“it used to be good”

Osaka Japanese Hibachi Steakhouse & Sushi Bar
Ranked #105 of 308 Restaurants in Destin
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Osaka Japanese Hibachi Steakhouse & Sushi Bar is a family owned and operated business with three locations throughout Northwest Florida. Originally opened in Tallahassee, Florida, over 20 years ago, the Chou family takes pride in serving organic local produce, Gulf fresh seafood and the highest quality beef. Open daily for lunch and dinner, Osaka offers guests hibachi, a full service bar, and sushi and sashimi from their expansive sushi bar. Specializing in celebrations including birthdays, weddings and anniversaries, Osaka Japanese Hibachi Steakhouse & Sushi Bar locations include Tallahassee, Florida, Destin, Florida, and in spring 2015, Panama City Beach, Florida.
Reviewed February 24, 2013

So, I had eaten at Osaka's on a number of occasions maybe a year and a half before my embarrassing last experience. I had just had a baby girl and was looking forward to enjoying some sushi again so after a trip to Destin for some shopping we stopped at Osaka's. I remembered great service, yummy sushi and perfectly cooked steak. I ordered gyoza and asked for pan fried--the waitress seemed confused but I had always ordered and gotten it this way so I was sure the cook would know. It came back fried and I thought no biggie; but I'll ask the waitress if she told the cook pan-fried (you know, steamed then seared)--she said she would check. Then the manager came out-I wasn't expecting that & he seemed irritated at my request and said they don't do that here. I told him I wouldn't have asked but I had gotten it that way before. He said he'd bring out steamed if that's what I prefer so I said yes. I can imagine the cook was mad at me because they brought out boiled dumplings (not steamed) and the water inside the dumplings burned my mouth. My husbands's kat-su-don was covered in an orange sauce that does not go on that dish (spicy mayo maybe?) My bento box with steak was disgusting. The steak tasted old and microwaved. The sushi was okay but we walked out $90 poorer, hungry and I was embarrassed. I'll never go back.

2  Thank Lauren M
There are newer reviews for Osaka Japanese Hibachi Steakhouse & Sushi Bar

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We had a party of 9 at the hibachi, and although I can't say this place is horrible, I would say that it is not worth the price paid for what you get. I started with the sushi and it wasn't bad, but not great. The portions are good at the hibachi, but the quality you would expect for the price point, just didn't seem to line up for us, so we all felt a little let down at the experience. They use seasonings as overkill, so the food tastes more american with a Japanese accent, then real Japanese cuisine. If you are in the mood for real Japanese or Asian cuisine, save yourself the time and money and go to a restaurant that specializes in them.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I recently wrote a great review for Osaka as I thoroughly enjoyed it in the past.

A co-worker who has also had a great previous experience here commented on a recent visit to Osaka that they were seated at the Hibachi table next to another family of four who abruptly got up and left. They could not determine what made them leave so quickly until they saw a line of ants going across the hibachi grill.

Needless to say my friend also got up and left. Now this to me isn't a typical visit to Osaka as I have always thought the food was good although slightly pricey, but when going for quality Japanese food I typically expect to pay more.

With all this said, I am sure that the owners and managers will get it taken care of.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Tasty, fun food. Overpriced (way) for what you get. Pay more for the show. They add gratuity automatically. Wait staff was slow & easily confused. Long waits with empty glasses. Did I mention over priced; rocks glass cocktails were $7.50 a piece with extra $1.00 charge for something (ice maybe?). Very loud. Big differences in cooks... ours not very personable, just going thru motions of his script. All in all, OK at best. Plenty other options in Destin area for good food for two under $120.

1  Thank TIMOTHY S
Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

The food is good but its about $20 and up. Go here multiple times a year. Always fun, and the chefs are really entertaining.