“Pelican Beach Resort”

Ranked #6 of 55 Specialty Lodging in Destin
georgia
“Pelican Beach Resort”
Reviewed October 16, 2006

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Pelican Beach Resort. Had a 1bdr/2bath unit on the 17th floor with a beautiful view of the Gulf. The condo was decent for the off-season price, needed some fresh paint and new linens. The location is good, close to a lot of restaurants. The resort is nice, indoor/outdoor pool and another outdoor pool with hot tub. Since it's off-season it wasn't very crowded but the private beach area isn't very big so it would be very crowded during peak season. Pool bar had great drinks but was only open one day not sure if food is served there in the summer. Loved the beach but not sure if we'd stay there in the summer due to the crowds.

1 Thank georgia4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
desoto county mississippi
Reviewed October 7, 2006

We just returned home from pelican beach resort; it was great.the condo we were in was on the 20th floor; the gulf view was great. the condo was furnished very beautifully and the hotel and staff were great. The central location made Destin and all its attractions very accessable. I would reccomend Pelican Beach resot to anyone young and old.

• Liked — The view of the beach and the beach
  • Disliked — everything was great except for having to leave
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
Memphis, TN
Reviewed September 5, 2006

We stayed in Room #205.The Dryer did not work in the room we stayed in. It took 30 hours from the time we contacted them about the dryer for them to resolve it. They resolved are problem by giving us a key to another room #101. When we started washing in room 101 we found out the washer was broken in that room not to mention the stench that was in room 101 was so awful you had to hold your breath while you were in there. So we ended up washing in room #205 on the second floor and carrying close down to the first floor to dry. Standing in water while you take a shower is not a shower. The drains in both showers would retain water for awhile. The carpeting in #205 was marked with stains and looked 20 years old even though this building had been built in 2001. One of the elevators smelled like someone had urinated in it. Management is supposed to give me a %10 discount off my total bill. It has been 24 hours since I checked out and I have not seen it credited back to me. I called management today and they acted as though I was wasting their time. They said it would be taken care of. I am staying somewhere else for sure next time.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — room
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not go to this place.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank dsharrison
farmington
Reviewed August 19, 2006

We just got back from another wonderful time at Pelican Beach, we stayed in the same condo,an it was like coming home.
I was so glad to see the sign about not being able to use towels to save chairs,that was great. also my daughters makeup bag with her contacs and makeup got left in a chair in the lobby and was turned in a the front desk, every one there is so nice and friendly.
I love the new boardwalk down to the beach that is great too.
I can't wait togo back again next year.

• Liked — everything can't pick just 1
  • Disliked — the shower did't drain very well
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 12, 2006

A friend and I stayed at the Pelican Beach resort through the Fourth of July and it was like Panama City during Spring Break!! I was actually shocked that such a nice clean hotel would allow such filthy and rude guest to over take the place as they did. There were lots of younger people who were so vulgar that I was embarrased. I am 25 and like to have a good time, but I know how to pick up my trash after myself and I try to be respectful to the people around me, especially when there is small children around. These kids were constantly drinking, cursing and trashing the place. This honestly happened when I was there: One girl was so drunk that she pulled her baithing suit bottoms down and was sitting under the shower you use to wash the sand off of you before you re-enter the hotel. When others were trying to tell her to please move along, she told them in choice words that she was "messed" up and she didn't care. Then one night this guy had cut his foot severly on someting on the beach, (probably a glass bottle left behind) and the ambulance came. When the EMT's asked the girl that was with him what his last name was, she was so intoxicated that she could not remember his last name and she told the EMT " I don't know, just put something down." We decided to go to the beach early one morning, around 7:00, to avoid the "rowdy crowd". When we got out there there were chairs that had already been put out by other guest. A group of kids came and sat in some chairs near us. Well after they had a few beers (yes they were already drinking at 8 in the morning) one of the guys broke the chair he was sitting in. When he did he asked one of the girls with him "who's chairs are these anyway?" and my friend and I were in shock. We figured the chairs were theirs since they were in them. About that time the owner of the chairs came by and asked them to move while his wife picked up the beer cans they had already dropped aroud their area. I guess as you can see, I was disappointed in the Pelican Beach. I figured for the price we paid we would be able to have a relaxing vacation, but that was not the case. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, you are supposed to be 25 to rent a condo but upon check in, we were never asked to present an ID. So any age could have gotten a room. I guess these kids already had that figured out. The rooms were very clean but I'm sure the maids had their work cut out after that crowd left. Especially since they had no way to pinpoint who trashed the place because an ID wasn't required. I would not stay at the Pelican Beach Resort again and if you are a family with small children, I would strongly advise against it, at least during the 4th. Oh yeah and in agreement with the review bofore this one, we also saw the cops run the kids off the beach the night of the fourth. Needless to say you weren't allowed to walk on the beach after that that night because they had ruined it for the rest of the guest (and you might cut your foot on something.)

