“Nice view, but that's about it”

AJ's Seafood & Oyster Bar
Ranked #84 of 312 Restaurants in Destin
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: To read about AJ’s is one thing... to experience it is another. Come see why AJ's Seafood & Oyster Bar has been the place to be on the Emerald Coast for nearly 30 years! Join us today! Doors open at 11:00 am! See you soon!
Reviewed April 9, 2013

AJ's is always busy and seems to be a popular place. The tiki bar is my favorite area, with a great view of the harbor. I wasn't impressed with the food though. It was ordinary and overpriced. This is a good place for drinking.....but not great for eating.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,163)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

On our first trip to Destin, we went to AJ's for Easter dinner. It was a chilly day and they had heaters on that they moved over to our table. We had very good Bloody Mary's but when I asked for it to come with a "Beer Chaser" and they had no idea what that was. The price for one dozen oysters was - IMO - expenisive espeically when you can go to Fort Walton and get them for $7/8 at a local bar but we did have some. The Crawfish boil was very good, quite spicy but full of crawfish. I would have liked a few more pieces of potato or sausage to be inlcuded but not complaining because I had my fill of crawfish. Oh - and by the way: the crawfish are whole so if you are squimish about that, either get over it and figure out how to eat them (pull head off, suck; peel off back shell and tail, eat!) or order something else.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Set at the bar and enjoy fresh oysters for $10 a dozen. Meet some of the locals too. Tv's on with sports. Willie will shuck your oysters right there. Be sure to try the house hot sauce.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stopped one afternoon for dinner after walking the boardwalk. There was a long line in front of us but suprisingly, it moved very quick and we only waited maybe 10 minutes to be seated. This restaruant is right on the docks, so it has a wonderful view of the harbor and ships coming and going. Very casual atmosphere.Our waiter was prompt and courteous, we had a sampler appetizer that was incredible. Our meals were OK but not as good as the appetizer. Overall, it was a nice meal and we will return when in Destin again.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I generally give a restaurant 2 tries before I form an opinion. I had been to AJ's before and was not a fan but decided to try it again. Still not a fan. It is a great setting right on the dock with a wonderful view of the water and boats. The menu was "typical tourist food". We started with grilled oysters and these were the most pitiful little things I had ever seen. My husband and son ordered a broiled plater which included oysters, shrimp, fish, scallops and stuffed crab. The portions were extremely small especially for a still growing 6'5" boy. I had the grilled snapper and it was ok but just ok. We went early to avoid the Spring Break crowd or we would have had to wait an hour. The worst part was the check...over $100. I happily pay for a good meal that we can all enjoy but we weren't happy about that. This was more like a $45 meal.....that I could have prepared (better!) myself. Next year we will cross AJ's off the list.