“Super Value is the Only Word for This Place”

Extended Stay America - Destin - US 98 - Emerald Coast Pkwy.
Ranked #36 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Atlanta, GA
“Super Value is the Only Word for This Place”
Reviewed May 6, 2010

Been feeling a little tense lately (family matters) and knew that I needed an escape to the beach. Took off and headed to Destin, FL., wanted to see the water one more time before any oil made it to the Gulf Coast of Florida. Average hotel pricing ranged from about $89 to well over $200 for a night. Found the Motel 6 at $49 plus tax, however it was further away from the part of the beach that I wanted. Left the reservation intact, however I grabbed a set of hotel discount flyers as I drove into Florida. The Extended Stay America had a coupon for $39 plus tax. Called ahead just before getting to Destin and they had a room available (smoking though) for that price. I'm a non-smoker, but the clerk suggested I inspect it to see if it met my needs.

Surprisingly, there was only a hint of smoke and I took the room at that fantastic price. Why was it a value?
Location- Although it is not on the beach, the hotel is just off of the main thoroughfare through Destin and less than a 5 minutes drive from the beach.
Exterior- For the price I was kind of expecting a poor appearance, but no that was not the case. It is not fancy, but it does look like it has been kept up.
Lobby- The lobby was small, but the clerk, which is the ones that I had talked to on the phone was real nice and gave me the room tour. Again I was pleased.
Room- Extended stays are for business folks who spend multiple days in the same area. So although not super large, the room had a two burner stove, medium sized refrigerator, coffee pot, small microwave and sink.
Furnishings- Well basic is the word, but in no way did they look worn down or torn up. The bed was not fancy, but it was fine for a good night's sleep.
Wifi- I had to pay 5 dollars for wifi access. I didn't expect that, but based on the room's price, I didn't complain too much.
Surroundings- Being just off the main drag, there are a ton of places within a 3 minute drive from here. Home Depot, Cracker Barrell restaurant, a huge outlet mall, Fresh Market, several restaurants like Outback, Carrabas and a Publix supermarket.

This is not a fancy place. However, when you think of the fact that I paid less than half of the lowest average rate and it is not a dump. Well, that is value, right?

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Lifetraveler1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Houston, TX
Reviewed March 20, 2010

Everything is fine except the beds. Beds are hard and pillows have 5 cotton balls at best. The location is a little east of the main area. Its only a small drive to the crab trap for a great beach experience. Breakfast was horrible, Bagels tasted like cardboard and never had orange juice.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Plano,TX
Reviewed March 20, 2010

I would like to take this time to commend Extended Stay America on Opa Locka Lane in Destin, Florida. This was truly a remarkable hotel for the price point.

We stayed during the week of Spring Break March 15th-18th and our rate was only $69.99, when all the surrounding hotels and condos were asking $99.00+. I enjoyed the privacy, room service allowed us to sleep in w/o disturbing daily to clean the room.

Room cleaning is available daily upon request. We were pretty self-sufficient. Their is a kitchen with dishes, pots, microwave, toaster, and full size refrigerator. I did not have to spend a fortune on restaurants for every meal. We only ate out for dinner.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND AJ'S SEAFOOD RESTAURANT!!! Great taste and prices. Brusters down the highway have good chicken strips and ice-cream too.

Sorry I drifted for a moment. The hotel will exchange towels with you daily as well. We had contemporary style beds just as you see in the pictures on the website. We went to Destin at a bad time weather wise but thanks to the comfort of our room we were able to spend the afternoon in the room on Wednesday without my 8 yr old being bored to death.

If you have kids you must also visit the gulfarium and Emerald Coast Science Center. (pretty cool)

I am already planning a trip for this summer with the rest of the family...Hopefully we can reserve about 7 rooms when we return.

P.S. I hope your stay will be as Great as ours!!

1 Thank carterke
Georgia
Reviewed September 21, 2009

We chose to go to this hotel because it was the best value for the price. We were able to cook all our meals in the hotel room and saved a lot of money. The hotel was a short drive away from the beach with free parking. However, we had two double beds in our room, but one of the bed was unbelievably uncomfortable. The pillows that were on that bed were so thinned out that it was as thin as the sheets! =( Since we paid only $45 per night, we just had to endure two nights discomfort. If you are on a budget, this hotel will be well suited for you, but if you want a relaxing time, pay a little more and go to another hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
arkansas
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Hi my name is Joann Aldridge, and we drove to destin with no accomidations to stay. We found this holtel called extendedstayamerica in destin florida and loved it. I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay, it had a kitchenett in it which saved us money as far as fast food. The location was great it was about 5 min from the henderson beach state park and the same to the closest walmart and outlet malls! My stay was so good i will be returning to this hotel.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 6, 2009

Wow...where do I start? The rooms are very small, the bathroom was gross and the toilet squealed. The walls are paper thin so we asked to be moved to another room. It was freezing in Destin that weekend and there were literally 10 cars there the whole time yet when they moved us they moved us across the hall from the one we just left and not even to another floor. The second room was even dirtier; there was still trash in the trashcan and food in the mini-fridge. I would NOT recommend this hotel for anyone with kids, even one kid with the lack of space. Spend the extra money and go somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Cornwall, Ontario
Reviewed December 4, 2008

We arrived without reservations and had no problem getting a Non-Smoking Room with a king size bed and kitchen facilities.

The ballast in our ceiling light burned out and they had it replaced within about 20 minutes. The serviceman even vacuumed the carpet after he finished.

This hotel is pet friendly but even though my wife has asthma and I found a dog tag under the bed, thare was no smell of animal and we had no problem there.

The one complaint I have is that the hallway always smelled of cigarette smoke, especially in the area of the front desk and only in the day time. The day clerk used to step out for a smoke and leave the door open, and the smell would come right into the hallway. When I asked why there was always a smell of smoke, he replied he had no idea.

I would recommend this hotel and don;t be shy about complaining about the smoke if it bothers you.

• Liked — King size bed and kitchen facilities
  • Disliked — Smell of cigarette smoke in hallway
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)