“The Absolute Best Crew!”

Charter Boat Special K
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Charter Boat Special K is a custom Bertram Sportfish will take you on the fishing trip of a lifetime! Designed to accommodate up to 6 passengers with a large selection of custom fishing tackle, we provide a one-on-one charter fishing experience with personalized individual care.
Reviewed April 11, 2014

When we started fishing out of Destin many years ago, we just called and were put on whichever boat was next on rotation. NEVER again! Several years ago we were lucky enough to be booked on Andy's boat, the Special K. It was such a vastly different experience that we have never booked with anyone else. Andy is hands down the BEST. We have been on every length trip from 6 hours to an overnight trip. I landed a white marlin (catch & release) on the overnight trip and we caught such a vast array of fish that I had never caught or even seen before, but I assure you they were all delicious! If money and time were readily available, I'd opt for an overnight trip every time we go from now on! But for now, we're sticking with the 12 hour trips. My husband never has to ask what I want for birthdays or anniversaries...to go fishing on the Special K! Yep, I'm a lucky lady!

1  Thank Roni H
There are newer reviews for Charter Boat Special K

Reviewed December 1, 2013

My family has been fishing with Captain Andy for almost 20 years and have done everything from short day trips to overnight and multi-day trips. My love for fishing began when my dad began taking us out with Andy in 1995 and every trip since has strengthened my affinity for the sport. I spent summers in high school and college working on party and charter boats in SC, so I'm very familiar with the industry. I've worked with over a dozen captains on as many boats (never for Andy) and I can honestly say that Andy is one of the best fishermen I have ever fished with.

It's easy for captains and mates to fall into the trap of treating trips like "another day at the office"... regardless how much they love fishing. When you do it 150-200 days a year for a lifetime, it can be hard to get excited about catching routine fish that are special for customers who have never been out before or don't get to go very often. This is NOT the case with Andy. Captain Andy has always been the most excited one on the boat when we're catching fish, and the most determined to change it when we aren't. The man spends his time in the off-season looking for new fishing spots that he can take his customers to.

He and his crew are the best at what they do: catching fish and ensuring their customers have a great experience. Over the years we have fished with Andy overnight at oil rigs, on multi-day charters, and in big game tournaments and we've caught everything from 60 lb. Wahoo, Yellowfin Tuna, and Amberjack to Dolphin and King Mackerel to Grouper, and Snapper. There are no promises in fishing ("otherwise it would be called "catching"), but you can rest assured that Capt. Andy and his crew will do anything and everything to try and put you on the fish- In my 800 days on the water deep sea fishing, I've never seen anyone try harder. Match this with the expertise that comes from a lifetime of fishing out of the area, and you have the ideal charter boat captain.

Full disclosure: I have no business connection to this company, but Andy has become a friend through our repeat patronage. He did not ask me to write this review, but I used this site for a charter elsewhere in the country and I want to "pay it forward" and write this review in hopes that it steers some to Andy and the Special K. It really is to your benefit to fish with him.

3  Thank Clay T
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Captain Andy and the crew are hands down the best of the best. My wife and I were lucky enough to find the perfect team, to include the other guests / fisherman about two weeks ago during our vacation. Without a doubt, the entire Special K Team are experts at what they do and make everyone comfortable and a better fisherman (woman) in a short period of time, particularly us being novices. Of course we caught a great variety of species, and pretty large fish, while many other even larger ones may have got away. This was no fault of the crew, they work very hard, are very dedicated and Andy is a great Captain. His crew shows that through their passion and true determination through the end of the day - make each voyage better than the last, no doubt we left more than satisfied, and look forward to our next adventure.

Best team + state of the art tools / equipment + great determination / attitudes = great time everyday.

Andy, give my thanks to the team one more time.

Onwards - David and Kristen

1  Thank KKDWSKI
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have been out on this boat 3 times now. I love to fish when I am in Florida and I have been on several boats over the years, but I have found a home. Captain Vaughn and his crew always exceed my expectations. They work hard, they are good at there job, they make the trip fun and educational. They seem to enjoy what they do and that makes it easier for us to enjoy being there. Thanks again and we will be back.

1  Thank clemlawn
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Our 2nd trip on the Special K was just as good as the first. Not only was the fishing a blast, the crew made the trip fun for the whole family and was very interactive. I will absolutely be going again when the family comes down. Be bless Captain Andy, you are a great man.