“Nothing particularly remarkable about Osaka”

Osaka Japanese Hibachi Steakhouse & Sushi Bar
Ranked #106 of 300 Restaurants in Destin
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Osaka Japanese Hibachi Steakhouse & Sushi Bar is a family owned and operated business with three locations throughout Northwest Florida. Originally opened in Tallahassee, Florida, over 20 years ago, the Chou family takes pride in serving organic local produce, Gulf fresh seafood and the highest quality beef. Open daily for lunch and dinner, Osaka offers guests hibachi, a full service bar, and sushi and sashimi from their expansive sushi bar. Specializing in celebrations including birthdays, weddings and anniversaries, Osaka Japanese Hibachi Steakhouse & Sushi Bar locations include Tallahassee, Florida, Destin, Florida, and in spring 2015, Panama City Beach, Florida.
Niceville, Florida
“Nothing particularly remarkable about Osaka”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

Food is average...completely unremarkable. I would rate the sushi a bit higher than the Hibachi, which is average. Some of the sushi chefs are pretty friendly. The wait staff is typically rather aloof and distant. The place is always clean and fairly bright.

I would say that if you want an entertaining dinner with a full family, the kids tend to really love Hibachi. And while I think the food is mediocre, the "show" is pretty good...kids tend to love it.

I don't long to go back. Typically we go when someone buys us a gift certificate. There are a couple other places we prefer for sushi.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank RavenATB

Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Wonderful Sushi!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We have been to this place for a few years now every summer, and are never disappointed. I can't say anything about the hibachi side of the restaurant, because we always go just for the sushi, and sit on that side of the restaurant. There are lots of little local places around Destin that are great local eats, but for sushi this place has them all beat!! Huge selection, and always delicious.

• Visited July 2013
Destin, Florida
“Pitiful!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

So cold at our hibachi seats that we had to wear coats & gloves to eat and the food was ice cold in seconds. Despite all this, the management ignored our concerns even fought with us about paying full price. I live here and will tell all our friends to stay away from this rip-off dump.

3 Thank Greg M
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
“NOT KIND TO (vegan/vegetarian) CUSTOMERS. HARASSED BY HIBACHI COOK. FOOD BAD.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

My husband and I went for our two year wedding anniversary, and we left livid. I myself am vegan, whereas my husband is mostly pescatarian, and we love Japanese food. We have never had an issue anywhere until we tried Osaka's restaurant.

First, aside from my being harassed by a man I've never met before, who's only job is to cook the food I paid an OBSCENE amount for ($55 for two hiachi meals? Way better places around the area than Osaka)...
THE FOOD WAS BAD.
-Drenched the rice in soy sauce
-Soaked everything he cooked in tons of butter and oil
-Shrimp was undercooked/bad? Hubby says it tasted like dirty water...? To which he then had a terrible stomach ache the rest of the night.
-Noodles were greasy and tasted... different
-Salad was drowning in ginger sauce, to the point where it was inedible.

I asked for steamed rice instead of fried rice, and my request was ignored. Next, as the cook was serving out the main dish (i.e. for my husband, it was shrimp), and I told him I wasn't going to pick off my husband's plate for his shrimp, he noticed my order was just veggies. He then continued to harass me about how I "should eat cows because they're vegetarians" and "if (I) eat cows, I'm just eating vegetables, since they're vegetarians". He continued to laugh and make jokes at my expense even after he surely noticed I wasn't laughing and was just staring at him in disbelief, shaking from anger. He went on still, after a couple minute break (when I thought he was done...) to CONTINUE TO HARASS ME for my lifestyle... "you won't eat a cow, but you'll drink their milk?" He didn't have any smart comments after I told him I don't, in fact, drink cow's milk.

In the end, after all his taunts, he would not stop until I actually glared at him... but even then he just laughed and gave a half-assed apology ("Oh. Sorry, ma'am. I was just joking"). NEVER... have I felt so uncomfortable and alienated in a restaurant before. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. Not only was the food mediocre, but the service was down-right DISRESPECTFUL.

• Visited December 2013
11 Thank Jennifer M
Strongsville, Ohio
“BUGS!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

The service at this restaurant is very good. The chef was friendly and our table of 7 (including 2 children) was having a good time. After our chef left we found a bug walking across our table. At that point everyone was half way through their meal. We were all so disgusted that we stopped eating. When our server came back we brought it to his attention. He let us know that they just had the pest control in and that sometimes right after that the bugs are still around. We obviously asked to speak with the manager. TEN MINUTES later the server came back and offered us 15% off. Were they serious? We asked again to speak with the manager. ANOTHER TEN MINUTES and still no manager but we were offered 20% off. At this point we took it upon ourselves to seek out the manager. We found the owner at the front reception desk and from there the experience just got worse. She proceeded to argue with us about how much of the meal that we ate. Maybe if someone would have came to the table in the first place we wouldn't have had to make a scene in the lobby. Needless to say i will never go back here! Worst Management/Ownership EVER!

• Visited December 2013