• Stayed July 2006
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 7, 2006

This is our third year to stay at the Pelican Resort and it gets worse every year. The room was nice enough which is good because the beach was so crowded you could barely walk to get to the ocean. A very rowdy crowd who by the end of drinking from funnels all day were pretty wild and scary. Police patroled the beach but did little. We were scared to go to the beach at night because of pot smoking and drinking they even closed the beach early 4th of July and made everyone leave it got so bad. It was just like Spring Break. We were on the first floor and people were urinating off the balconies, throwing ice cubes at people on the sunning deck, had taken their condo doors off and laid them against their balcony & nothing was said. I laid one beach towel over my balcony and a bathing suit on a chair and got a call from front desk to get them off the balcony. One night at 1:00 a.m. we were asleep and security banged on our door loudly and asked if we had called with a problem. No we hadn't but now that you mention it, stop knocking!
We rode around and wrote down names of other condos we'll try next year. May be the same ol' thing but at least Pelican won't be getting my money again.

• Stayed July 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta 'burbs
Reviewed June 20, 2006

My family and I just returned from a stay at Pelican Beach. We were please with our room, but noticed there was no crib. We had specifically requested a crib. In fact we heavily emphasized how important it was to have one and requested to be contacted ASAP if they would be unavailable to provide one. So we called front desk and they said they'd "check into it". They called back and cheerfully reported that they would have us a crib the next day. We explained that my daughter would like somewhere to sleep that night and probably couldnt wait until the next day. They said the only crib they had left was broken, but they could look up the number to Crib Connection for us (a local service providing cribs to tourists, not associated with the resort). We felt like they should call Crib Connection and make the arrangements for us since they screwed up. They said we would have to do it ourselves and not ONCE did they even hint at apologizing for screwing up so royally.
The second day of our trip my daughter had been playing in the kiddie pool for about 10-15 minutes when a security gaurd came over and told us to leave because the kiddie pool was closed (there were other kids in the pool too). I asked why it was closed (it was the middle of the day) and he simply said there had been an accident and refused to elaborate. There had been no sign up or anything indicating the pool was closed. I was concerned about what my daughter had been exposed to, so I went to the front desk. The girl there also simply said there was an accident, but I asked her to elaborate because I was concerned for my daughter. The front desk girl was obviously irritated with me and just said that someone had thrown up in the pool "whatever THAT means". Needless to say I spent the rest of the trip paranoid about my daughter's health. I did notice that later there was a sign up marking the pool as closed.
The one problem with the room itself was the bedroom. It faced the hall and the window only had blinds and a valance (no curtain) so even in the middle of the night it looked bright through the window.
The beach was very disappointing too. There was very little beach front and what little was there, they saturated with rental chairs and umbrellas. There was no place for my daughter to play in the sand. The chairs were placed all the way up to the water's edge, so you couldn't even walk the beach. Not that they wanted you to do that anyways, your in room info instructed guests to stay on the beach immediately behind the resort property. Humph. Fortunately we had friends staying at another resort up the road and their beach was WONDERFUL, so we hung out there.
I did not care for the location either. While it was beachfront, it was also located on the main four lane highway. Many of the other resorts/condos are located on the scenic highway which is more of a beach road and has a more laid back feel.
I will say the room was very nice and spacious with bunk beds built into the hallway, so it could easily sleep a family of four with out using the sleeper sofa. This was a one bedroom unit. We were on the top floor and the view from our balcony was unbeatable. However it just isnt worth the lousy service. Maybe if you enjoy being treated like dirt, you can enjoy this place.
Also, there are kids everywhere. They do not have an adults only pool. This was fine for us as we traveled with our 2 year old. She always found other kids to play with, especially her own age. However, if you are looking for a quiet getaway from kids, this isnt it.

• Stayed June 2006