“Great place to stay!”

Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Otto, North Carolina
“Great place to stay!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Four of us stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment. It was spacious and we had everything we needed. The staff were wonderful. They went above and beyond to assist us and always greeted us with a smile and a hello. The breakfast buffet was great also. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor facing the highway but we were not bothered by any noise. There were pet...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Stuttgart
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I enjoyed the stay in this top updated and maintained hotel in a two bedroom suite. I asked for a room away from the street, on a higher floor and I got it.
Also my request for a feather free room was accepted. The only topic was the smell for pets in my room.
The hotel is near to a Golf Place and you are in 10 minutes per walk at the beach.
The breakfast area was very crouded, but all things where very fast filled up again.

The topic which I don´t liked and what me as a customer will make never come back is the issue with the pets in the house. I knew from other visits at Residence inn in other locations, that pets are allowed. What I saw in this hotel topped this. There is no clear image how they handle the access to the rooms for customer with pets. Where ever I sat outside or walked in the floors I saw people with big dogs. Some of them where very huge. Why do their policy allow that this happens? It is very ugly for me to think when I lay in my bed , that there was a dog before in, or in the shower. I don´t feel that they can clean all this up.

Room Tip: away from the street un a higher floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank BoonyGermany
tripree
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We recently stayed on reward points for two nights for my husband's deep sea fishing birthday excursion. Lovely property with incredible landscaping and top-notch adjacent dining and shopping within walking distance. Our king one bedroom was smaller than other RI's we've stayed at, but it was fine. A previous occupant's pet had damaged the bathroom door and we were greeted by an unusual chemical/pet deodorizer aroma when we arrived, but cracking the windows for a couple of hours eliminated this problem.

Breakfast is full of enough cold and hot options to please any pallet. But what really struck us was the multi-cultural and multi-national, incredibly accomodating and friendly staff. I would stay again based solely on the staff.

Room Tip: If you don't have pets, avoid the first floor- that's where they put the pet owners and you...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tripree
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a recount of past stay in this beautiful hotel during last holidays in Florida. We have a situation during our first night when a dog kept barking next room. We complained to the front desk and they quickly moved us to a quieter room and the manager apologized immediately and sent us a bottle of complimentary wine.

We loved their quality of breakfast and their friendly kitchen staff. The closeness to Baytown Wharf and Sandestine Resort is certainly a big plus.

Room Tip: Away from Highway 98 will be preferred.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sweson Y
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We booked a two bedroom suite at the Residence Inn Sandestin in late April for 5 days. Check in was very smooth and the staff was professional. I read the other reviews about the highway noise so I asked if our room was facing the highway and was told no..Yay! The grounds are kept really nice and clean as well as the lobby and hallways. When we arrived in our room we saw that it had a good layout especially for a family.

We enjoyed our stay, we found the breakfast was enjoyable. Erica and the gentleman helping her (Daniel? I forgot his name..sorry) in the morning were very pleasant and helpful; always smiling. I noticed that patrons would come by to say goodbye to them before checking out. If you wanted a special waffle made, they would glady make it for you. Their service gives it a plus! Also,my husband stayed up in the wee hours of the morning doing homework in the lobby and he said that the night front desk staff went above and beyond to see if he needed anything like fresh coffee to help him stay awake while he studied.

We used the laundry services and it was clean and reasonably priced. Also, the access to the resort and the resort beach is also a plus. We enjoyed our stay overall and would stay again. We found it to be a good deal for the price.

To give a fair review, I have to mention the things that they can improve on. As far as housekeeping, they came the first day and then on the second day we put a sign up not to be disturbed but they knocked anyway. We spent the day on the beach and when we returned there was a note saying that although we asked not to be disturbed, the hotel has to account for guest daily. (Not sure what to make of that one) The shower in the bathroom did not shut off completely but dripped. There was a full kitchen but the stove burners were not working properly and the ovens burner was bent causing it to heat unevenly but we dealt with it as we only cooked one meal.

We did not use the pool but spoke to another guest who swam with his children and he said that the kids enjoyed it. They were young kids under 6..as the pool is somewhat small. We used the gym but for the size of the inn, this really needs an upgrade. My husband and I were up at 6am to workout and there was only one bike, one treadmill and one stair climber.The problem here is that the bike and the stair climber didnt work. While we were there other guest came to use the facilities but couldnt as they dont have enough working equipment.

Like I stated before, I will book again next time I am in the area. It was a very pleasant stay!

Room Tip: Like others have stated before, request a room away from the highway.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MsDeal
Owens Cross Roads, AL
Reviewed May 22, 2013

The hotel is nice. The rooms are clean (when you arrive), the pool is small, but clean.
The free breakfast is also good. We went the week before Memorial Day Weekend and it was not very crowded.

Most of the staff was very nice and helpful, except housekeeping. We stayed for 5 nights and they only cleaned our room once. We usually left from 9am-noon and again after 2pm. The first day they came knocking at 3pm and I asked them to come back in 30 mins (the cleaning schedule says they are there until 4:30pm) and she never came back. They cleaned the room the next morning and never bothered again. I asked one morning for toilet paper and towels and never came. I called twice and I never got it. I had to go to one of their carts while they were cleaning to get some toilet paper.

I found the only way to get extra towels was to call after housekeeping hours. I made sure to call in the evenings and they would always bring them fast to our room.

We were debating whether or not stay in a condo or not, but I chose to stay here because I refuse to clean on vacation, but after this experience with the cleaning staff, I'm not sure I will make the same decision next time we go to Sandestin.

Also, we stayed a couple times before at The Courtyard (next to Residence Inn) and they used to have access to the Sandestin Resort beaches. This time we were told this hotel does not have access to it and we had to drive a little bit further to go to the beach.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nanisnanis
Oris R, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Sandestin at Grand Boulevard, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to Trip Advisor, as we value the comments of all our guests. Please accept my deepest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay. Please be assured, your concerns will be addressed with our management team to ensure we are providing exceptional services to each guest.
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I'm not usually a fan of staying off the beach but this hotel has such a friendly staff that it made up for not having beachfront views! The management and front desk staff made sure that we were completely comfortable. I was amazed that they remembered our names and greeted us by name every time we passed through in the lobby! The breakfast staff were some of the kindest people I have ever met in the service industry. They have access to beach at Sandestin golf resort but the beach there is crowded and not very clean but that's okay because 1) it's nice that they even have beach access and 2) there are several nice public spots to play in this area. This is also right next to Baytowne Wharf and Silver Sands outlet mall. The full kitchens were awesome, updated and clean. The beds were amazingly comfortable and the staff was extra friendly about bringing and helping us set up a portable crib. We will defintely be back to this spot.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family