“Callahan's - Excellent food and service”

Callahan's Restaurant & Deli
Ranked #31 of 310 Restaurants in Destin
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed March 5, 2007

We went to Callahan's numerous times while in Destin for a month. It was excellent and we never had to wait for a table at lunch time when we went at 11:30. Would recommend the Muffeletta sandwich, more than enough for two. The daily specials are also great and can be shared. Don't miss this place as they will be moving across Hwy. 98 shortly.

2  Thank Diboh

Reviewed February 20, 2007

Perhaps the reviewer of one of the best value restaurants on the Emerald Coast of 3.0/5.0 for take out food at Callahans should try a set down meal as he did at Hogs Breath.

I clearly would not order a pizza or phille sandwich as take out
in Chicago and identify the overal food quality as same .

Callahans has excellent food/value/service for lunch and dinner;that is why the locals dominate the patrons and the wait staff welcome you by first name and bring your favorite beverage before you place your order .

Although,we as rewiewers are not Frommers, Fodors or Epicourious,we have a duty to provide reasonable reviews
as to potential affects this may have on these business's.

Miramar beach local for many years.

4  Thank tlg46
Reviewed February 16, 2007

WE travel to Destin for three months each year from England,it is a ritual that the first meal eaten out has to be at Gallahans,English and USA daughters love it, the service is like nothing we would find here in England and the food is superb, we love the breakfast on Sat morns, lunch and dinners, we have nothing of this standard here in England ,we look forward to returning in Nov2007 when they will be in the new restraunt.

3  Thank dillyanne
Reviewed February 11, 2007

My wife and I visited on Monday, February 12th. It's sunny and 70 here, so we ordered ours to go and went to the beach---2min. away. She had a grilled cheese sandwich, chips and a pickle. I had a chicken salad sandwich, fries and a pickle. She had a can or Pepsi and I had a bottle of water----all for $17.50. Seemed a bit steep given what we were served and we're from Chicago where things aren't that cheap.

Grilled cheese was VERY greasy, but had good flavor with three types of cheese. My chicaken salad sandwich was okay. Not the best and not the worst. It was warm, which I don't care for----chicken salad, to me, should be cold. Fries were great looking as they were dipped in a batter of some sort. Too bad they cooked them in the same fryer as their fish. I don't like seafood, so I had a few fries and gave up b/c they tasted more like fish than the nice batter they had on them. What a shame...

I don't know----we went here based on the reviews. Hopefully we just had an "average" experience. There's a lot to like about the place---friendly staff, fun inside, etc. We just weren't impressed with the food, or the prices. Seemed like a $10 lunch to us.

1  Thank shumax
Reviewed January 8, 2007

Callahan's is the single best place to eat in Destin for a family. You can order lunch to go and pick it up (recommended given the potential for a wait) or dine in for a wonderful surf and turf dinner. Callahan's is a combination Deli/Restaurant with wonderful, huge lunch specials that make it ideal for lunch back in the condo after a morning on the beach. If going for dinner, plan to arrive a little early in case of a wait, and be patient trying to get a parking space. It can be difficult. But it is well worth the wait. The first phone call I would make upon arrival in Destin is over to Callahan's to get their list of specials for the week in order to plan out my dining menu. This is no tourist trap, but rather a local legend frequented by many folks who live here full time. Do not miss this one.

4  Thank scottieUT