“Wonderful place to sit, eat and enjoy the food and view!”
Review of Pompano Joe's

Pompano Joe's
Ranked #35 of 310 Restaurants in Destin
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Pompano Joe's opened its doors in 1995 and quickly became known for their unique Caribbean style of seafood. Since then, it has become a destination restaurant for tourists and a favorite among the locals. The Caribbean flair shines through from our famous Reggae Rolls and Garlic Crusted Grouper to the brightly colored window frames that line the walls of our open-air restaurant. In 2013, we opened the second Pompano Joe's location at Pier Park in Panama City Beach, FL. When visiting Destin, South Walton or Panama City Beach, we hope you stop in and enjoy the great food, refreshing drinks and the best view on the Gulf Coast.
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We ate here for lunch because the night before we had stopped, but there was a 2 hour wait and we have 2 small kids, so that was out, but we walked in and sat right down at lunch.
Our waiter, Otis, was great and very attentive. Our drinks were never dry and he was able to make good suggestions about our meal choices. I got a baked fish with lobster sauce. You could actually see the lobster in the sauce and it was wonderful. My MIL got a scallop pasta with very good sized, sweet and clean scallops. My husband and FIL got a broiled sampler platter which was HUGE and had shrimp, scallops and Mahi Mahi. GREAT FOOD! My husband also ordered their "world famous pineapple slaw" which was really good. They both also got the black beans and rice which had a really good flavor as well. At the end of the meal, I ordered the coconut cake and it was large, moist and very tasty. My in laws got the Key Lime pie with a graham cracker crust and liked it a lot. The view was outstanding and with the window open the breeze was very nice. This was our best meal of the trip and we ate a lot of good places. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,055)

Reviewed August 3, 2008

My family loved this place-- how can you beat a restaurant right on the water with a wonderful casual atmosphere? The blackened amberjack was awesome!

Reviewed July 28, 2008

I have to admit that the location was perfect and the fact that we could walk from our house to this restaurant was a definite plus. Parking seemed to be a huge problem and there always seemed to be a wait although for 2 people we were seated right away. The food was average-we had the amberjack which was good, but not anything to get too excited about. The service was above average as well.

Reviewed July 27, 2008

First of all, I think the atmosphere was pretty cool, with our table having a great view of the ocean. If not for this, I'd have to say this place is one to avoid. I can see why some would rate this place high, just for that reason. But as far as the food goes, I'd have to say this was the worst seafood place we ate in Destin. Before our meal we had about an hour wait. I was fine with this as it is Destin after all and waits are to be expected if you don't go to eat early. We went down to the little beach bar in the back and had a drink. Ordered a dozen oysters off of the menu, but they bartender said they no longer serve oysters in the back even though it's on the menu. Ordered some boiled shrimp instead, which he pulled out of the little mini fridge behind the bar. It was not fresh and should not have even been served. The food completely lacked in flavor. Once we got seated we ordered some oysters, shrimp, scallops and a fish that the waitress didn't even know what it was. I got the sampler plate and it said fish on it, so I asked the waitress what fish would it be? She said well, it could be any fish on the menu, they usually just use the scraps from the other fish dishes. She said it most likely would be amber jack, which I was fine with, but at the same time, why phrase it like that? Anyway, got some oysters as an appetizer, and they came out after the food. The same waitress said it wasn't her fault, even though she has made mistakes before. All of this info was unsolicited. That wasn't the biggest issue with me. The biggest issue was that the food came out luke warm, the food was covered in some red seasoning, but didn't have any flavor at all, and the fish was also overcooked.

I will not reccomend a place that has poor food, and not to swell service. However if you like tourist traps and a good view, this one is for you. Just plan on spending a lot of money on bad food, that you could have spent at another restaurant with the same view and had better luck as far as the food goes.

4  Thank Hogaddict
Reviewed July 24, 2008

As other have stated there will be a long wait if you don't get there early. We had about an hour wait, but it was well worth it.

The view of the ocean was outstanding.

The service that we recieved was excellent!

Overall I would highly recommend eating here if you visit Destin.

Best food in the entire area!