Sandestin Resort with convenient distance to the Baytowne Wharf! Did you get a chance to shop and dine at Grand Boulevard right down the road as well? I look forward to having you stay with us again soon!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We have traveled and stayed at dozens of Residence Inn properties across America over the past 8 years and Residence Inn Sandestin is definitely at the top of the list for best! Warm and welcoming staff, modern and chic lobby, well laid out breakfast buffet with delicious selection and no crowding. The hotel is surrounded by beauty and a short walk to amazing restaurants and shopping. Our suite was spotless and beautifully decorated. Hope we get the chance to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Melissa S
Thank you so much for a lovely post! I am glad that you enjoyed our recently renovated Gatehouse. Our goal is to provide you with excellent service and I am happy that our staff was able to take care of you. I hope that you will be able to stay with us again soon!
New Delhi, India
Reviewed June 29, 2014

My stay of around seven months at this hotel was indeed very comfortable and I felt like at home all the time. The location is very beautiful and it is in close vicinity to Miramar beach, Silversand outlets, State park and Baytown.

Room Tip: There are four floors, choose whichever you like
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Sanjay221
Tania K, General Manager at Residence Inn Sandestin at Grand Boulevard, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at our hotel! I am happy to see that we were able to make you feel comfortable and that you enjoyed your stay. I appreciate you taking the time to write a post about us and we all look forward to having you stay with us again!
Deatsville, Alabama
Reviewed June 3, 2014

My family and I visited this Residence Inn in 2x this year and I am more that pleased on how clean the rooms were and the excellent full breakfast every morning. The staff was very pleasant and they greeted you coming in and going out of the hotel. They' re small things that happened that were addressed with prompt assistance.. I recommend this stay to anyone visiting and need a hotel.

Room Tip: 2nd floor quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank 27mariaj
Tania K, General Manager at Residence Inn Sandestin at Grand Boulevard, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
I am so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time with us! Thank you for choosing to stay with us twice this year. I appreciate you sharing your compliments on the cleanliness, breakfast and staff service. I hope that you will be able to return to us again this year!
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stayed here for a couple of days while conducting business in Destin. This suite was very comfortable and quiet. The location is right in the middle of things. If you want to visit the beach, play golf, or shop then you are just a short drive away. The free breakfast buffet was very good. They also served an afternoon buffet however I didn't get to participate.
The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. Next time I have business in Destin I will be staying here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business