“Huge Rooms”

Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Destin
State Center, Iowa
“Huge Rooms”
Reviewed January 30, 2011

We stayed at the Wingate for 3 nights. Got a great rate through Priceline. The rooms were twice the size that we expected. I don't know if they are all that large--maybe they gave us a suite. The room and the entire facility was very clean and comfortable. Great breakfast, also. Our room was on the third floor because they were remodeling the first and second floors. January is low season so there weren't many people there. Nice location--about 1/2 block off highway 98 and right across the road from the beach which was beautiful.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DaleJane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Missouri City, Texas
Reviewed October 27, 2010

My husband and I really enjoyed our 3-day stay here and will be staying here every time we return to Destin! The staff at the check-in counter was always friendly and the cleaning staff was wonderful! We received extra pillows and extra towels minutes within our request for them. We loved the fresh, warm out of the oven Otis Spunkmeyer cookies greeting us every day at 3:00 p.m. at the check-in counter. The complimentary breakfast buffet was great and always refilled and constantly checked on by the staff. We did not find the beds hard at all like some other reviewers had stated. The only thing I would change is I wish the outdoor was heated as it was too cold to swim in in the evenings, but the hot tub was wonderful! I would also recommend that ladies bring their own hair dryers from home if they have long hair like me because the tiny hair dryer in the room took forever to dry my long hair. Trip Advisor has never steered us wrong and we're so glad we followed their excellent recommendation! After we returned home from our trip, it was also a nice touch to receive a postcard from the hotel in the mail for a 15% discount off of our next stay with them. We will definitely be using it next visit! Keep up the great job, Wingate! See you soon!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank neilandmar
West Tennessee
Reviewed October 12, 2010

The hotel is in a secluded location off the main hwy 98. Very nice hotel, pool, hot tub. They keep the facilities clean and have a very nice breakfast. The listing for the tv channels was outdated .. had to call to find out what channel HBO was on. When the wind blew from the north the water (sewage) treatment smell behing the hotel would come in through the air conditioner. It was a horrible smell.. nothing they can do about it.
The hotel's sign our front needs to be made into an illumindated sign.. folks don't even know the hotel is there. You can go behind Wynn/Dixie to get to the back airline road to avoid getting out on HWY 98 and the traffic. Beds were comfortable enough, large room.. hotel has been there 5 years.. they need a better sign at 98 indicating the hotel is there. Still has the sand dunes and trees,etc. around the facility so makes it kind of quiet and secluded. You can walk to the grocery store, there is a new Chinese buffett that you can walk to (Fuji sushi and buffet)... Target is in walking distance across the parking lot.
Big Kahuna is within walking distance.. like next door to the hotel. Rooms have microwave and coffee makers, fridge.. nice to have if you plan on eating in room some. Nice big desk for computer hookups.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank memixerWestTennessee
Cinton, TN
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Rooms were average size. Amenities were very nice and 24 hour coffee was a nice touch. However, they could have used a bigger pool. I was disappointed in the pool area and in the exercise room there was only one treadmill (out of service). The closest public beach was a 15 minute drive. Breakfast was decent at best. They need to do a better job of sound-proofing rooms. The people in floor above sounded like they were moving furniture all day and night. Luckily I got the room for 45.00 per night on price-line. Anymore and I would have been sick.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Alabama
Reviewed July 29, 2010

This is a very nice hotel! My only complaint is that it is NOT accessible to the beach. My husband & I had hoped to just cross the highway & be able to access the beach, but we found ourselves in a community of condos and beach homes with only gated beach access. However, public beach access is a short 5-10 minute drive away.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Cantonment, Florida
Reviewed June 10, 2010

This is a great Hotel to stay and enjoy the beautiful Destin beaches. I have stayed here more than 300 nights on business and everyone is very friendly from the manager Karen to the front desk staff Andy and Jessica . The rooms are always very, very clean thanks to Taffy and staff. Would highly recommend staying at the Windgate in Destin.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Russell34550
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed June 8, 2010

We stayed here because we stayed at other Wingates in other states. The hotel is out away from highway, which was ok. Except it was a little far to go to the beach. The staff were not very friendly; quite indifferent when we checked in. You think they would be happy to see customers considering the oil was threatening the coast any day. The facilities were clean, pool was adequate. The so called "Expanded breakfast" consisted of waffle irons, and all the other continental breakfast items. The mattresses are horrible, absolutely positively terrible. If you want to sleep comfortably, I wouldn't stay here. The springs on our bed were poking out in my side when I laid on my side, and they were so low to the ground and bouncy, I felt like I was a WCW wrestler. I was embarrassed to bring my wife, because I bragged about the beds in Wingate. Nothing but a cheap bed spread on the bed, with 3 cheap flat pillows for our King-size bed. Horrible five nights of trying to sleep. I made a comment on the Wingate corporate site, I doubt I will get any response or rectification.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple