“Not perfect, but definitely a satisfying stay...”

Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis, MN
“Not perfect, but definitely a satisfying stay...”
Reviewed November 18, 2006

The Hilton Sandestin is far from perfect, but overall the pros surely outweigh the cons.

Here's what I liked:
* The ocean view was amazing.
* The spa was phenomonal. The women't locker room had a steam room, whirlpool, sauna and various amenities (towels, tea, juice, snacks, etc.). I had 3 services (pedicure, massage and facial) and they were all above par.
* Even though it was grossly overpriced (like all room service), a Pizza Hut menu was available for room service.
*There was a microwave, fridge and coffeemaker in each room.
*There were 3 pools (2 outdoor, 1 indoor) that had great hours and were actually deep (8 feet!).
* Easy access to an amazing beach.
*Complimentary shuttle to a village-type place with shopping and restaurants.

Here's what I didn't like:
* The room could have been cleaner. It was messy from the previous occupant, rather it was just in dire need of a deep clean (windows, patio door tracks, etc.).
* It hosts a lot of events so there is a party atmosphere that can be over the top. I got in an elevator that someone had just thrown up in. It was being clean up, but it was still gross.
*The deli/store is only open until 2p, so after that, you're SOL unless you get room service or go out.

• Liked — The pools and the ocean access.
  • Disliked — Could have been cleaner.
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a room in the Spa Tower -- they're much nicer and cleaner that the Emerald Tower.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
7 Thank kit444

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
usa
Reviewed October 13, 2006

I felt like I was in the paradise while staying here.
The resort was everything I wanted and more.
The staff went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect.
And the veiws from the room were breathtaking.
Walking on the warm white sand looking into the emereld colored ocean was something I will never forget.
I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for Paradise.

Stayed September 2006
Bartonville Texas
Reviewed October 3, 2006

We booked the Hilton Sandestin for four days in September. Front staff was friendly. Our room (very very pricey) was dirty, moldy and left over food left on the balcony. The breakfast buffet is a first come first serve and we waited over an hour and a half for breakfast, which was marginal - too much salt. We ordered Room Service the next morning and it was over an hour and half before we received it - then the bill was incorrect. Golfing was great as was the beach - my wife went to the Deli and found no one there to check her items out. We cancelled our vacation on the second day. The checkout statement was incorrect, and most of the guests around me were arguing about their charges on their bills. This hotel could become a very cosmopolitan resort with the right staff. Otherwise it is poorly poorly managed. Sad - because the concept has great potential. People should be warned of the high mold content in the rooms.

• Liked — the beach and golf
  • Disliked — All the hidden charges and the gross incompetence of the staff and check out statements
  • Tips/Secrets — Choose another hotel resort in Destin
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank bodiddly305
Kentucky
Reviewed October 2, 2006

I stayed at the Hilton over the Labor Day holiday this year, and my room was in the Emerald Tower. Like other reviewers, my room needed maintenance. The ceiling by the closet was dripping wet, literally dripping wet, part of the ceiling acoustic was missing, and it was black with mold. The bath sink was deeply cracked all the way across, and much of the finish was missing. The walls were covered in black scuff marks, and the balcony door was stuck shut. The hotel was full and I could not get a different room; maintenance did come, though, and got the balcony door unstuck and back on the track. Yes, some of my complaints are just aesthetic, but for the room rate, I expected better.

• Liked — Beachfront
  • Disliked — Room needed refurbishment
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
4 Thank maiasmom
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed September 24, 2006

I have traveled all over the world and have stayed at all kinds of hotels, especially as a Hilton Diamond member. I was staying at this hotel for a weekend getaway courtesy of my employer. Check-in to the hotel was smooth and we were given a room in the Serenity Spa tower - it looked newly refurbished and was very clean. However, when we arrived at the room we found a welcome package for a wedding that we were not there to attend. I called the front desk and asked if we could be moved to another room, with a better view. We were on the third floor and had a view of the parking lot with a little sliver of beach if you turned your head all the way to the left. They asked if we would mind moving towers in order to get a beach front room on the 12th floor. I told them it would be no problem.

I went back to the front desk and got the new room keys - for the 13th floor. When we arrived at the new "better" room I was shocked. Yes, it did have a beach front view but the room looked and smelled like it had suffered severe water damage. The ceiling was covered in mold and the smell was disgusting. The carpet and furniture was dingy and stained. I called the front desk and told them this room was unacceptable. They offered to move us again to a room on the 9th floor. I told them to send a bellhop with the key because I was not coming down to the front desk again.

This third room was "acceptable" but was not up to the Hilton quality resort I was expecting. Last time I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Amelia Island and it was perfect in every way. This room was cleaner but was still not as nice as the Spa Tower room. After a 7 hour drive and starving I was too tired to move again. Bottom line, request a room in the Spa Tower with an ocean facing room to get your money's worth.

Other notes: Room service breakfast was 30 minutes later than requested. The spa was great but PACKED and not very relaxing. Massage was nice but they will not do any deep tissue work. Marine Facial was very good.

• Liked — Beachfront Location
  • Disliked — Varying quality of the rooms.
  • Tips/Secrets — Request a Spa Tower room.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank JennNiko
Breaux Bridge LA
Reviewed September 5, 2006

I really loved this hotel! It's so beautiful and so realaxing.If you have extra money try the spa,it's worth every penny. Some of the extra perks are pricey but their worth it.

• Liked — how it's decorated
  • Disliked — the tolilet in my bathroom kept overflowing
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled with family
Gainesville
Reviewed September 2, 2006

Rates were too high for this hotel. They charge for everything. Beach umberellas were higher than the Ritz Carlton in Amelia Island (I loved by the way). Hotel Staff are not friendly and don't act like they are happy. The room was very clean. Pools were ok. A "special" guest was too arive the weekend I stayed. They spent too much time cleaning the hotel areas than for "regular" guest. I asked one of the crew members that was doing the cleaning/inspection.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple