“Wow”
Review of Mainsail Resort

Mainsail Resort
Ranked #29 of 55 Specialty Lodging in Destin
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Stayed in unit 1184 and it was wonderful! Could not have asked for more or better. Going back the first week of May and staying in a Gulf Front view condo! Can't wait

Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed May 26, 2009

This is a nice complex. We stayed in #341. Very nicely decorated with modern furniture including flat screens, view of the beach and pool. A little further away from Destin than I have stayed before but quieter and not so crowded. I would stay here again just maybe in a different room with a better view of the ocean.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2008

I have stayed at Mainsail 3 times, both in 2 bedroom condo.
You are not as close to the beach as you are in a 3 bedroom, but the way the condos are angled, you have an awesome view of the ocean.
The rooms I've stayed in were awesome. Be sure and ask for a Platinum room.. not any difference in price.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank LuckyUs3
Reviewed July 5, 2008

My husband's working buddy offered his condominium to us for Father's day weekend. We spent four wonderful days at one of the nicest condominiums I have ever seen. We were in building 4 two floors up.

Elevators were quick. Unloading area was right by the elevator. Push carts and garment racks were readily available. Pools were great (nice & clean), although we did not swim in them. When you have the beach who wants to swim in the pool? We have a pool at home anyway. LOL! My twins loved the game room. Shuffle board and tennis courts were available, too.

Our three bedroom, three bath condominium was gorgeous. Decorated with all the seashore / beach items. Beach view was not straight out, as the building was 'long ways'. Could see beach from patio looking to the left. Two beach chairs and an umbrella were available per the owner, which we definitely took advantage of.

Went to Pompano Joe's Seafood House one night and had a GREAT meal. We started with the oysters on a half shell (little pricey) but cold and delicious.

Mainsail is definitely the place to stay in Destin.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank lynnestwins
Reviewed June 14, 2008

Prior to booking our vacation we checked on line for a condo on the beach at a reasonable price. We located Resort Quest Mainsail. The price was reasonable and it looked nice on line. We looked at some of the reviews on line after we had booked our trip. We started having 2nd thought but we went ahead with our trip.

In one review they complained about the parking (owners have the best parking and they had to walk a long wayt to the elevator) we discovered that this was true but it wasn't a big deal, you drove up off loaded your things then drove 100ft to the covered parking garage. I believe the owners should have the good parking they are paying a whole lot more than we did. In the same review they complained about the traffic light near the condo. It was a little quick but when you learn the back way out of there on old 98 there wasn't a problem. Also you are on vacation be patient.

When we checked in at the Resort Quest office our room wasn't ready yet. It wasn't their fault we was attempting to check in early. We gave them our cell phone number and they called us when it was availible. We still checked in 2 hrs early.

The only problem we had on the trip was the key cards they gave to us would deactivate on us. For the most part it was only a small inconvenience.

The rooms were decorated nice and the place was very clean. To our surprise they had beach toys and a couple beach chairs in the closet. This came in handy for the kids.

The pool was medium sized but it was never too crowded. The nice thing about it was later in the day the building would shade it and after being on the beach all day you can relax in the shade.
There is a nice kiddy pool and hot tub. Even though we didn't use them there was gas grills by the pool that can be used by the guest to cook meals. I learned the pool area had been renovated recently. (it was very nicely done)

Beach access was just a short walk down either of the two wood decks. The beach was great. We had access to two beach chairs and an umbrella free(resort quest). The only problem we had was with a couple crabs and a few jelly fish but that just goes with being in the ocean. Walkingback to the condo there was several showers to use to remove the sand.

Some other things i liked about Resort Quest Mainsail was you got two dvd rentals a day free. All you had to do was go to the office and exchange them and also when you unloaded your luggage you had not only luggage carts but also push carts. The push carts really came in handy for taking your groceries up to the room.

All and all i give the Main Sail condo a thumbs up.

The Smith Family 6-14-2008

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank bigkat4521
Reviewed April 1, 2008

We just returned from Spring Break at Mainsail booked through FunDestin and we had a wonderul and memorable family vacation. Our condo was even better than expected and offered everything we needed in order to have a relaxing vacation with the comforts of home. The beach at Mainsail is uncrowded and chairs can be rented daily if needed. The pool was nice, one heated, one not and a decent hot tub. Parking was somewhat of a walk as Owners get preferred parking but it was not big deal to walk from the covered garage. We will return to Mainsail.

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank STURGISFAMILY
Reviewed May 22, 2006

I stayed in the condo portion in building 2.

I arrived a couple of weeks after the beach renourishment and was simply amazed by the beach. The promised new pool area for the condos was a month and a half late and no one bothered to tell me until the Friday before arrival, and even then I had to contact them to find out. It looks pretty just could not use it, got to enjoy the 10 hours of construction noise per day though, charming. Was given the opportunity to use the overheated pool by the cottages, well away from the beach and condos, oh joy. Nothing like a walk past a construction zone, dumpsters and a large parking lot to make one ready for a 90 degree pool with a little bit of furniture thrown around it. Management apparently works under the assumption that their adhoc accomdations were suitable and I had no room to complain.

My unit was terrific, except for the view where the pool should have been. I would say every condo has some sort of view of the gulf, unfortunatley for 90% of the units your view will be a partial view. Most units I was able to look into were very dated and cheaply furnished. Access to the beach is good though with no streets to cross. Parking is very poor with good parking reserved for the owners who are gone most of the time. Guest parking, even though you may be paying thousands of $ is some distance away with no accomodations made for unloading nearer the elevators to the units. Most of the legal parking is covered though. It appears that there would not be enough parking for the number of units. I was there just before the begining of the busy season so I am just guessing.

Access to the resort is difficult. The traffic engineer for Walton County should be strung up for the traffic light timing for hwy 98 (the hwy getsa 3 1/2 minutes of green irregardless of traffic, the other directions get at most 20-30 seconds, and even then they do not get arrow help for turns). The access drive for Mainsail is just a few feet away from the traffic signal at old and new hwy 98. The line of people on old 98 waiiting to pull out on new 98 or to go straight through to the outlet mall makes it extremly difficult to even get into and out-of of Mainsail. Once there though the property is fairly low key and quiet. I appreciate the security gate.

I can name at least 6 other properties I would consider to be competitors to the Mainsail property. I would choose each and every one of them over Mainsail. Vacation time is too short to have to mess with the frustrations of this place at this price.

• Stayed: May 2006
25  Thank Moost
Also consider these accommodations in or near Destin
Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach
Resorts of Pelican Beach
Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort
Sundestin Beach Resort
Sundestin Beach Resort
#18 of 55 in Destin
Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa
Residence Inn by Marriott Sandestin at Grand Boulevard

Been to Mainsail Resort? Share your experiences!