“A really, very unique restaurant!”
Review of The Back Porch

The Back Porch
Ranked #20 of 310 Restaurants in Destin
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Back Porch Seafood & Oyster House has been a local favorite in Destin since 1974 serving the finest smoked tuna dip, ice-cold oysters and our famous char-grilled Amberjack. Happy Hour 3-5PM daily.
Reviewed May 1, 2014

You have to love the casualness of this place. Located right along the beach area, sunbathers often come up to the restaurant for food and drink. Weather permitting, all the windows are open and the sea breezes blow through the dining areas. Never had a bad meal and stop here every time we are in the Destin area. A big selection of seafood items from which to choose and moderately priced. A favorite hangout and a place not to pass up.

1  Thank BionicOne
Write a ReviewReviews (3,460)

Reviewed April 30, 2014

My husband and I visited The Back Porch in early April, and while the weather wasn't very accommodating, the food and service at The Back Porch was. I was very surprised by the margarita, it tasted like it was 'sparkling' and very, very tasty (in fact, I had 2!). We also had the onion rings - it was a large portion size, enough to definitely share. I thought they could have used a bit more salt, but I added from the table shaker.

I ordered the Grilled Jumbo Gulf Shrimp and thought they were awesome. The sides left a bit to be desired. The corn/bean medley was unappetizing and after the first small bite was left untouched and the cole slaw wasn't that great. My husband ordered the Crab Stuffed Mahi-Mahi (he LOVES seafood) but thought it was only 'eh'. His meal also came with the corn/bean medley which went untouched and he chose a twice baked potato which was good (I tried it, of course).

For dessert we shared a slice of the Key Lime Pie and enjoyed it immensely!

We had a table by the ocean, the windows were open and the breeze was awesome (though the weather was overcast with off and on rain).

Overall, I'd try again - if nothing else but for the margarita and shrimp! Also, we didn't get to see the cats (taste testers) but would have liked to.

1  Thank Cindy J
Reviewed April 30, 2014

By far one of my favorite places to eat, ever! I love that its right on the beach, its not pretentious and the food is great! Its busy often but the kiddos can play out on the sand while you wait. I highly recommend the Angry Amberjack, spicy with just the right kick. As far as I'm concerned, its the best spot in town!

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Everyone that has reviewed this restaurant is correct as far as the great bar drinks, the atmosphere, the service and the main entrees. What I was disappointed in were the sides - my twice baked potato was not warm, and my friend's onion rings were cold as well.

While it may just be personal taste, my friend's Angry Amberjack was "too angry" - too spicey.

Overall, I would still consider this restaurant a good place to go while on vacation in the Destin area.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

We went for dinner and had fish and chips, and spicy shrimp. Delicious. We liked it so much we went back the next day during Happy Hour. We had the largest raw oysters we have had since we've been here vacationing. And the drink specials can't be beat! The bartenders treated us like friends stopping by for a visit at their house. Great food and great people can be found at this restaurant. I'm sure we will go again before we go home.