“my stay in Destin,Florida” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wingate by Wyndham Destin

Wingate by Wyndham Destin
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Destin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Tallahassee, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed at Wingate 5/25 -5/27/13. I have went through their "Contact Us" tab on their home page to try to let them know about this situation, but unfortunately they LIMIT your comment to a certain # of characters. So I left them my contact information, but have yet to hear from them.

Here is the situation: We had been out on our boat all day and was at dinner when I decided to call them at 8:37pm to let them know we are still coming we will just be late getting there - probably after 10pm. Spoke to LaToya/LaTonya who answered the phone and she said no problem/that's fine. I called back at 11:13pm stating who I was and that we were on our way but was having difficulty finding the hotel. The lady on the phone gave me clear directions to the hotel. BUT, when we arrived is when our nightmare began. We were told they didn't have a room for us. I had my print out with me of my reservation (which I booked with AAA over the phone and they emailed my my confirmation/accomodations). They receptionist proceeded to tell me that my card that I booked with declined and since we didn't show up by 2pm, they cancelled our reservation. She said they tried call us. I then said "you tried to call us; at which number?" She then changed her story to they weren't able to reach us because they didn't have a phone number for us. She finally called her manager and again told us they didn't have a room. I was completely livid as I had a printout of our confirmation and had called twice and not once during one of those phone calls did someone say there was a problem with our reservation. She called her manager again who then offered us an upgraded room at $249 when our reserved rate was $179/night. We told her we were not paying an additional $70 when we were holding a confirmation for $179. She was very rude and was refusing to call her manager again. We demanded that she call her manager again, and they finally agreed to give us the room for $179. The room by the way that we walked into was NOT an upgraded room! It was the same type of room that we had booked: 2 beds with microwave and fridge...nothing extra special about it.
*Just want to mention this was NOT LaToya/LaTonya that we dealt with in person (I had only spoken to her on the phone at the 8:37 phone call). This girl working the check in desk on 5/25/13 at 11:15pm was one of the rudest people I have every dealt with in a customer service position.
***There is even a plaque posted behind the front desk (that we took a picture of) that says Check-in is at 3:00pm---so how did they think it was right to cancel my reservation since I had not shown up by 2:00PM---why would I since I couldn't have checked in for another hour???
We have traveled all over and have checked in many, many times LATE at night without difficulty.

We felt like they were just waiting for the next sucker/victim to walk in after a tiring day out on the beach NEEDING a room on very busy holiday weekend and they were going to offer our room out to them for $249

The receptionist should have responded like this: "Ms. Hall, I'm sorry for the mix up/confusion. It's late. We want to get you into a room where you can get more comfortable. I have a room available that'll we'll give you for the same rate you were quoted."

Customer Service out the Window just to try to make a few more bucks($$)......

Then to continue the horrible service.... When we got home I realized that I had misplaced a set of keys. I called the hotel to ask if they had been found there. The guy that answered the phone said something about a lost & found box but didn't offer to GO look in it but instead took my information and NEVER returned my call. A few days later when I called back, I was told that the housekeeping dept was over lost & found, and I was transferred to their voicemail. I left a voicemail regarding the lost keys but again, NEVER received a return phone call. Fortunately the keys were found a couple of days later.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
3 Thank LovinMyLife2
WingateDestin1, Front Office Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Destin, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for reaching out to us on Trip Advisor. We sincerely apologize for any miscommunication that occurred during your check in process and stay. As we discussed over the phone, this is not the norm for the Wingate by Wyndham in Destin, FL and out of good faith we would like to extend a certificate for a free 2 night stay in an effort that you give us another chance to accommodate you and your family in the near future. I will also contact Wyndham Customer Support to check on why your attempt to contact us online was not answered. We appreciate your feedback on Trip Advisor, and we will use your review to ensure that this does not happen again.
Paris, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Made reservations several months prior to coming in. Two days before arrival I called to pre pay and was told they would not honor the rate we rexerved. (State Gov. Rate) The said we would have to have military orders to get the rate. The rules on internet state you must have a valid State Gov. ID, which we had. Needless to say our vacation had to be cancelled due to them wanting almost $100 more a night. This was very unethical and I would discourage anybody from reserving rooms at this hotel. Also called winym and they said it was up to the local hotel whether or not they would honor rate. BEWARE!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Randy K
WingateDestin1, Front Office Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Destin, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for reaching out to us on Trip Advisor. We apologize for any confusion about our Government Rate Policies. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know what happen so this does not appear this way to someone else online. The Hotel sincerely apologizes that you did not get the chance come and enjoy Destin, FL. The Wingate by Wyndham hopes you will give us another chance to accommodate you in the future. Please contact me directly and I can make your reservation. Thank you again for the review.