“dirty but handy for the beach and starbucks”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #35 of 39 Hotels in Destin
San Diego
“dirty but handy for the beach and starbucks”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

front desk guy was really nice, brought up extra pillows, air conditioner was filthy with dead debris, but it worked after I cleaned it out. maintenance has never heard of a shop vac, every vent and popcorn ceiling was darkened or dusty..

Seems to be the flop house for the local construction personnel. Bathroom light takes about 5 minutes to turn on, there is only one over the sink. Shower is counter intuitive. but still if you price compare and think they all look the same with lights off the place is a 3 out of a ten

if the owner(s) sunk some $ into this place it is close to the same lovely beaches that others are charging tons more for.

Room Tip: try to take a peak
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BulkSanDiego
Michelle W, Public Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for your post. I am glad you liked our location, being close to the beaches and yummy Starbucks. Thank you for your business!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I checked in at 7pm but left to go to dinner and get groceries. Returned at 10pm and had complaints by 11 that I called in to the front desk (black mold all over picture above bed, broken outlet cover easy to access wire and get shocked, out of date elevator cert). However I was trying to get my toddler to sleep so switching rooms was not an option. He finally fell asleep around 1am. My 14 yr old was severely congested by midnight but we assumed he was getting a cold. My 2 yr old woke up all night long signing "please" and crying. At 4am I finally had enough and also a severe headache and went to the front desk. We checked out at 5am and went back at 7am to discuss w the manager Jeff, about our troubles. Jeff was extremely nasty to me, bordeline verbally abusive. He said what makes you think mold behind the glass on the pictures is the cause of your troubles. Asked me was I an expert on mold? Chewed me out because I had a bad night?!?!?!? Jeff has no business working customer service. He treated me like garbage. Also, standing outside smoking all the time is not professional. I was not refunded for the terrible room bc I stayed from 10pm til 4am. $200.48 for headaches and no sleep.
Update** spoke to owner, supposed to issue refund. Hopefully the also issue Jeff a pink slip, and remodel this facility. Owner is MUCH kinder than Jeff. Appreciate the final outcome.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank sarah m
Thank you for posting about your update. Thank you for your business.
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I checked in at 7pm but left to go to dinner and get groceries. Returned at 10pm and had complaints by 11 that I called in to the front desk. However I was trying to get my toddler to sleep so switching rooms was not an option. He finally fell asleep around 1am. My 14 yr old was severely congested by midnight but we assumed he was getting a cold. My 2 yr old woke up all night long signing "please" and crying. At 4am I finally had enough and also a severe headache and went to the front desk. We checked out at 5am and went back at 7am to discuss w the manager Jeff, about our troubles. Jeff was extremely nasty to me. He said what makes you think mold behind the glass on the pictures is the cause of your troubles. Asked me was I an expert on mold? Chewed me out because I had a bad night?!?!?!? Jeff has no business working customer service. Also, standinf outside smoking all the time is not professional. I was not refunded for the terrible room bc I stayed from 10pm til 4am. $200.48 for headaches and no sleep. I will be posting pics. Yes the VISIBLE mold is on a picture, but that does not mean that the room is not full of mold and simply covered by paint and carpet. Exposed wires is dangerous, and the elevator is almost a yr out of date on its certification

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank sarah m
Thank you for your information. I will address this with our ownership team. I am very sorry you had a bad experience.
Dunlap, Tennessee
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This place is nothing but a dump & I don't know how it is still open & hasn't been shut down! We arrived & the room smelled like cigarrett smoke (supposed to be non-smoking room) & smelled really musty! There was mold in the air conditioning unit, dead bugs all in the floor! We pulled the couch bed out for my teenage son & his friend to sleep on & it had dirty sheets on it, had a wet spot on it & smelled like urine! The sheets & blanket they gave us at the front desk to go on the couch bed had holes cut all in them & were stained & smelled dirty! We called front desk & they offered to move us to another room which had 2 queen beds instead of the kind we paid for, got to it & it smelled even worse! Mold was in that air conditioning unit also, as well as exposed wires in the wall where it looked like a smoke detector was supposed to go but was missing! My son's friend had just laid down to sleep & the headboard to the bed fell off the wall & hit him in the head! We had no choice but to stay as everything else was booked & by this time it was 1:00 in the morning! The front desk did take a tiny portion off our bill but not much considering what we had to deal with! This room wasn't worth any amount of money & I wouldn't wish a stay here on my worst enemy! It should be shut down & condemned!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Courtney S
Michelle W, Public Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
We appreciate you letting us know about your experience. As a valued guest, we are sorry we were not able to meet your expectations. Your stay should be enjoyable, not stressful. I will let the owners know about your experience. Thank you for your business.
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed June 21, 2013

What a dump stay away!! Wish I would have read the reviews. When we got to the hotel I was on crutches and had just got out of surgery had my 2 young kids and wife for our vacation. We went to check in to the front desk and they said they didn't even have a room for us, but they had our name down for a reservation in their computer?? OK? Said they could get us in for 2 nights but nothing more on a 5 night reservation. Nothing done to comp us or anything even had asked if we could stay and get one night free or something for the trouble. Asked for the manager and the clerk said he was the manager. God I hope not! When we got to our room the toilet was plugged, not enough towels in room for showers, hair dryer didn't work room smelled of smoke and mildew(supposed to be non-smoking), carpet was disgusting would not let my kids take off their shoes. Basically the room was nothing like the pictures online, water stains and paint falling off walls and ceiling, ice machines did not work and elevators kept jamming. Great while you are on crutches. One couple we seen there said we were luck because the elevators weren't even working the past couple days along with ice machines. Breakfast that was supposed to be included didn't even look safe to eat we had to go out. As a topper when are children were making their bed on the pullout couch they found a pocket knife?? Was beyond mad that I didn't make a big stink at the front desk at checkout as I had already voiced my opinion of the poor service at checkin. When I gave them the knife and told them where it was found there was no reaction?? As a business owner I know the value of customer reviews and loyalty. At the most they could have been concerned. After looking at the inspection report and recent food violations for the( Chauhan Inc.) at Scenic Gulf this morning. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by the service and food quality. Not sure this place should be open for service the public. We left after the one night. We would have left that night if we had another option but due to limited mobility we had no choice.

Room Tip: Country Inn up the street helped us out in a pinch. Funny one of the other guests we meet came here...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Mike6220
Michelle W, Public Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for your time to let us know about your recent stay and unpleasant opportunities at our property. I am very sorry to hear about all of the issues you mentioned in your review. I will ensure you I will address this with the GM and owners as this is not how our guest should experience a stay with us.
Thank you for your review and thank you for your business.
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Would never stay here again. Toilet doesn't work right, no maid service, hair dryer on its last legs, reserved king room, didn't get it and room with a view is looking out over other houses and buildings. The breakfast is cereal and a few waffles. The only positive is its location across the street from the outlet shops. Save your money and find another hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Jeanniebeani
Michelle W, Public Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for yout time in posting about your recent stay. I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations. We will address your concerns Thank you for your business!!
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Where to begin...the inspection certificate on the elevator has expired...exposed wires where a lamp switch should be...no internet connection...grimy furniture...loose boards on the boardwalk...no view of the beach...leaking shower and sink...phone in the room didn't always work. Staff is overall helpful unless you want wifi, then they'll tell you whatever you want to hear, even though it isn't true. Oh yeah, and someone wrote "poop" on the ceiling in red ink.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Maimeodog
Thank for your taking time to post about your recent stay. I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations. We will address your comments and concerns. We do appreciate your business!!